10.3: Is it faster than 10.2 on a G4 based machine?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Anybody know?

(Note: I'm not complaining, I'm just curious)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

Anybody know?

(Note: I'm not complaining, I'm just curious)

Uhmmm... Heeelllooooo???
  • Reply 2 of 47
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Supposed to be. Finder is re-written so i would assume it is.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    medialabmedialab Posts: 19member
    The only two "beach ball makers" I had left were Internet Explorer and the Finder. Safari has taken care of IE, let's hope the new Finder is as stable as it is fast.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    I would sure as #$@ hope so. I mean..what, I get a NEW Mac..only ot have it get trounced months later? I know there will be a big pefromance difference betweetn the G5 adn G4 - but panther should *have* to be faster than jag on a G4..please steve?

• Reply 5 of 47
    rmendisrmendis Posts: 71member
    Anyone have 'stats' on what sort of speed imporovements to expect when going from Jaguar to Panther.

To be honest, otherwise, there wouldn't be much incentive to upgrade. I'm not particularly bowled over by the new features in Panther.

No mention of Quartz Extreme or it's successor which was supposed to boost 'snappiness'.

Anyone know if it is 'snappier' that is has better user responsiveness?
  • Reply 6 of 47
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rmendis

Anyone have 'stats' on what sort of speed imporovements to expect when going from Jaguar to Panther.

To be honest, otherwise, there wouldn't be much incentive to upgrade. I'm not particularly bowled over by the new features in Panther.

No mention of Quartz Extreme or it's successor which was supposed to boost 'snappiness'.

Anyone know if it is 'snappier' that is has better user responsiveness?

Er, missed the whole Preview portion did you?

Preview uses the PDF engine in Quartz.

So do many many things in the graphics system.

The PDF engine just underwent a *HUGE* speed boost.

Ie, Quartz just got sped up tremendously.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    rmendisrmendis Posts: 71member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Er, missed the whole Preview portion did you?

Well, perhaps PDF rendering got sped up.

How come Apple didn't make an issue out of speed improvements then?

What i wish to know if it is snappier...that has largely to do with Mac OS X event handling, i imagine.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Will there be more AltiVec G4 optimization? Will it be faster on PowerBook G4s? I was skeptical that Jag would be faster on my iBook but daaaamn it was so I expect Panther to as much of an improvement on the PowerBook G4.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

I hope you are right, but performance improvements in Preview could also mean that only this particular application has been heavily optimized. Unless someone knowing more about the new system says otherwise...
  • Reply 10 of 47
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I hope you are right, but performance improvements in Preview could also mean that only this particular application has been heavily optimized. Unless someone knowing more about the new system says otherwise...

If I am not terribly mistaken, the app cannot be optimized anymore. An executable which is 128 KB and which only shows pages of PDF files (basically, only interacts with NSImage) is, in general, not subject to optimizations.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

If I am not terribly mistaken, the app cannot be optimized anymore.

So, you say that the Preview example is probably a good indication of heavy system-level optimizations? Good to hear that.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Read the top thread, on a g4 350mhz a developer claims it is SIGNIFICANTLY faster.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    lets think. are there any reasons it would be slower. NO. Apple will probably make it faster for every machine
  • Reply 14 of 47
    All I can say is the new Finder better be a lot snappier®
  • Reply 15 of 47
    retrograderetrograde Posts: 503member
    I suppose it is futile to ask whether there will be any speed or performance improvements for those lowly G3 users out there?

I am running an iBook 500... maybe just a faint glimmer of hope?

Maybe it will run without any speed hits? That wouldn't be too bad.

Even if it runs only a touch slower... maybe I could "get used to" that?

C'mon someone, throw me a bone!
  • Reply 16 of 47
    gee4orcegee4orce Posts: 165member
    Every version of Mac OS X since Public Beta has added more features, yet increased speed. Compare to Windows, where every new version adds 'features', but at the cost of decreased speed - and relies on faster PC hardware to make up the difference.

Now we have faster Mac hardware too. Holy crap.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Preview/Quartz are not the same thing. However, it is reasonable to think that some of the optimisations that went into Preview MAY apply to quartz.

Quartz is a LOT more complex than PDFs. And it's OpenGL-accelerated, which I imagine complicates things.

Preview simply displays 2D pdfs, and lets you scroll up and down. What slows down Quartz noticeably is stuff like resizing windows (ugh).

However, I'd have to say that on my 'book, Quartz is pretty "snappy." And apparently Panther has more Quartz Extreme goodness.

Unix never looked so beautiful!
  • Reply 18 of 47
    panther FLIES !! no doubt about it. Runing on my G4 867 with 1gb and its like using a new machine.

Also much faster without QuartzExtreme ( tried on G4 450/640Mb RAM) but screen is not as snappy.

From my own perspective, the biggest difference is in keyboard responsiveness when typing. Remember those grumbles about how slow typing into Terminal was ? ? well not anymore ! It's easily a match for my 2GHz PIV running XP.

The quality of this release is excellent too. The attention to detail everywhere is astounding. Everything I've tried so far has worked: bluetooth, downloading pix off USB camera into Image Capture is probably 3X faster, Wacom tablet, SMS from AddressBook via Bluetooth, X11 ? you name it.

New Finder is fab ?_can't live without it already.

The only problem I think is with the continuous iDisk synchronization ? seems to keep resynching and bogging down the Finder.

Apple have done an amazing job, it's like they stripped out the old vinyl interior and covered everything with the best leather !

What this OS must be like on a G5 I have no idea but it must be amazing ?
  • Reply 19 of 47
    Forgot to mention, the overall feel is much more mac OS9 like, from the labels to the menus, to the keyboard shortcuts .. This must finally be the release that wins over all those OS9 die-hards.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    it's very much faster on my g4. Think OS 9 speeds. it's that close. It will change the way you work.