Power Mac G4's Future

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Since there doesn't seem to be a specific thread to discuss this issue, I pose these thoughts and questions:

The inference I gleaned from a Greg Joswiak interview on CNET was that the low-end G4 pro tower was staying put for awhile. Does this mean Apple will update it with faster G4 processors as they come out? Let's say, in 5 or 6 months, will Apple bump the pro G4 tower along with G5s to keep a pro tower at the $1,299 level?

I think keeping a $1,299 entry pro tower is an important price point for Apple. I know that it is currently a G4 -- and it will remain a G4 for quite some -- but what is everyone's feeling on the prospect of Apple keeping and updating a G4 tower at the bottom pro tier for the next 12 to 18 months?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    I think the G4 towers should start at $999. They are far cheaper to build than the G4 iMac. A 1Ghz Powermac G4 with its expansion capabilities would fill the "headless iMac" void that people have been harping on so much around here.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    ompusompus Posts: 163member
    According to the http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/31424.html

Motorola has sped up production of the 7457 and it will be shipping this quarter.

A 1.3 ghz g4 is pin compatible with the 7455, draws about 16 watts, and is about half the price. We'll be seing this chip...even if it's from our least favorite company.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    naghanagha Posts: 71member
    $1299 is the old entry point for the first iMac. indeed, it is an important price point. apple needs a headless unit at $999 (single processor g4) and at $1299 (dual processor g4).

to achieve this price point, they can decrease the PCI slots, the 3 drive busses, strip out the extraneous plastic and design a box:

AGP

one PCI slot

one 3.5" drive

one optical drive

and reintroduce the Cube.

na
  • Reply 4 of 7
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    A 1.25 G4 Tower for 999 inc VAT.

The sub 1 K Tower is now a reality!

AT LAST!

Remarkable. We have a two tiered Tower line until the 970 stretches its legs to cover both the consumer end and the Workstation end.

And what's more...the dual 1.25 Gigger is only a few hundred more.

Not bad at all.

I wonder if this will continue as the 970 moves to 0.09 and we'll get the 1.6-1.8 singles at the new G4 prices...and 2 gig single to 2.5 duals at the current 'workstation' level.

Anybody else see this as a permanent tower strategy as 970 frequency covers more ground as it ramps up?

Things looking up for the Tower range?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 5 of 7
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    I'd like to see the Cube reintroduced. A shorter cheese grater?

I lik-a dat.

Smaller/shorter form factor and cheaper to make. That aluminium enclosure must cost a fortune to make...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 6 of 7
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    No, the Aluminum is reserved for the Pro hardware. A low priced tower with one foot in the consumer arena (price) and one foot in the Pro arena (expansion). I'm not even that sure Apple would put a minute or a dollar of R&D to reengineer the case. A plastic, graphite G4 tower. That's what it was; that's what it is. It's price just got pounded down to reality by the G5. Shamed into the lowly middle man.

Screed
  • Reply 7 of 7
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Oh great, a 2.0GHz G4 chip throttling a 200MHz FSB and trying to make up for it with very expensive L3 DDRsram

The new and improved MPC7457 is touting that it can now handle up to 4MB DDRsram per processor. Whopee I'm in heaven.

Why can't Motorola just bite the friggin bullet and include a modern FSB architecture, opps forgot don't want to piss off all the embedded guys that are totally enamored with the MPX bus(actually they're not and are waiting for something better). And seeing as how those embedded guys represent all of 50% of G4 sales COMBINED, wouldn't want to rock their boat.

me takes deep breath, calms down, rant over.

Good luck Motorola, you'll need it and Apple's bailing your butt out still buying these embedded chips

me takes deep breath, calms down, second rant over.