Send SMS text messages from iChat.

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
That's right folks, after posting in a few other threads I decided to start a new thread just to spread the word. This comes courtesy of Macinator over at ars...

Quote:

And for those who don't know yet, apparently you can now do SMS messages free through iChat (at least the AV version). Go under File-New Chat with Person, enter "+1" then the area code and phone number for their "address", type in your message, and away it goes. Handy.

Ken

This works with my shite verizon phone, when I try to reply to the message from my phone it says I need full digital service...

I'm assuming this is just a part of the AIM protocol and iChat benefits from it rather than some iChat specific feature.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    *wonders whether to dig up an old thread that may be interesting here*
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

*wonders whether to dig up an old thread that may be interesting here*

Do it.

I just sent an instant message to my girlfriend's cell phone number (+1-xxx-xxx-xxxx), and she replied back...all in the same iChat window for me. It sure beats inputing letters manually on my phone, or using Mail to send messages to her phone. It's perfect for those situations when she's away from her computer, calling her would be inappropriate, and inputting text manually using my phone would be annoying. I enjoy this feature a lot.

I also set up my phone so that I can receive instant messages whenever i'm signed off of my aol instant messenger screenname. My mobile icon appears in the AIM client, and all IM's are forwarded to my cell phone. Pretty cool feature as well. I wonder what it looks like in iChat.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Cant get it to work here.. "+10045xxxxxxxx" where the x's are my mobile number? This is in Denmark... 0045 is the areacode.

iChat doesnt even open a chat window!?
  • Reply 4 of 20
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Well, I was thinking... Harald, do you know something to make this work in Europe and stuff?
  • Reply 5 of 20
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    I enter it in this format...

Code:

+1 888 5465689

• Reply 6 of 20
    update: she called me a geek
  • Reply 7 of 20
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Yep, this is an AIM feature. It's built in to the Windows AIM client so that you can add a "text message buddy" permanently to your buddy list. In fact, after I had done this once on my Windows machine, the buddy appeared in my iChat buddy list too (before iChat AV).

Glad to see this trick though.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Tried it too. Works great.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Well, I was thinking... Harald, do you know something to make this work in Europe and stuff?

I wish I did! Not even played with this feature yet. But that is very cool if it free ...
  • Reply 10 of 20
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

As long as AOL don't offer that service outside the US it won't work.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    This feature worked in the old iChat also, for those that haven't dl'ed the iChat AV.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Shouldn't it work if you replace the 1 with whatever the country code is of the phone you're trying to dial? ie, while a US number would be +1, UK should be +44
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by agent302

Shouldn't it work if you replace the 1 with whatever the country code is of the phone you're trying to dial? ie, while a use number would be +1, UK should be +44

Should do (you'd think).

But doesn't.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

Should do (you'd think).

But doesn't.

Ah. That sucks. \
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Cant get it to work here.. "+10045xxxxxxxx" where the x's are my mobile number? This is in Denmark... 0045 is the areacode.

iChat doesnt even open a chat window!?

instead of entering +10045 enter countrycode for denmark.

if denmark is 44 then enter +44 and then the number. +1 is the US.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    7 years later.... welcome to the world of SMS

Back in '97 I remember that that phone companies weren't even charging for SMS since they thought nobody would use them.

fast forward to 2004 and here in France its about 12euro cents PER message, and anywhere between 25-40euro cents per MMS.

Bastards...
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

I just sent an instant message to my girlfriend's cell phone number ... and inputting text manually using my phone would be annoying. I enjoy this feature a lot.

For those not in America note that you can type and send/recieve SMS messages through AddressBook and a Bluetooth enabled phone.

Not quite as cool, nor as free, but still handy.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    though not all bluetooth phones i'm afraid to say...
  • Reply 19 of 20
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

For those not in America note that you can type and send/recieve SMS messages through AddressBook and a Bluetooth enabled phone.

Not quite as cool, nor as free, but still handy.

Does that still work for you? Since 10.3, address book doesnt pop up a window with the SMS... grrr...