Help me tell my Pismo its not getting Panther or any other upgrades

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I don't have the heart. I told it not to get its hopes up, that we already were lucky enough to get Jaguar free because I am an educator. But, once it saw the multiple users fast switching, it begged! I don't have the heart to tell it that its 8MB Rage Mobility will wither and die with that feature. It also seems oddly obsessed with the Expose feature. We're ignoring that one....for now.

Lately, its been getting suspicious. Its starting to ask about the newer machines. We think its wondering if we will get rid if it. When it asks, I just tell it "don't worry about, let's go play on AppleInsider for a few hours". This usually makes it happy. It loves it here.

It's starting to add up the signals though. Last year, it noticed I passed up "Return to Castle Wofenstein" because of the 16MB graphics requirement. It tried to play it off, but I think it noticed. When we downloaded the Demo, it didn't run well....and my Pismo started making excuses that it was late and it was tired and it was sure it would do better tommorow.

Last night was a major blow: iChat AV told it that it didn't support video conferencing. It got this scared look on its display, which is another source of its growing jealousy and insecurity... because my wife's iBook screen is brighter and has better color. I just told it that it was beta software and it was probably a mistake. "Don't worry about, Pizzy" I said.

My Pismo was King of the Hill when I got it in March 2000. It shrugged off the PB G4 introduction. It scoffed at its upgrades. It was only mildly concerned with the 17" 1GHZ. I remember it called it "fatso" and "wide ass". Once, it went online and ordered a bumper sticker that said "Real Computers Don't Wear Titanium". It felt great when I had its RAM upgraded to 384MB. It was like a kid in Disney World when it got Jaguar. I think its expecting we'll just naturally drop $130 on Panther and max its RAM to 1 GB. I don't know what I'll do when it asks for a new Hard Drive.

Help me tell it that its graphics card is hard-wired. Help me explain when it sees the G5 come in the door next year. I can't do it.

\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    :'(
  • Reply 2 of 40
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Just tell your Pismo: It is getting an new baby brother. But unlike the mobile freedoms that laptops like Pismo experiences, he will be tethered to a wall for all eternity. There will still be a special place in your life for such a trusty and reliable friend.

Now the real question, how do I break the news to my Beige G3 \
  • Reply 3 of 40
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

*heartfelt saga*

Exactly. My Pismo is the least-zippy yet most-loved machine in my life. I feel your pain. Most of the other guys and gals (yes, for any newbies reading this, Macs do have a sex) in the office generally scoff at the little under-powered wonder....but....who gets brought home at night to snuggle into the sheets with me and my latest bad sci-fi? Who curls up on the couch with my sexy gf to watch 'Donny Darko' for the 107th time? Who goes with us on vacation because I can't be without my AI fix?

Exactly.

(and the 17 inch is a threat, but only when it gets an IBM chip)

[edit:] BTW, I love your story... :: picks Pismo up and hugs it ::
  • Reply 4 of 40
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    Quote:

I don't have the heart. I told it not to get its hopes up, that we already were lucky enough to get Jaguar free because I am an educator. But, once it saw the multiple users fast switching, it begged! I don't have the heart to tell it that its 8MB Rage Mobility will wither and die with that feature. It also seems oddly obsessed with the Expose feature. We're ignoring that one....for now.

Lately, its been getting suspicious. Its starting to ask about the newer machines. We think its wondering if we will get rid if it. When it asks, I just tell it "don't worry about, let's go play on AppleInsider for a few hours". This usually makes it happy. It loves it here.

It's starting to add up the signals though. Last year, it noticed I passed up "Return to Castle Wofenstein" because of the 16MB graphics requirement. It tried to play it off, but I think it noticed. When we downloaded the Demo, it didn't run well....and my Pismo started making excuses that it was late and it was tired and it was sure it would do better tommorow.

Last night was a major blow: iChat AV told it that it didn't support video conferencing. It got this scared look on its display, which is another source of its growing jealousy and insecurity... because my wife's iBook screen is brighter and has better color. I just told it that it was beta software and it was probably a mistake. "Don't worry about, Pizzy" I said.

My Pismo was King of the Hill when I got it in March 2000. It shrugged off the PB G4 introduction. It scoffed at its upgrades. It was only mildly concerned with the 17" 1GHZ. I remember it called it "fatso" and "wide ass". Once, it went online and ordered a bumper sticker that said "Real Computers Don't Wear Titanium". It felt great when I had its RAM upgraded to 384MB. It was like a kid in Disney World when it got Jaguar. I think its expecting we'll just naturally drop $130 on Panther and max its RAM to 1 GB. I don't know what I'll do when it asks for a new Hard Drive.

Help me tell it that its graphics card is hard-wired. Help me explain when it sees the G5 come in the door next year. I can't do it.

\

::runs home and hugs pismo::
  • Reply 5 of 40
    scotioscotio Posts: 40member
    It is quite normal for your li'l Pismo to feel threatened once in a while. Like any good long-term partner, it needs affirmation from time to time of your commitment to the relationship.

I have no doubt that it understands that it is entirely normal for you to look at other svelte titanium models from time to time, and as long as you always come home to check your e-mail, then all should be well.

I do have one question for you; where on earth did you find that sticker? I happen to be happily entangled with a sexy little 12" aluminum number, even she from time to time feels that she is not quite as well endowed as those fancy titanium hussies. Perhaps this sticker could be a way for me to put her fears to rest.

After all, my little love lets me do things to her, that I suspect, titanium would scarcely be supple enough to permit. ;-)

R.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Hey man, that was a great post! Nice work. I really feel a connection with your poor Pismo. I can feel her pain. Give her what she wants, it's only right to make her feel comfortable as she gets toward the end.

Poor girl.

• Reply 7 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by scotio

It is quite normal for your li'l Pismo to feel threatened once in a while. Like any good long-term partner, it needs affirmation from time to time of your commitment to the relationship.

I have no doubt that it understands that it is entirely normal for you to look at other svelte titanium models from time to time, and as long as you always come home to check your e-mail, then all should be well.

I do have one question for you; where on earth did you find that sticker? I happen to be happily entangled with a sexy little 12" aluminum number, even she from time to time feels that she is not quite as well endowed as those fancy titanium hussies. Perhaps this sticker could be a way for me to put her fears to rest.

After all, my little love lets me do things to her, that I suspect, titanium would scarcely be supple enough to permit. ;-)

R.

I'm torn between whether to tell you to talk to torifile or to ask you if you are torifile.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Quote:

\

Why not send your Pismo to live with me, we have a nice farm with lots of acreage to roam, she can sit in the home office with my beloved iMac, I'll even get iMac to give Pismo the top bunk. Soon I will be taking in a stray 1.25 DP MD from a friend who is upgrading, so it will be like the Brady Bunch, and later I will also accept a friend's ancient Alienware desktop that is still suitable for low power gaming.

Here at McLargehuge acres we want your crippled, old, and convalescent Macs to have a meaningful and productive end of life cycle. I'd make sure Pismo had plenty of useful tasks including but not limited to carrying around the novels I write, storing happy pictures of my family, and writing poems and short stories. Paired with MDD and iMac G3 350, Pismo would be the Bobby to my existing Peter and Greg.

We'd be like The Brady Bunch, only digital.

• Reply 9 of 40
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    My Pismo is still running only 9.2.2 with 192MB of RAM, so it looks at the other kids and says, "Why can't I run OS X like they do?" I just tell it, "Your time is coming. We'll upgrade your RAM, give you OS X, insert and Airport card, and buy a new battery for you."

But soon I think we're going to look at getting him a new baby brother G5. By then, he'll be all upgraded and ready to network wirelessly. Oh, sure, I'm expecting the "why can't I burn DVD's and have USB 2.0 like my new brother?"

"Simple," I'll say. "Just remember that even though he can do all that, only YOU can be taken to the living room to surf the net....and you know how we like surfing the net together. That won't change! And don't forget: only YOU can go with me on vacation. You'll always be my special baby."

*tear* That's my special boy! I promised myself I wouldn't cry.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Beloved Blackbird (Pismo with all the VST extras) and two Cubes. Now what do I do? A 22" Cinema display that begs for some way to link to a new homebase?
  • Reply 11 of 40
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    G, I'm really sorry its hard to let them go, trust me, I had to put my bondi imac down awhile back, he gave me some of the best years of my life, but time to move on... sniff sniff, I gave him to an old lady, and she made him into a lovely flowerpot.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    murbot:

Quote:

Hey man, that was a great post! Nice work. I really feel a connection with your poor Pismo. I can feel her pain. Give her what she wants, it's only right to make her feel comfortable as she gets toward the end.

Poor girl

My Pismo is a boy.

My Pismo also had its battery replaced under Applecare just last month. It liked the attention. We also did a total clean install of everything, which helped my Pismo lose weight and feel great.

Then it saw Monday's keynote, first in text format from via Macminute and iChat, then in streamed QT. I'm telling you, when it saw that multiple users deal, it was like "Wow! That will be so cool". It even turned to my wife and showed her. She was only mildly amused.

Pizzy has been looking at more RAM. "It's really cheap now!", it says. I can't tell it that it really won't help much. It's getting kind of bratty...begging for everything from a G4 upgrade, to RAM, to a CD/RW.

Not happening. Tough Love.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    Don't abandon your beloved Pismo! Mine, with 1 GB RAM and a 500 mhz G4, will be with me for at least a year. (shh, don't tell him, but the moment a G5 PB comes out he's gone) This laptop has been my best, ever. It even has survived multiple 3 foot drops (I didn't learn the first time . . . but, then again, the Pismo suffered only cosmetic damage). It is not up to being my primary computer (which is a DP 1 Ghz G4), but it's great for typical laptop use.

I really recommend the full RAM and the 500 mhz G4 (or maybe the 900 mhz G3) upgrades. Jaguar is now about as responsive as OS 9 was on this machine (when it was a 400 mhz G3).

Long live the Pismo!
  • Reply 14 of 40
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    Just think how my IIci is feeling. I got him a CD-Rom drive and that kept him happy. But he won't even look at the iMac. I try to get them to get along but it's not happening yet, any ideas?
  • Reply 15 of 40
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Now the real question, how do I break the news to my Beige G3 \

AKA, how do I BREAK my Beige G3...
  • Reply 16 of 40
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neandertal

Long live the Pismo!

I actually thought the same thing, untill I broke mine and ended up with a big ibook. I have come to respect the toyish looking barbie-book, and would never go back. It's even come to the point where I think the ibook looks better than the pismo. (yes, yes, the gall!)
  • Reply 17 of 40
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

I actually thought the same thing, untill I broke mine and ended up with a big ibook. I have come to respect the toyish looking barbie-book, and would never go back. It's even come to the point where I think the ibook looks better than the pismo. (yes, yes, the gall!)

I don't like the iBook keyboard. The keys feel too plasticky or something. It doesn't feel right.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    tetzel1517tetzel1517 Posts: 204member
    Would you EVER see people talking about their computers like this on a PC message board? I don't think so. And that's what makes being a Mac user so great .

My 600 mHz G3 iMac is having a midlife crisis. He got worried when he saw that he just barely made the cutoff point for running video in iChatAV. But he felt a little better when her friend, a 400 mHz iMac, was able to run Expose on the dev. build of Panther.

Thank God there's no need for fast user switching in this household, or he'd go off the deep end. Hopefully he doesn't find out that I've decided to start stashing some money away for a new one, though. Being two whole Gs behind is just too much for me to handle.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by tetzel1517

...But he felt a little better when her friend...

A cross-dressing iMac?? Damn. I gotta get me one of those.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    tetzel1517tetzel1517 Posts: 204member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

A cross-dressing iMac?? Damn. I gotta get me one of those.

Yeah, who needs dual processors when you can have dual genders!!!

In all seriousness, I was trying to decide what gender I usually give to my computer, and kept going back and forth. When I finally settled on "male" I guess I forgot to change everything.

*sigh* Oh what a dorm am I.