20-inch Apple Cinema Display vs. Dell OptiPlex GX270

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
[Yes, I know ... Dell ... Ugh, but please bear with me]

I am about to upgrade both my Macintosh (to a G5) and my PC. (I need both for my startup company as well as my consulting work and, no, Virtual PC isn't a viable alternative to the PC.)

My home office only has enough room for a single display, keyboard, and mouse to be shared by both machines. (Ah, the wonders of KVM switch boxes.)

I plan to get a 20-inch Apple Cinema Display to replace my old CRT and herein is my question.

Does anyone here know if a Dell OptiPlex GX270 with builtin Intel Extreme Graphics 2 (based on the Intel 865 chipset) or its optional "64MB nVidia®_ GeForce4 MX w/ DVI and TV-Out, 8XAGP" will support the resolutions of the Cinema Display (1680x1050, 1280x800, and 1024x640)?

For the record, I sent Dell Tech Support an email with this question. They referred me to their Spare Parts Support line! (Huh?)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I kind of doubt that the Apple Cinemas displays resolutions are supported.

I just bought a 20" display with one of the now discounted 1.25 GHZ dualie systems.

The screen is stunning.

I would not mind running the display on a PC if someone came out with drivers to support the resolutions. The ADC to DVI adapter is readily available.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    aureamauream Posts: 30member
    I'd be almost certain you can run those resolutions no problem. You may however need to download a program like PowerStrip on the PC to enable "odd" resolutions. Out of the box, usually only standard resolutions (1024 x 768, 1600 x 1200, etc.) are listed, but this is simply a software issue.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    You may not need powerstrip if Nvidia has caught up already. I know that the last Nvidia driver revision added support for the 23" cinema display.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Go here on Macnn there are fully illustrated instructions for setting resolutions for cinema displays on a pc with powerstrip

instruction for setting resolutions for cinema display on a pc