Post your G5 mod images. (Imaginary at the moment)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Photoshop fun.

I thought this would be fun with lots of other possiblilities. It breaks the clean expanse of holes in the front, but fun nonetheless.

Flatpainter

So much for anonymity.

EDIT:

I might be easy to do this using a product for car repair called "Metal Putty" that hardens strong enough to repair wheel cracks and engine damage. don't know how it would buff or sand down effectively. talk about voiding the warranty. :P

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    I would think that the first modthat everyone will do after about 2-3 months is to have furry lint balls blowing out of all those holes.....

I'll do some work on a mod I would like to see however.

MSKR
  • Reply 2 of 52
    isegwayisegway Posts: 133member

G5 with NPL Super Black coating. The "blackest", most light absorbing substance known to man.

super black
  • Reply 3 of 52
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Lite-Brite!!! Sweet!
  • Reply 4 of 52
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Lite-Brite!!! Sweet!

Ha, ha, that is a GREAT idea!
  • Reply 5 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by flatpainter

Photoshop fun.

I thought this would be fun with lots of other possiblilities. It breaks the clean expanse of holes in the front, but fun nonetheless.

Breaking that "clean expanse of holes" is exactly what it needs.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

Breaking that "clean expanse of holes" is exactly what it needs.

I don't know that I agree with that. My mod is just a bit of fun.

Another thread had a complaint about the asymmetry of the front ports position. As an artist/designer, I respect Ive's choice. Having the ports to the side is logical due to the placement of the mobo. It also reduces the stiffness of the face by breaking the large flat surface with the small lower spot at the lower left. Your eye is drawn to it and gives it just that little bit of unevenness it could use.

Flatpainter
  • Reply 7 of 52
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    the first mod we'll see is having people stick cold cathode lights into that case, making it shine bright everywhere.

(doesn't mean that's going to be beautiful, though)
  • Reply 8 of 52
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I think a cool mod would be a thin , 1.5" or so, panel the goes on the inside that displays rolling text through the mesh. A control panel that allows you to input text would rock too.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

I think a cool mod would be a thin , 1.5" or so, panel the goes on the inside that displays rolling text through the mesh. A control panel that allows you to input text would rock too.

Probably not a good idea. It would only run as long as the constricted airflow permitted the G5's to run before meltdown.

:O

Flatpainter
  • Reply 10 of 52
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Probably not a good idea. It would only run as long as the constricted airflow permitted the G5's to run before meltdown.

:O

Flatpainter

I know. I just hope people dont start loading their G5's with stickey notes. Not only does it block the beauty of the tower but would most likely cause serious heat build ups in the case.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Not that i do any modding myself...

But I look at stuff on the web...

Hook cold cathode lights on the fans, and the faster the fans are going, the brighter the light...

Subtle system performance monitoring device...?!?

I still like the idea of a front-panel LCD, which could show system parameters, and run iTunes visualizer...

Come Christmas Apple will put out the PowerMac G5 Special Edition - Das Blinkin' Lights

;^p
  • Reply 12 of 52
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G-News

the first mod we'll see is having people stick cold cathode lights into that case, making it shine bright everywhere.

(doesn't mean that's going to be beautiful, though)

DUDE! I alredy bought the lights, now I am waiting for the G5. I didn't think it was that obvious though.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Photoshop fun.

Very cool. Good mockup as well. I think that breaking up the monotony of the front is a good idea. I have an idea of what I would want to see, but it would need a quicktime movie to show it off. Alas, my 3d skills are about six years out of date and I no longer own a Mac. I wonder what I could get done with MS Paint?
  • Reply 14 of 52
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    a nice blue neon stick lamp would do oh-so-well in that thang.

Holy crap people... I had TOTALLY forgotten about Lite-Brite

RETURN TO THE 80s MY FRIENDS!!!!

http://www.sfpg.com/animation/liteBrite.html

LOL, Apple can then come up with a LITEBRITE G5 CUBE... check it out

• Reply 15 of 52
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    or also go with old themes like GI JOE (good for today's conspiracy and parnoid prone US consumer market... or just nostalgic 80s kid like me )

Or go all-out with something more exotic...

or go with a traditional Mr Potato Head

Or...

• Reply 16 of 52
    Hi Def Lite-Brite!

I guess airflow will be THE defining factor for the front of the PowerMac for years to come. It would be nice for the grill to be different for each of the 4 airflow spaces. That would make it look better, but also be somewhat functional in giving people cues to the internals.

As for asymmetrical design, I think it is better. I really miss the clear plastic and depth of the old graphite, but maybe we'll get to bronze electrocoated aluminum in the future!!

My mods would concentrate on electroplating the aluminum case, maybe a few key lights inside. Anyone know how to put electroplating on aluminium?
  • Reply 17 of 52
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    powdercoat the case black...

make the Apple logos on the side glow when the unit is powered up...
  • Reply 18 of 52
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Well, since the side of the case is completely removable, why not replacement/modified side panel?
  • Reply 19 of 52
    ishmaelishmael Posts: 12member
    Quote:

Originally posted by agent302

Well, since the side of the case is completely removable, why not replacement/modified side panel?

That's what I was thinking. I'll bet it won't be long before someone starts making clear side panels so people can put lights and stuff inside to show off their G5....
  • Reply 20 of 52

WUT WUT HOLLABACK

edit: I designed it for maximum flow.