No Remote logins !!!

xxxxxx
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
One of the rumors was that panther will bring us multiple remote graphics logins to one machine, so you multiple user can execute applications in a remote server. No mention anywhere to this feature.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Well we are still a looooong way from being feature complete and from shipping. Give it time if the rumor was true.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by foad

Well we are still a looooong way from being feature complete and from shipping. Give it time if the rumor was true.

If you want to get technical, this isn't exactly true... Panther was 'feature frozen' some time ago...

How much of those features are turned on and visible (in the WWDC build) is another story but the from the development side of things all the features that are destined for Panther are pretty much set in stone. A mass of Apple developers living on caffein highs (and little sleep) are now in the process of making all of the features work (and behave well will all the other features).

If you crawl into bed anytime before midnight take a moment to think about them still awake and hacking away on the Panther build somewhere in a little cube sized space in Cupertino.

D
  • Reply 3 of 23
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

If you want to get technical, this isn't exactly true... Panther was 'feature frozen' some time ago...

How much of those features are turned on and visible (in the WWDC build) is another story but the from the development side of things all the features that are destined for Panther are pretty much set in stone. A mass of Apple developers living on caffein highs (and little sleep) are now in the process of making all of the features work (and behave well will all the other features).

If you crawl into bed anytime before midnight take a moment to think about them still awake and hacking away on the Panther build somewhere in a little cube sized space in Cupertino.

D

Sorry...I haven't slept yet so I worded my response improperly. By feature complete, I meant, the features being usable, let alone buggy. There are tons of features that I am sure aren't totally or at all implemented. I mean, there is even a preference pane in the System Prefs taht says in big black type that this specific feature isn't implemented yet.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    prob in the server version only.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    xxxxxx Posts: 6member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

prob in the server version only.

Sorry, but no mention in the Apple's Panther Server Sneak Preview.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    connyconny Posts: 18member
    In the sharing preference pane where you can open ports in th firewall there is an item called "Remote Desktop". So it sounds like something is going on with remote logins...
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by conny

In the sharing preference pane where you can open ports in th firewall there is an item called "Remote Desktop". So it sounds like something is going on with remote logins...

Remote Desktop was there before Panther Preview. Remote Desktop only allow you to take control of one computer. The idea is that more tha one user can login in a computer.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Nope.

In Jaguar, it is 'Remote Logins' and is only for port 22, or SSH login through the command line. Period.

'Remote *Desktop*' sounds like GUI login to me...
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Remote login is SSH, as Kickaha said.

Remote Desktop, however, is this:

Apple Remote Desktop 1.2
  • Reply 10 of 23
    So ARD is a remote GUI event sender/desktop image receiver. Not remote GUI login.

Too many terms.

Remote Login (Jaguar): SSH, textual shell login

Remote Desktop: See above

Remote ???: What we all want: GUI login over a network.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Remote ???: What we all want: GUI login over a network. [/B]

YE !! That is what we need ASAP.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by xxx

YE !! That is what we need ASAP.

Remote GUI login? Use ssh and X Window!

> ssh -X james@myMac

> soffice &

> gnome-terminal &
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bygimis Turug VIII

Remote GUI login? Use ssh and X Window!

> ssh -X james@myMac

> soffice &

> gnome-terminal &

But not Aqua applications, only X11.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by xxx

But not Aqua applications, only X11.

I wonder if you could run VNC viewer in X11 and connect to localhost to see your Aqua windows? :-)
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

I wonder if you could run VNC viewer in X11 and connect to localhost to see your Aqua windows? :-)

Try OSXvnc to serve a remote connection and Chicken of the VNC as the client (or any other VNC client).

OSXvnc: http://www.redstonesoftware.com/osxvnc

Chicken of the VNC: http://cotvnc.sourceforge.net

No X11 or terminal necessary! But the set-up isn't nearly as quick as MS's Remote Control Desktop.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neandertal

Try OSXvnc to serve a remote connection and Chicken of the VNC as the client (or any other VNC client).

OSXvnc: http://www.redstonesoftware.com/osxvnc

Chicken of the VNC: http://cotvnc.sourceforge.net

No X11 or terminal necessary! But the set-up isn't nearly as quick as MS's Remote Control Desktop.

It was more of a joke - you could get a remote log on (ssh) AND aqua using localhos feedback VNC!

However its only going to be slower than just VNC - but maybe more fun!
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

It was more of a joke - you could get a remote log on (ssh) AND aqua using localhos feedback VNC!

However its only going to be slower than just VNC - but maybe more fun!

Me slow . . .
  • Reply 18 of 23
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    My theory: Remote GUI logins -> thin clients -> Linux thin clients -> fewer Macs sold.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Linux has Quartz?!?

Seriously, bypass the X11 cruft, and base it on Quartz, as NeXT based theirs on PostScript, and voila. You still own the keys.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    The Quartz Compositor protocol can't be that complex; it's just bitmaps.