Countdown to Creative Pro

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Ok, we are now three weeks out from the MacWorld Creative Pro expo an the question is: are there any Mac products in the wings that didn't get announced at WWDC?

There's no Stevenote, but that doesn't mean there may not be an announcement or two.

Some folks are predicting the imminent announcement of new 15" PowerBooks, could this happen at MW Creative?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    I think we're all pretty sure at this point that Apple will be intro'ing the new 15" Powerbook. Even all the analysts are saying it. I doubt that it will have a 970 in it though b/c it will take away from the 17" and the 12".

I'm pretty sure we'll see the intro of the new "rumored" displays too. That would be nice.

As far as anything else that's been rumored I'm not really sure. I'm mostly interested in the 15"er though.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    And what about a G5 Xserve? The server market wants 64 bits way more than the pro or user market. The X serve can't stay with the G4 if it can have even a same clock G5. I know that the G5 is an oven, but it doesn't need to be at such high frequencies as the PM ones to be a benefit to the line.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    i got 10 free passes yesterday so i am going to go i hope they introduce the 15" PB and some new displays
  • Reply 4 of 28
    screen key board mouse. and the connectionbetween them and the tower. Notice all this is missing from images. I remember some time back there was discussion in a forum on an image from a graphics card manufacturer's web site that had an image of an AI powerbook playing a dvd and the same image on a plasma tv with no sign of cable connection. what is in the wings???
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Greg Joswiak Apple's VP of hardware product marketing will be doing the Apple presentation, but it's only an hour.

For sure, he's going to want to cover the G5 for the audience there. That won't leave much time for anything else. Maybe just one OMT ("one more thing") of something new. If so, what's more likely, new displays (this is pitched to the creative crowd, right?) or a new Powerbook?
  • Reply 6 of 28
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Coda
  • Reply 7 of 28
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I'd say that a PowerBook intro, with the new G4 7457, is a possibility in this time frame, but I'm also thinking that a G5 Xserve intro is the more likely (though not mutually exclusive) possibility.

Of all of Apple's products, the Xserve is the one that looks weakest with there being such powerful G5 Power Macs for comparison, making the Xserve the product most worthy of being the focus of Apple's hardware engineering resources right now.

The Creative Pro audience is perfect for a new Xserve too. Sure, a lot of the attendees would love a hot new PowerBook, but when I think Creative Pro, and I think Xserve, I think "hideously powerful render farm"!
  • Reply 8 of 28
    I hope we see matching keyboard and mouse for the new G5.. I would buy then just to go with my 12"er..

flick.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    macjedaimacjedai Posts: 263member
    This idea is from waaaay out in left field, but wouldn't it be funny to have a SJ walk on into the keynote, just to announce new PowerBooks. It would definitely throw everyone a curve.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Perhaps Steve could be at the other end of iSight using one of the new PowerBooks.

"Greg, why don't you tell the nice people about the laptop I'm using...."
  • Reply 11 of 28
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    When is the last time a major piece of Apple hardware was announced by an Apple executive other than Steve? An hour is barely enough for a demonstration of a slightly newer Panther build and a rehash of the G5. Remember, Apple is trying to remove emphasis from the summer expo. At most, I think we get a couple of release dates (Panther, G5).
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Question: Has WWDC been moved to late June permanently?
  • Reply 13 of 28
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by qazII

When is the last time a major piece of Apple hardware was announced by an Apple executive other than Steve? An hour is barely enough for a demonstration of a slightly newer Panther build and a rehash of the G5. Remember, Apple is trying to remove emphasis from the summer expo. At most, I think we get a couple of release dates (Panther, G5).

Yeah..... maybe the new displays and keyboard/mouse will just be a quiet update sometime between now and Sept.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    gakuseigakusei Posts: 35member
    Quote:

I wouldn't exactly call the new PowerBooks a major announcement, but at the same time I agree that they're not going to be shown at MacWorld. Even AI said that it was only going to be a press release (unless I misread the article).

As others have pointed out, I hope they make the update before Fall semester starts. For me personally, that's only 2 months from this Monday.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Locomotive

Question: Has WWDC been moved to late June permanently?

No.

Quote:

Future dates for WWDC:

2003: June 23-27

2004: May 17-21

2005: May 16-20

From http://developer.apple.com/membership/premier.html
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gakusei

I wouldn't exactly call the new PowerBooks a major announcement....

I meant that the Powerbook is a signficant part of Apple's product line. Major announcements are done by steve; minor announcements are done by press release.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    macjedaimacjedai Posts: 263member
    Quote:

Oh, I quite agree. I was just "stirring the pot", so to speak. I do, however, think that it would be a great idea (SJ doing a walk on) to "inflict" upon the masses (especially considering the folks that keep track of Apple's Activities). It would catch practically everyone "off-guard" (particularly, if they had a big announcement, that no-one expected ... bumping all the pro-books to 970's ... that would be huge ... but I'm dreaming, don't wake me up).
  • Reply 18 of 28
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    My prediction: New PowerBooks will be announced at Creative Expo. Shipping in mid-August.

12-inch PowerBook - 1GHz

15-inch PowerBook - move to 15.4-inch screen, Al enclosure, Air Ex, Built-in BT, 1.1, 1.25 GHz

17-inch PowerBook - 1.25 GHz
  • Reply 19 of 28
    No hardware just software update.

Appleworks 7 and maybe a update pro app.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    bihbih Posts: 44member
    Maybe it's never been done before because it would be akward and unfeasible, but I thought it would be great if a laptop screen was mounted like the iMac's flat panel display. It could turn and twist just like the imac, and when you are in an airplane, you can fold it forward and cover up the keyboard to watch a DVD movie. I'm not sure how the arm would fold up to close the lid however.