Jonathan Ive Talks About Designing the G5

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
From a Wired article.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    Quote:

Ive picked up a clear plastic cover that sits inside the side door. It is oddly shaped to help air circulate inside the G5.

A purely functional component like this would have been paid little heed by the rest of the computer industry, Ive said. But it was made transparent so people could run their machines with the door off.

"People have disconnected (function) from cosmetics," he said, with a shake of his head.

cool.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Thanks for the link.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    I love when he says "It's very, very obvious that it is what it is."

Yeah baby...yeah!
  • Reply 4 of 22
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    Ives in another article....

"I was taking a stroll threw the geothermal facilities near the Cliffs of Dover when I happened upon a massive complex of industrial heat exchangers. They were built simply for moving large volumes of air into and through heat dissipating radiators and then venting this almost sun-like heat out into the environment. I tell you it was impressive. At one corner of the facility, the heat exhaust actually melted the road pavement.

That's when it hit me. Strap two G5's inside an open faced chassis and turn it into nothing short of a Bernoulli tube. In some of our early prototypes, we could get about 10-15 knots coming out the back, and could even dry out a few articles of laundry, but after the an incident involving flames and window curtains, we had to scale back our plans a bit.

There were several modifications. Some stayed some did not. Great questions were asked and answered.

' Do Mac users want to go to NAPA and buy filters for their computers?' ' no.'.......

MSKR
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:

But it was made transparent so people could run their machines with the door off.

YeeeHaaaa!!
  • Reply 6 of 22
    isegwayisegway Posts: 133member
    Quote:

Do you have a link to this article?
  • Reply 7 of 22
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    "But it was made transparent so people could run their machines with the door off."

That is such a cool apple thing.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    A lot of people say they hate the design of this G5. I personally think it's a great design! Fantastic, simple, different. True...the G4 case was nice, but in it's present form probably couldn't handle what Apple wanted to do. This design makes it so you don't have to have big rocket vents on the front an big swiss cheese holes in the back.

Kudos to Mr. Ives. And to those who poo poo it, you sit down and design a better funcitional design.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Future Hardware?

Moving to General Discussion.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    flipflip Posts: 17member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Masker

Great questions were asked and answered.

' Do Mac users want to go to NAPA and buy filters for their computers?' ' no.'.......

MSKR

Linky? So how does it handle dust buildup?
  • Reply 11 of 22
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    Well minimalist is certainly the keyword here. Who knew that the same team responsible for the original iMac would now be producing minimalist, utilitarian desktops. I just hope Ive doesn't take the utilitarian design ethic too far, because we could end up with beige ATX cases!
  • Reply 12 of 22
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah, i was wondering if it would still work with the door off. it looks pretty bad ass. might have to pick one up after all.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Great link! I could not agree more that this new "Kick Ass" G5 is a great design in many ways.

I see the case like I see quality bike frames or accessories. It is designed for intelligent application. It is designed with a high degree of thought involved. It is a tool.

Apple has done a great job with this!

Fellowship
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Big Mac

Well minimalist is certainly the keyword here. Who knew that the same team responsible for the original iMac would now be producing minimalist, utilitarian desktops. I just hope Ive doesn't take the utilitarian design ethic too far, because we could end up with beige ATX cases!

Let's give apple some credit. Like Ives said, It's built from the inside out. For once, the guts of the machine is so revolutionary, that the case needed to be simply functional... and elegant in my mind. Apple does a great job of staying with, and ahead of the curve. I remember when Apple had beige boxes. they were still nicer looking than PCs. Like fashion, everything comes around again. Remember bell-bottoms?
  • Reply 15 of 22
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Nice article. I hope Apple puts up some QT movies of Ives doing exactly that when the machines finally ship.

I like minimalism as a concept usually, but I have to say this was too minimal for me at first. I still think the first graphite G4 was the most beautiful, functional case I have ever seen, but the G5 is a different beast. This is about workstation in name, pedigree (IBM) and even OS with metallic Panther. This will show that it is a serious machine under or on top of the desk.

I like it now.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by boba fett

For once, the guts of the machine is so revolutionary, that the case needed to be simply functional... and elegant in my mind.

Ives was certainly thinking of the complexity inside when he decided to keep the outside so simple. He likes to play those types of oppositions against one another: complexity vs. simplicity, flat vs. round, surface vs. edge, opaque vs. translucent, etc.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i'm thinking about getting one...definatly if i do i will be running it without the case
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

i'm thinking about getting one...definatly if i do i will be running it without the case

I hope it glows like the "Flux" capacitor!

I wonder if Ives slipped and hit his head on the tub too?
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by boba fett

I hope it glows like the "Flux" capacitor!

GREAT SCOTT!
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

GREAT SCOTT!

My GOD, it looks like 1.21 Gigawatts!