Amazing Race 4!!!!!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    masterzeusmasterzeus Posts: 111member
    Thanks for another great recap. I may be the only one reading it, but if you continue to post, I will continue to read and offer my comments.

I too didn't like Amanda and Chris. Glad to see them go. Kelly is my favorite person in the race. I just wish her partner was a little more with it. She is kind of cute and I have a thing for red hair. One thing that drives me crazy in this race is when people try to save money. Its not yours, spend it. This is why they were late for the train. They tried to save money be taking a bus instead of a taxi. I also like Millie and Chuck. They just seem to dwell on being virgins way too often. Jon and Al are not getting enough camera time. They are fun and funny guys. Who is David and Jeff? Why are they never shown? They are smart and atheletic guys. I guess CBS figures to give camera time to the teams that aren't going to be around for long. The ones that make it to the end will get tons of time later on.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Oh yeah, I'm not shy, I'll keep on posting a running commentary. You're probably right about CBS saving "face time" for the others until later in the race.

No doubt, Kelly is hot, but she's kind of whacko-obssessed with her boyfriend, and he looks as if he's just going through the motions with her. There's something more to that relationship...really hope they last long enough so we can see some more of how those two interact.

In my mind I keep sticking the last three teams from AR3 back into the race, I can still hear Ian berating Terri "Come on, move it Terri!". Watched a really scratchy copy of the last leg of AR3 with somebody last week....what a great finish. I totally forgot that the incredibly annoying Terri & Ian finished right behind the winners, the STUPENDOUSLY annoying Flo & Zach. I've never wanted to punch a girl in the nose until Flo. Now there's a poster-child for Lithium dosing. Somebody load her up, QUICK!
  • Reply 23 of 34
    Leg 3 : Venice, Italy to Gmunden, Austria

Shortly into this episode our local CBS station broke in with a "weather alert" for a tornado warning that was about to expire in three minutes. That woman yapped and yapped and yapped without saying anything important. SO, I have no idea why the teams were running through sewers in Austria.

Once the teams found the first route marker in Austria, they had to take a horse-drawn carriage ride. A wrinkle in this event surfaced as teams discovered that you had to grab a little paper ticket dangling from the side of a carriage to "claim" it as your own. Some teams had already climbed into carriages when othere teams grabbed the pass for that carriage. This event led to some bad feelings all around and may have been responsible for one team being eliminated.

The teams:

David & Jeff

These guys tried an alliance with Reichen & Chip, but it didn't really work.

Jon & Al

I like the clowns even more now since they stayed around to help out Millie & Chuck, as Millie was having a really scary asthma attack. Later on they showed cunning when they "stole" a horse & carriage from another team, a technicality that they took advantage of which set the tone for the rest of this leg of the journey...all the teams became a bit more ruthless because of the two clowns.

Kelly & JonGuess I need to watch this again to see what happened with these two...can't remember what they did.

Millie & Chuck

I didn't like Millie on this leg of the race, not sure why. Maybe it's the pack mentality of "kill off the weakest link" since she had TWO asthma attacks during the race. Her bitchiness at the horse carriage event added to it.

Monica & Sheree

These two get along, they hustle and they're just naive enough to be endearing. I hope they're in the final three.

Reichen & Chip

One of the guys (I still don't know which is which) got scratched by Millie during a tussle at the horse carriage event. The funny thing about these two is that they're not as out and out conniving as "Bert & Ernie" from Amazing Race #1 (thanks to JRC for the correction), but they seem to rise to the occasion if someone challenges them. Another team that I hope makes it fairly well into the race.

Russel & Cindy eliminated

Okay, I was ready for these two to lose by the time this leg was finished. He's a self-absorbed idiot and the way that she doted over him was way too strange. The best part was her realization at the end that she probably needed to ditch Jon.

Steve & Dave

Okay, last time around I predicted that the team wouldn't last through the fourth round....and I'm down to one more chance for that prediction to come true. This time around the boys managed to beat Kelly & Jon, thoroughly surprising themselves in the process. They've already mentally given up on winning the race, which makes them more of a spoiler now. Everybody I've talked to who watch the show have said that they're cheering for these two old guys. Go old guys!

Steve & Josh

Starting out pretty far back in the pack this father/son combo decided to go for the Fast Forward, walking a full tray of champagne glasses across a ballroom of 25 couples doing the Waltz. Winning this Fast Forward lofted the guys into first place, arriving at the lakeside Austrian castle ahead of the other teams.

Tian and Jaree

The out-of-shape model is going to be murdered by her team-mate is my guess here. During a train ride from Italy to Austria the in-shape model implored her team mate to reduce the contents of her backpack, insisting that the weight was slowing her down. Disdainful of the her team mate's advice, it was less than ten minutes later into the show that they were chugging along running somewhere and Miss "Don't Give Me Advice" was more or less saying that her pack was too heavy. This team deserves to lose SO BAD!! This is good that there's a team that annoys me so much, maybe they'll stay in the race to the end so I can yell at the TV some more.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    I thought Bert and Ernie were from TAR1?
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Crap, maybe you're right....I'll doublecheck.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Okay, I went back to the original TAR1 website and you're right..those guys were in the very first version of the show..they just made a lasting impression on me! I made the correction to my review of the third leg (above), thanks!

"Bert & Ernie" called themselves Team Guido and were about the best, most ruthless players EVER. It was fun to hate them for being so good at the game.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    You got your man/woman couples confused. Kelly and Jon are still in it. Russel & Cindy are the ones that got kicked out. And they deserved it. When you get a ticket for a plane/train/bus/etc, what is the first thing you do? You look to see where you are going. The idiots forgot that step and they deserved to lose.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    my bad!!! (fixed it!)
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Hey guys, let me know if I've made any mistakes!

Leg 4 : Gmunden, Austria to Provence, France

This group of racers is the most openly conniving bunch there's been yet. _After leaving the castle, teams headed to find an airport to get themselves to Paris. _While Steve & his son Josh left well ahead of the others, Josh made a decision to take a train to Salzburg instead of just taking a taxi straight to the airport. _That decision dropped the guys near the end of the pack. _Penny-wise, pound-foolish.

After boarding the airplane Reichen & Chip narrowly avoided penalization as they realized that they'd purchased Business Class tickets, turning around and removing themselves from the airplane and getting aboard a later flight. _The B.F.G.'s (Big Fat Guys) just kept pressing ahead, doing as best they could.

"To win the Amazing Race you need a lack of mistakes"

This was a round marked with mistakes and bad decisions. _Stopping, looking and listening skills are as important as muscle-twitch in this game.

The teams:

David & Jeff

These guys are starting to look like genuine putzes, attitude-wise. _Still nothing interesting here beyond a confrontation with Chip & Reichen.

Jon & Al

The clown boys held their own this trip, staying solidly in the middle of the pack.

Kelly & Jon

I think that so far I'd been confusing this team with the team that was eliminated last week. _Kelly has had to fight to be a decision-making force on her team, but she asserted herself this week. _This guy is a dumbass, he compared letting Kelly take charge on one event to "a woman's orgasm" because "it's hard to attain, but once they do they stay satisfied for a week". _Lots of brain cells rolling around in this idjit's brainpan.

Millie & Chuck

Somebody remarked on Millie's mole and that just made me chuckle. _I'm calling her "moley" or "Millie the Mole" from now on. _I don't know what it is about her that pisses me off so much...I think it's her ferocity combined with her effectivelessness. _Chuck went soft on us this week though when he had a fit of claustrophobia after climbing into the cab of the LeMans racecar. _He had to climb out and fan himself off. _He said a prayer and finally calmed down.

Monica & Sheree

You go girls. _These two were totally heads-down, getting-the-job-done throughout the first half of the race. _When confronted with rapelling down a cliff face they said a prayer together and went down the wall. _Playing nice as best they can. _I feel we'll see some more claws before the game is over. One thing, one of the girls doesn't know what the word "lollygag" means.

Reichen & Chip

This was a horrible leg for these two. _After missing a flight out of Austria they caught up to the front of the pack. _They tried to do the right thing and went to the back of the line at another roadblock only to catch some crap from David & Jeff. _ _Later down the road they mistook a road marker for a place to exit their car and headed down a trail....the WRONG trail! _This really knocked them way back in the running.

Steve & Dave

I can't believe that the guys have made it through the first four rounds. _They are TOTALLY playing spoiler now and I saw more power to them! _The fact that Kelly call them the B.F.G.'s (Big Fat Guy's) is funny. _They do fine when it's a non-physical activity, but the rapelling roadblock whacked the one guy's leg again. _Again, I unhappily predict that these two will not make it out of the next leg of the race.

Steve & Josh eliminated

The last team to arrive, these two got the slow-motion-glory music. _Lots of good Father/Son quotes and hugs and smiles. _That bad decision back at the beginning of the game will dog Josh for awhile. _

Tian and Jaree

These two were doing great until they got to the area where all the teams had to find a lighthouse. _The parking was whacky to begin with and since they pulled up last, they were put closest to the entrance by the guards. _The other teams lost it, challenging Tian and Jaree's integrity. _Hello? _It's "the game", you can DO that kind of stuff if you want to! _But, the girls stepped out of their cars and let everyone else go ahead of them when the gates to the docklands opened. _They found the next marker fast enough, but decided to go for the Fast Forward because they felt all the other teams were ahead of them. _Next week it looks like these two will self-destruct as a team....it's about dang time.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Good Bye to the BFG's, we will miss you!
  • Reply 31 of 34
    This update is dedicated to the BFG's!

Leg 5 : France to Amsterdam

This episode featured several teams who forgot how to be teams and started fighting with each other instead. The poster children for this were the models Tian and Jaree...Jaree seemed to go to great efforts to prove that she's EXTRA ugly on the inside.

"I'd like to rip your head off right now"

Jaree to her team mate Tian

The teams:

David & Jeff

Running in the back of the pack, these two are still running kind of silent. For awhile they were running in the back of the pack with the Big Fat Guys, not the way to win this race. But, they pushed themselves up off the back of the line back toward the middle.

Jon & Al

These boys are hitting everything with a lot of energy and good attitudes. They even made digging through cow manure look like fun...well, not fun...but they were slinging it on each other. Keeping themselves pointed straight ahead is helping them to stay competitive.

Kelly & Jon

Kelly doesn't feel that Jon trusts her, and he really doesn't seem to deny it. She's at least trying to be a proactive player, he's satisfied following other teams and trusting that they know where they're going. Never a guaranteed good idea. These two will DISengage when they get back stateside...if they know what's good for them. What I want to know is why do some girls use this show as a test of their future husband's devotion? It was obvious from the beginning how much Jon trusted Kelly.

Millie & Chuck

Kelly & Jon laughed about Millie & Chuck, having funny names for both of them. Millie is "officially" now "Millie the Mole" and Chuck is "the werewolf" because of the way he holds his mouth. Again, Millie is annoying beyond annoying and Chuck doesn't really seem to be on the ball.

Monica & Sheree

This was the first episode where I heard them called "The Supremes" by another team. The two seem to get along without rancor, which is always refreshing.

Reichen & Chip

Hustling to get ahead, these two decided not to break in front of another team at the airport, but only after they were threatened with violence. Now I see that these two aren't above deception or trickery to get ahead. So far they haven't been able to make that happen, but they will.

Steve & Dave eliminated

Well our two favorite couch-potatoes finally lost out, but they were right in there until the end. You could tell they were very disappointed to be eliminated, but it had to be expected at some point.

Tian and Jaree

Proof that girls can be really rude and nasty when they want to be, these two were at each others throats up until they got lost on the canals. At some point along the way Tian just gave up, went into her shell and allowed Jaree to attack her verbally. You could see the lights go out in her eyes....I don't know if these two will make it through another leg of the race together. I see violence happening soon with these two.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of the Big Fat Guys, but I was pulling for them to beat the Psycho Bitches From Hell. Oh well.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I can see why Jon doesn't trust Kelly. She's made several dumb decisions, and he's had several occasions to say "I told you so." SHE will lose the race for them.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    Oh yeah, I never meant to imply that Kelly was always right. All of us have some kind of character flaw, hers is that need to be seen as being right....and being trusted as being right. Jon pretty much nailed it when he said something like "she thinks that trusting her means doing what she says all the time".

One other question: Has Millie's mole gotten bigger and darker while the show's been on? I'm worried that she's growing something nasty up there on her lip. You do want to do that thing from the last Austin Powers movie..."mo-le, mo-le, mo-le.....".

At least I do.