powerbooks??

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
hey

Im a linux/winblows user who is looking forward to buying a powerbook. I borrowed a friends ibook and fell in love with osx. But, I wont pay apple prices for outdated g4. When are the g5 powerbooks coming? Seriosly they better be out before school starts or else il be really disapointed and be forced to buy an ugly, non aluminum, non osx, non lickable pc laptop.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by recondite

hey

Im a linux/winblows user who is looking forward to buying a powerbook. I borrowed a friends ibook and fell in love with osx. But, I wont pay apple prices for outdated g4. When are the g5 powerbooks coming? Seriosly they better be out before school starts or else il be really disapointed and be forced to buy an ugly, non aluminum, non osx, non lickable pc laptop.

It's not like there aren't plenty of threads on the PowerBook topic already... but anyway, be prepared to keep your saliva to yourself until at least next year sometime.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Originally posted by recondite

hey

Nobody knows exactly when the G5 PBs are going to appear. Most people think at least a year from now.

According to a new post today on www.macrumors.com it seesm likely that there will be another round of G4 powerbooks with faster processors.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Just buy one.

Even though the G5s are coming to a desk top near you. I have a 12" 867pb with 640 megs of ram. and I do all my web and Print work on it, just get a CRT or something and you'll love it. the computer is fast enough to play any game, and fast enough to enjoy a day running photoshop, the macromedia suit itunes and other little apps.

lots aluminum and you'll be happy. very happy.

flick.

<after thought> I can't wait for the G5 Laptops </after thought>
  • Reply 4 of 10
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flick Justice

Just buy one.

That's what I'd say to anyone with no laptop at all, or with a really old one they wanted to replace. In its current incarnation, the 12" is a very nice machine.

The only reason I'm holding out myself is that I have a perfectly good 800 MHz 15" TiBook. I want the 12" to outclass it just a little bit more before I move on. I'm eager for the extra portability at that size, so I hope 7457-based 12-inchers with DVI comes along soon!
  • Reply 5 of 10
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

I hope 7457-based 12-inchers with DVI comes along soon!

Amen! That's what I'm waiting for to ditch my iBook/500.

recondite: You're not going to get a PowerBook G5 anytime soon. But I'm certain you'll be able to get a nicely updated 12-inch or 15-inch PowerBook G4 by the time school starts. As others have said, just buy one! You won't regret it.

Escher
  • Reply 6 of 10
    mystmyst Posts: 112member
    If you have your heart set on buying a machine that will not fail you, have no worries, the G4s are still very good machines. Then again, if you get a fairly good G4 PB it will have good trade in value for when the G5 powerbooks come out.

Buy high, sell medium, then buy high again.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Myst

Buy high, sell medium, then buy high again.

• Reply 8 of 10
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    the 12" seriously needs DVI out and the 15" seriouse needs the Al casing and features. PB G5 wont be until next spring at least. G5's dont ship until sept2nd so earliers Apple could announce PB G5 is MWSF 2004 (jan) and ship in March/April. earliest.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    I want an updated 17"
  • Reply 10 of 10
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Going to General Discussion. Purchasing advice.