Safari 1.0 Now Available for Download

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    actually.... i just noticed they didn't fix the rendering bug for multiple animated GIFS on a page.

Despite if you don't like animated gifs ......... it should be corrected.

ie. all the smilie icons on the AI message board don't animate.
  • Reply 42 of 64
    The one-instance animation is a side effect of how images are loaded in the KHTML engine. I remember reading a write-up about this recently, but the details in memory are sketchy. In short, Apple knows about this, but would have to rewrite a large part of the image-handling code in order to allow for multiple instances of animated GIFs on one screen.
  • Reply 43 of 64
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    if you could find that detailed write-up about the khtml/gif-rendering bug, that would be great
  • Reply 44 of 64
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Safari still has the bug introduced in the last build where if you are scolling down the page gets messed up. There are lines through things, pictures and text. edit: to fix this you can sroll up and down again or move something over the area. Anything that refreshes the screen corrects the rendering glitch. I'll post a screenshot later if you don't know what I'm talking about. Things like this are making write to Apple to put the Bug button back. Feedback is helping Apple and the Bug button was the best feedback interface I've seen yet.
  • Reply 45 of 64
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Things like this are making write to Apple to put the Bug button back. Feedback is helping Apple and the Bug button was the best feedback interface I've seen yet.

View -> Bug
  • Reply 46 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Immanuel, http://arabic.cnn.com/ seems to render fine...

Rendering of web-pages is fine, and has been for the previous versions as well. It's when I fill forms with some characters, that it renders it as question marks on the web page, as can be seen above.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Anyone here try to PRINT a web page yet?

That seems to be totally broken... A great example: http://www.macsurfer.com/

Try and print that page... What a mess...

I noticed it right away since I usually print it out when I go out for a smoke break at work but the fact is any web browser that can't print a page like it's displayed on the screen is pretty sad...

What the heck happened from .74 to .85? In .74 printing was just fine.

Dave
  • Reply 48 of 64
    Nobody else has this printing problem? Heck it even shows up on this very page...

Try this right now...

File-->Print

You can even press the preview button (if you don't wanna print) and see just how messed up printing is in Safari...

Dave
  • Reply 49 of 64
    reynardreynard Posts: 160member
    Quote:

Nobody else has this printing problem? Heck it even shows up on this very page...

Try this right now...

File-->Print

Dave, I did print this page. True, it did not print the same way (format?) as it appears here. Even on landscape setup the lines were shortened. Perhaps playing with preferences could help...smaller font might have reproduced the page more faithfully.

However, it did produce a good copy, with nothing being cut off on the ends. So it doesnt necessarily present a problem to me.

BTW, thank you for putting printing instructions (file -->Print). Dont know what I would have done without them.

(I realize you wrote that just to add urgency to your post)
  • Reply 50 of 64
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    CNN has stopped working for me. Anyone else?

http://www.cnn.com
  • Reply 51 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Still works okay for me... maybe clear the cache?

Dave
  • Reply 52 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by reynard

Dave, I did print this page. True, it did not print the same way (format?) as it appears here. Even on landscape setup the lines were shortened. Perhaps playing with preferences could help...smaller font might have reproduced the page more faithfully.

However, it did produce a good copy, with nothing being cut off on the ends. So it doesnt necessarily present a problem to me.

BTW, thank you for putting printing instructions (file -->Print). Dont know what I would have done without them.

(I realize you wrote that just to add urgency to your post)

Sorry about that... force of habbit when you do Mac support for a living...

What exactly did you get when you tried to print? I'm getting the top (graphics - printing okay) then the text that falls below that 'squished' to the right and only taking up 1/2 the page...

Kinda looks like this...

XXXXXXXXXXXX <- this being the graphic header

XXXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX <-- this being the 5 ad boxes (notice how BIG)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXX <-- this being the messages on the page

XXXXXX

XXXXXX

XXXXXX

..etc..

Not at all how the page looks in my browser (the ad boxes should be much smaller instead of being even larger than the top graphic bar.

How did you change things so it would look as it does on the screen?

Dave
  • Reply 53 of 64
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Works fine for me
  • Reply 54 of 64
    reynardreynard Posts: 160member
    Dave,

I think I might have mislead you in my post above. I did not get a faithful reproduction of what was on the screen. It was closer when landscape was selected on page setup.

But I am getting just what you described with your Xs:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Clever of you do demonstrate in that way.

Im a computer novice so I dont have an explanation. What is seems like is that, when printing, the posts are in a text box(?) that has a half inch margin from the right side of page. So no matter what you do, it will always print "squished".

OmniWeb does not do this. It prints faithfully, at least using default display size. I tried playing with font size in Safari preferences but couldnt quite get it right. And, like you said, the icons in the menu above each post print relatively large.

When I said its not a problem for me, I meant that at least all the message did print. With some browsers part of the text on the right will be clipped if you dont select landscape. It wont compensate for you.

One thing. I selected legal size and landscape on my print options and that gave me the closet yet. But Im feeling you dont want to have to resort to gimmicks like this. All I can say is its just different than some browsers. In the printing category, I may prefer OmniWeb. But overall Im leaning toward Safari.
  • Reply 55 of 64
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Still works okay for me... maybe clear the cache?

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by kelib

Works fine for me

Funny, it still doesn't work. I cleared the cache like you suggested, and I trashed the .plist, but it still won't load CNN.
  • Reply 56 of 64
    Bug reports don't seem to be sent if a screenshot and/or source is included. I get a 'Safari[380] *** -[NSCFString fileName]: selector not recognized' error in the console unless I send a bug report without a screenshot and/or source.
  • Reply 57 of 64
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Is the inability to load CNN a bug or a feature?
  • Reply 58 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Anyone here try to PRINT a web page yet?

That seems to be totally broken... A great example: http://www.macsurfer.com/

Try and print that page... What a mess...

I noticed it right away since I usually print it out when I go out for a smoke break at work but the fact is any web browser that can't print a page like it's displayed on the screen is pretty sad...

Note: that site has a stylesheet with a assigned media of "screen", so the site is *supposed* to look different when printed than it does when displayed in your browser window.

Having said that, yes, the margins when printing seem borked, which seems like a bug unrelated to the stylesheet.
  • Reply 59 of 64
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Thanks JLL didn't catch that. Cool. It's all good. I was scared for a second. Because Safari 1.0 needs work! For the first time ever except when I was running SMB (what a joke) Mr. Colonel Panic visited me. I had nothing running besides the Finder and Safari 1.0, reading a few threads here in tabs and POW it hit me. I was weirded out. Isn't it weird seeing a crash now? I feel ripped off and personally assaulted. I remember crashing hourly in Classic. Got to admit, it's getting better, *whistles*
  • Reply 60 of 64
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Because Safari 1.0 needs work!

This is what Hyatt has to say:

"Finally, I'd like to make yet another plea for my readers to stop bombarding me with email asking why some random Web site doesn't work flawlessly in 1.0. If you actually thought all 10 million Web sites would render flawlessly in 1.0, then you simply had unrealistic expectations.

About the best we can do from release to release is demonstrate forward progress, and I think it's clear that we have accomplished this. Go look at how many bugs have been fixed on diveintomark's Safari list from 74 to 85 for example, or take note of the fact that we've built an entire embedding framework (WebKit) for you to use in your Cocoa applications. Are we moving forward at an insanely fast clip? I think so.

Browsers take years to mature, and I know you'd like it all to be perfect right this instant, but that's simply an impossibility. Have patience. Safari will continue to improve, and it's likely that your particular issue will be addressed somewhere down the line. Also have faith that we know what we're doing. Do we know about the issue where popups sometimes set the default new window size? Of course. Do we know about the multiple animated GIFs pointing to the same URL issue? Yes. Do we know we could have better TITLE support? Yes. Do we know that we need to implement more accessibility features and options? Absolutely.

Can we magically implement all of the thousands of features and requests that we're being bombarded with in a single release? No. Of course not."