Home Entertainment: DVD-R or DVR/Tivo? Both?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'll need a new player soon as my 18 month old non-progressive scan Toshiba is nearing its end (the audio became muted and the display went dark, only to come back in the middle of a movie). I'd like a progessive scan model (probably Sony because I have a 36" flatscreen HDTV compatible monitor)). Thing is, the first player was a gift... as I'd sworn to never buy a DVD player that didn't record as well.

Recorders with progressive scan are now under $400. Players with all the features I want are less than $200. I'm beginning to think...."hmmm, perhaps....". But, would it be better to just buy a player and then add a Tivo or other DVR device later?

Also: Within the next year, I'll probably get a superdrive equipped Mac. Lots o' variables here.

Thoughts?

EDIT: What concerns me is the variety of formats. A lot of the new recorders are running DVD+RW or DVD+R. Apple is not, and I'm wondering if that could be a problem when I get another Mac and want to burn movies, etc. On the other hand, I don't see a bunch of DVD/RW recorders out there.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Most of the new DVDPs playback the DVDR(W) just fine. I'd grab

a DVD and then look for a Tivo/ReplayTV soon. You'll love it!

My first DVD Burner will have to be computer based because currently Home DVD Burners are basically light on editing features. A Superdrive and iDVD will blow them away.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Most of the new DVDPs playback the DVDR(W) just fine. I'd grab

a DVD and then look for a Tivo/ReplayTV soon. You'll love it!

My first DVD Burner will have to be computer based because currently Home DVD Burners are basically light on editing features. A Superdrive and iDVD will blow them away.

True.