Post your G5 mod images. (Imaginary at the moment)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Dude, what about your NDA?!

• Reply 22 of 52
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Electroplating: some stuff dragged from Google. Seems to be quite expensive for a home electroplating kit (around $800+).

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...troplating+kit
  • Reply 23 of 52
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k_killmore

WUT WUT HOLLABACK

edit: I designed it for maximum flow.

Holy Crap. You do know it's gonna be a bitch cleaning all those splatted bugs out of the little holes, right?
  • Reply 24 of 52
    zouniczounic Posts: 53member
    I can't believe there is not an Apple Logo on the front panel (the grid). This is beyong me...

Maybe it's just a proto ;-)
  • Reply 25 of 52
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zounic

I can't believe there is not an Apple Logo on the front panel (the grid). This is beyong me...

Maybe it's just a proto ;-)

The Quicksilvers didn't either.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Home electroplating. Hahaha, now my rastafarian and chicano brothers can do up their G5's to match their early 90's Maximas and 60's Ford Galaxies (respectively). Quick, somebody get a metal flake decal of a hoochie girl holding an Apple.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ishmael

That's what I was thinking. I'll bet it won't be long before someone starts making clear side panels so people can put lights and stuff inside to show off their G5....

Won't be long, eh? Apple built this into the design of the Power Mac already. There's a clear plastic piece on the inside of the removable panel that facilitates airflow in normal circumstances, but Ive himself said another feature in mind for it was the ability to run the computer without the solid door in place. See this thread.
  • Reply 28 of 52
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Jonathon Ive said in a Wired interview that the clear plastic airflow guide is there so that people can run the machine with the door off! I think its extremely tasteless to put neons inside a computer case... I am therefore going to do it. In all seriousness I think this is the first PM case that will really get modded.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Hot DAMN Fred! Beat me...
  • Reply 30 of 52
    macjedaimacjedai Posts: 263member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

powdercoat the case black...

make the Apple logos on the side glow when the unit is powered up...

Oooh, I like that one!
  • Reply 31 of 52
    macjedaimacjedai Posts: 263member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k_killmore

WUT WUT HOLLABACK

edit: I designed it for maximum flow.

The more stickers ... the faster it goes!
  • Reply 32 of 52
    i think it'll be just a matter of time before someone polishes out the case and makes it mirror-like. people do this to motorcycle bits all the time and it's fairly easy. all you need is some polish and a bench grinder with some buffing wheels. or you can get a kit from caswell plating and anodize it neat colors.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
  • Reply 34 of 52
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

Nice! Great idea too.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    photoguyphotoguy Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

Hi Def Lite-Brite!

I guess airflow will be THE defining factor for the front of the PowerMac for years to come. It would be nice for the grill to be different for each of the 4 airflow spaces. That would make it look better, but also be somewhat functional in giving people cues to the internals.

As for asymmetrical design, I think it is better. I really miss the clear plastic and depth of the old graphite, but maybe we'll get to bronze electrocoated aluminum in the future!!

My mods would concentrate on electroplating the aluminum case, maybe a few key lights inside. Anyone know how to put electroplating on aluminium?

I don' know how to do it I just know it can be done. I had my aluminium mountain bike done.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    You can anondize the aluminum.

Most large ccities have at least one company that can do it.

Essentially they run current throught the metal and dip it in a charged dye bath. The dye bonds with the aluminum.

So dipping would be rather easy. I anondized some 10 foot long aluminum poles for an exhibit design once.

It's fairly cheap to do also.

MSKR
  • Reply 37 of 52
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Masker

You can anondize the aluminum.

Most large ccities have at least one company that can do it.

Essentially they run current throught the metal and dip it in a charged dye bath. The dye bonds with the aluminum.

So dipping would be rather easy. I anondized some 10 foot long aluminum poles for an exhibit design once.

It's fairly cheap to do also.

MSKR

I don't like the idea of dipping my $3000 G5 in a bath ofchemicals...I doubt that's good for the electronics. I can't imagine how you could remove ALL electronics from the case without an ungodly hassle.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    tabootaboo Posts: 128member
    Okay....just to be nice to everyone......

anodizing supplies

Aluminum can be anodized with very low voltages....a car battery or car battery charger is enough........

home anodizing

And...the chemicals/dyes can be brushed on in spots and electricity applied to color only the sections you want. So actual pictures/patterns are possible.

I'd still take the electronics out first, tho'........ :P
  • Reply 39 of 52
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
  • Reply 40 of 52
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Here is a fun little image I wipped together. It's hard to use the trackpad on a laptop to edit in photoshop.

AKA: Chia Pet's worst nightmare!