R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Let us forget predictions for a moment. What, in all reality and seriousness, would Apple theoretically have to come out with at MWSF or MWTO to get your RESPECT back? Try to remember the speed dump fiaso, the current mhz gap that is now a ghz gap (and itself bigger than Apple's fastest processor machine!) and a three year old iMac. Don't get me wrong , I'm not going anywhere....but GD Apple, here is what I think!

You would need to:

1) Release a G5 PowerMac in excess of 1.4 GHZ with DDR RAM and 266mhz bus.

2) Release a flat panel GHZ iMac with an Apollo G4 and the top model with a SuperDrive (well I can live w/o the superdrive)

3) Bump ibook speeds too 900mhz or 1 GHZ.

4) Lower iPod price to $249 (Sorry, I laughed my ass off at $399....cool as it is and all)

5) Ship a combo drive PBG4 with a 1GHZ+ G4.

6) Lower PM Prices to 1299, 2199 and 2999.

7) Offer and Airport Card standard on all PM's.

8) No shipping pro model should have less than 256MB of RAM. Top model should have 1GB.

Perhaps more. This isn't just what I want...for what they charge this is what they should do. Esecially in the area of the speed gap....that is just ludicrous at this point.

My other processor scenario is G4's at 1.X through 1.6GHZ with all said features and G3 flat panel iMacs in the GHZ range.

Right now, if Apple doesn't break 1GHZ with ALL four of its comps than to the pubic it is a ****ing joke.

Still love you Apple, but I think we need counseling.

PS: This is a NO APPLE APOLOGIST ZONE.

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 107
    neomacneomac Posts: 145member
    [quote]Originally posted by SDW2001:

<strong>What, in all reality and seriousness, would Apple theoretically have to come out with at MWSF or MWTO to get your RESPECT back?</strong><hr></blockquote>

MY RESPECT FOR APPLE HAS NEVER BEEN GREATER. THEIR PRODUCTS HAVE NEVER BEEN BETTER. END OF THREAD.

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: NeoMac ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 107
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    lol. You want Apple to sell the iPod at a huge loss!?

and with those G4 speeds in a Powerbook you'd like be able to fry your food on the damn thing
  • Reply 3 of 107
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    [quote]Originally posted by NeoMac:

<strong>

MY RESPECT FOR APPLE HAS NEVER BEEN GREATER. THEIR PRODUCTS HAVE NEVER BEEN BETTER. END OF THREAD.

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: NeoMac ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ahmen!
  • Reply 4 of 107
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>lol. You want Apple to sell the iPod at a huge loss!?

and with those G4 speeds in a Powerbook you'd like be able to fry your food on the damn thing</strong><hr></blockquote>

They make more profit on the iPod then anyother product.
  • Reply 5 of 107
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    How much profit???
  • Reply 6 of 107
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    Dudes, the iPod is NOT a high-margin product., The drive alone costs $350.

I respect Apple. I agree that Apple needs to puta serious speed bump into ALL of its lineups in order to stay competitive. This is reality in the computer world.
  • Reply 7 of 107
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by NeoMac:

<strong>

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: NeoMac ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

You are smoking freakin crack. Apple has the highest profit margin in the industry. It is shipping PM's with 133mhz bus speeds for $3499. The speed gap is now almost 1.2 GHZ....WTF?

The iMac is three years old and still has 15" screen (not viewable area). The ipod is cool but don't even tell me $249 is a loss....maybe we'll say $299.

PowerBook Heat Issues: Not if Apollo is what we hear it will be....

I still love Apple...but not everyone gets it. I love their retail iniative and I will never go back to PC....but you guys are as frustrated as I am and you know it....
  • Reply 8 of 107
    [quote]Originally posted by cdhostage:

<strong>Dudes, the iPod is NOT a high-margin product., The drive alone costs $350.

I respect Apple. I agree that Apple needs to puta serious speed bump into ALL of its lineups in order to stay competitive. This is reality in the computer world.</strong><hr></blockquote>

WTF ever, dude. It might cost US that much....it probably costs them $150.00.
  • Reply 9 of 107
    Hmmm. I think that SDW2001 or what his name is has got a point. Only because i wouldn't even use a PC if the Mac was still on OS 7.6 and a g3 266 Mhz that doesn't mean I am blind, or have no needs.

And if you look at Apple from a students point of view, it is a RIDICULOUS Company. I know a huge amount of people who like Apple, but just think that they are takin' the PISS with their pricing policy. Well, everyone has to decide himself how much money he could spend, but if that decision is made so damn easy by Apple by simply delivering highly outdated technology (from an amateurs point of view), than it's time to talk about what they SHOULD do in order to be an attractive company again. Apple should NOT not continue this massively arrogant design policy and just design cool products for the sake of designing a cool product. After all it's people and their needs who they have to design it for. Takin that into account, their products will kick ass even more (well, they do anyway, designwise)If they continue neglecting that, they are already DEAD. So what do you guys NEED from a company like Apple? We should be going on and tell them. They will listen.

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: SuperKoch ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 107

<strong>

WTF ever, dude. It might cost US that much....it probably costs them $150.00.</strong><hr></blockquote>

do some research. the drive alone retails for 399-499.

Apple's "cost" for the iPod according to them is $319

that sounds about right to me. You thought Apple just made it 399 for the hell of it? give me a break. I'm sure they are dieing to cut the price.
  • Reply 11 of 107

<strong>

do some research. the drive alone retails for 399-499.

Apple's "cost" for the iPod according to them is $319

that sounds about right to me. You thought Apple just made it 399 for the hell of it? give me a break. I'm sure they are dieing to cut the price.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It doesn't cost them that much. No ****ing way. Maybe $250.
  • Reply 12 of 107

<strong>

It doesn't cost them that much. No ****ing way. Maybe $250.</strong><hr></blockquote>

look, face the facts.

the drive is retailing for 499 at some places.

Apple needs to add a case, firewire, the bridge chip, 2 processors, 32 MB of solid state storage, an LCD screen, a backlight, the OS, the headphones, and the packaging.

you're numbers of 150 and even 250 are insane for that at this time.

Apple generally sells Developers all their hardware at cost. The iPod is $319 for developers.
  • Reply 13 of 107
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    My Respect = My Money

They won't get another dime of it until I see a G5. My Rev. A iMac is still great for surfing the web and checking email, but it's a dog for everything else (including X, which I'm growing to love despite my speed issues). And now that I've been out of school and in the workforce for a couple of years I have some money to start getting into photographic manipulation and digital photography. So I really want to get a pro model in the coming year. However, I've played around with X on a 866 and a Dual 800 and I still remain unimpressed with certain speed aspects of the UI (ie. window resizing). Classic's UI on my Rev. A still gets the nod, and that's sad.

So basically I'm waiting for a machine that's going to make X fly and that will allow me to run some highend apps efficiently. The current offerings fall just a bit short. Add to that the prices, and I'm definitely not going to touch them with a 10 foot pole.
  • Reply 14 of 107
    Yeah right applenut. The price of the iPod is ridiculous. You know damn well it cost Apple a lot less than this supposed $319 figure you pulled out of your @$$.

For Apple to gain my respect they must release systems that not only compete with but beat PCs. That means G5s.

PowerMac

1.0, 1.2, 1.4 GHz

Rapid I/O

400 MHz bus

DDR RAM

new case with 2 5.25" drive bays

GeForce 3 standard

DVD-RW standard

1599, 1999, 2499, 2999

iMac

15" LCD w/1400x1050 resolution (see Samsung's LCDs)

IBM "Sahara" G3 (800 MHz-1 GHz)

200 MHz SDR bus

GeForce2 MX w/32 MB RAM

Powerbook G4

G4 "Apollo" 7460

1.0, 1.13, 1.26 GHz

133 MHz bus

combo drive

higher screen resolution

ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 or nVidia NV17 w/32 OR 64 MB RAM
  • Reply 15 of 107
    You won't be spending any money any time soon.
  • Reply 16 of 107
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Your question suggests that Apple actually CAN win the respect back

Anywais, There's just no f*ck!ng way I would buy an Apple now. In short I like reasonably (whatever that is) priced Mac that runs it OS flawlessly.
  • Reply 16 of 107

<strong>

look, face the facts.

the drive is retailing for 499 at some places.

Apple needs to add a case, firewire, the bridge chip, 2 processors, 32 MB of solid state storage, an LCD screen, a backlight, the OS, the headphones, and the packaging.

you're numbers of 150 and even 250 are insane for that at this time.

Apple generally sells Developers all their hardware at cost. The iPod is $319 for developers.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, they TELL developers they pay that much for hardware...and BTW, three words: RETAIL PRICES MEAN SHIT. It costs them less than $300....it has to...maybe $280....no more. The $150 was just a shot in the dark..

What do they charge a developer for dual 800?
  • Reply 18 of 107

<strong>

No, they TELL developers they pay that much for hardware...and BTW, three words: RETAIL PRICES MEAN SHIT. It costs them less than $300....it has to...maybe $280....no more. The $150 was just a shot in the dark..

What do they charge a developer for dual 800?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh, and I never said 150 and 250 were the final cost....I just meant the drive. who knows what they pay.....maybe we can find out....who makes it?
  • Reply 19 of 107
    Wow...I quoted myself....maybe I'll roll my eyes at myself

• Reply 20 of 107
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member

<strong>

What do they charge a developer for dual 800?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why does it have to be less than $300. I think everything that applenut said is pretty reasonable.