iChat AV Netmeeting

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
iChat AV seems to work great, but when will we have some of the features of Netmeeting like a white board and shared screens. BTW will iChat connect to multiple users? This is useful for business video conferences with multiple locations or remote teaching.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    discodisco Posts: 83member
    I wholeheartedly agree that this would be a great feature for iChat. Perhaps Apple could release an iChat "Pro" edition that included multiple video streams, and a whiteboard based on Inkwell/Preview/TextEdit technologies.

I work at a design firm of 60 or so people and all day tuesday we played with iChat AV throughout the studio. Both video and audio streams are amazing in quality. Undeniably it's an extremly powerful, yet simple app. However, we couldn't see bringing it into a business environment unless it allowed for multiple users and a witeboard/document sharing capability.

Here's hoping Apple has thought of this already and will pleasantly surprise us come the final Panther release.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I'm sure Keynote interaction is coming very soon now.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    discodisco Posts: 83member
    Wow, I didn't even think about Keynote features being part of the app as well. That's a great idea. It seem to me that Apple has all of the pieces to make this work. I just hope that they go forward with something like this.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    I hope we will soon see iLife-like integration between AdressBook, iCal, Mail and iChat AV as well as the workgroup enhancements in all of them along with an open standards based sever software to challenge MS Exchange.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    If Apple wants more credibility in the open source / open standards communities they need to push for OS interoperability for video conferencing like this for example.

iCal integration. What a great concept. Set up and appointment and have iChat auto-connect to the involved parties.

Screed
  • Reply 6 of 8
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

If Apple wants more credibility in the open source / open standards communities they need to push for OS interoperability for video conferencing like this for example.

H323 is old news. that "standard" has been around forever, and it sucks.

Apple is using the NEW open standard, SIP (i think that's the right name).
  • Reply 7 of 8
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    I have no idea where to put this, there's a thousand iChat threads and none of them apply. Anyways I saw this over at Ars...

Quote:

And for those who don't know yet, apparently you can now do SMS messages free through iChat (at least the AV version). Go under File-New Chat with Person, enter "+1" then the area code and phone number for their "address", type in your message, and away it goes. Handy.

Ken

• Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by serrano

I have no idea where to put this, there's a thousand iChat threads and none of them apply. Anyways I saw this over at Ars...

Serrano,

I think that's very cool. I'm talking to my girlfriend now through iChat and she's responding via SMS messages on her cell phone. (...or something like that) There can never be enough ways to communicate!

Thanks,

Shawn