LaCie harddisk purchase question

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I need some help here. I've narrowed down my future harddisk to one of these:

LaCie

External Firewire 160GB (7200RPM, 35 MB/s, 8.5ms, 2MB) D2 design (280 euro)

---

LaCie

External Firewire 320GB (7200RPM, 35 MB/s, 8.5ms, 2MB) in D2 design (510 euro)

---

And I had some questions for owners or educated guessers:

1) which do YOU consider best bang for buck?

2) are they noisy (pretty important)? is one likely to be noisier than the other?

3) does one of these have any disadvantages over the other that I should know of (who knows, slower, likelier to crash on me)?

I intend to store my large collection of mp3's on it (100 GB+), have a complete backup of the 20 GB disk in my iBook on it, and then a partition to play around with, maybe install that version of Panther some Russian might have handed to me, or install Linux and give that a spin, and use it as a fast scratch disk for audio purposes, and use it to backup and convert some of my DVDs, and... (seems like I'll be needing that 320, no? ). Of course, price is a small issue, so that might tilt the balance in favor of mr. 160. Therefore, your opinions to help me make this choice.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    The 320 GB is one of the so called "Big Disks". I contains of two 160 GB drives in one housing, working as one huge disk. I just bought the 500 GB big disk and it's really good. makes almost no noise (most modern drives are very silent) and is fast enough for what I do (audio recording and editing).

The choise must be yours, but it seems like you will run out of space very soon if you choose the 160 GB
  • Reply 2 of 3
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    That's all very correct (I guess I'm just looking for an excuse to go for the bigger one). How about the size though? Is it still manageable, or is it rather clunky and heavy?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

That's all very correct (I guess I'm just looking for an excuse to go for the bigger one). How about the size though? Is it still manageable, or is it rather clunky and heavy?

Well, the size is the same as the standard laCie d2 cabinet but the weight is a little higher than a normal drive - imo that is not a big problem though, it's not like it weighs a ton. of course if you need it a lot "on the road" maybe you should consider a more portable drive?

still, I use it with my PowerBook and have no complaints but I don't bring it with me everywhere.