Panther Requests? (with full details and screenshots from AppleInsider)

Comments

• Reply 161 of 552
    beigeanbeigean Posts: 10member
    you're right frawgz, as Gambit wrote on the bottom of page 1:

In response to using the Finder the Classic way, this version of the Finder looks closer to the old way (when the button on the right is pushed) AND, get this, it even REMEMBERS window positions like OS 9 used to!! This new Finder feels and reacts like a souped up Classic version (only with Brushed Metal instead of Platinum). Good news for some of you! The spatial Finder is back if you want it to be!

sounds good to me
  • Reply 162 of 552
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    The icons in the left pane resize automatically, in response to resizing the window. You can also drag the divider to adjust the width of the pane, or close it off/hide it completely. Steve showed the icons in the pane resizing in the keynote I believe.
  • Reply 163 of 552
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by foad

Yeah...it is user permissions. It is the same as the CAPABILITIES button in the Jaguar user preferences.

It's funny though that ADC sent me an email that a bug i filed regarding capabilities should be fixed in Panther DP, and they ask if I could check if that's correct.

• Reply 164 of 552
    While playing with Panther, I have notice some nice features that I haven't see discussed elsewhere so I thought I'll mention them here :

1- In the Services menu, there is a "scan and OCR" menu. So I suppose OCR is built in panther, and you can directly send the result to your current word processor

2-In Image capture there is a share menu that allows you to share a Capture device, there is a "enable web share" but did not figure out what it was.

3-In iSync, there is a "remote device" menu, but greyed. I suppose this is for OTA syncing

Panther rocks...
  • Reply 165 of 552
    Could someone confirm if Panther has OCR built-in. I looked for OCR software for OS X a while ago and it seems that though it is available, it's unreliable and horribly expensive. Having it as a feature in Panther would be nice.
  • Reply 166 of 552
    jerombajeromba Posts: 357member
    i don't know if someone has told this but it's possible to create proxy printer anywhere you want. Also when you select a textedit or preview file you can select print in the contextual menu... don't know if this work with other files.
  • Reply 167 of 552
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    has anyone tried it on a mixed environment for networking? Has networking (being seen on a windows/linux network) and setting workgroups, etc been improved??
  • Reply 168 of 552
    here's a question: can the left panes in the finder be switched to "text only" mode? i don't like running icons in my finder window because they're just so damned big. plus, having to space out the text made the icons space out oddly. and since they're the most dominant feature, it looked messy. i'd like it to run text only mode to save space like the current finder.
  • Reply 169 of 552
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by philrobin

3-In iSync, there is a "remote device" menu, but greyed. I suppose this is for OTA syncing

mmmmmm...
  • Reply 170 of 552
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by philrobin

Panther rocks...

You. Must. Tell. Me. More.

• Reply 171 of 552
    "Remote device" in iSync :

As I said the menu is greyed, so cannot test...

But I suppose this is for OTA (Over The Air).

Imagine you mac is connected on an always on connection, at home... then you have one of these nice Palm with wireless network... you are in the street and you sync with your mac at home...

That is just a guess, but I have seen a previous rumour that mentioned OTA syncing.
  • Reply 172 of 552
    Also I have noticed that the AddressBook has now a AppleScript menu, and the is an "AddressBook Plugin" folder in the library, so we'll soon see developpers creating extra features.
  • Reply 173 of 552
    Banner Page?

Here is something that is essential in a lab or office-An easy to use banner (aka cover page) utility built into the the printer settings or in the print monitor that can be configured for a printer. The old classic version allowed you to define the banner and whether you can print that info on the top, middle or center. So my impassioned question (and something that will bring more macs on site) is there an easy and customizable way to create a banner page in OS 10.3? If so, can you submit a photo or photos of the options? Thanks (if they add it, we'll get another dozen macs easily).

***(And yes, I know it is available via the underlying print engine, but you still have to make a custom sheet for each user, nothing automatic)
  • Reply 174 of 552
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

How do those ColorSync filters work, or rather, what the hell are they there for?

At the 1:04:00 mark of the QuickTime State-of-the-Union Presentation, Tim Schaff (VP, Interactive Media Group) explains it.

Essentially, QuickTime in Panther has modified the image (TIFF, JPEG, etc) importers/exporters so that color fidelity is maintained when that image is opened in various apps (Photoshop, BBEdit were the examples given) or by various devices (digital still cameras, scanners, video, etc.). While not a pro concern, since most pros stress color uniformity, this was applied so consumers wouldn't have to deal with color correcting (the implication's that most consumers are unaware of the problem, but Apple feels it's important for the experience). The correcting (via tagged ICC profies in QT or applying one when none is present) happens in the background, so no one know the difference.

I hope I haven't butchered the explanation; I'm a layman in all of this. Actually, after looking at the screen-shots, the user can fine tune quite a bit or just let pre-set profiles reign

At the 54:30:00 mark or so is a more in-depth explanation of Pixlet.

At the 47:00:00 mark is an explantion and demo for QTSS Publisher--pretty cool.
  • Reply 175 of 552
    tomctomc Posts: 1member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cygsid

[*]does iTunes still consume an abnormally high amount of CPU (15-20% on my 700 Mhz iBook)?

This is not an OS bug. This is an iTunes problem. The scrolling text in the songname window seems to eat a lot of CPU. If you want to reduce CPU usage, resize the window with the green button, then make it as small as possible with the resize handle so that the songname window disappears. No more scrolling text; therefore, less CPU use. (Closing the songname window or hiding it with command-H will not solve the problem, unfortunately. Apparently the program is still doing the scrolling calculations.)

Quote:

[*]does Word still consume 15-20% CPU in the background, seemingly doing nothing?

Again, this is not an OS problem. Here's a simplified explanation: In OS 9, an app must constantly ask the OS whether it has been asked to do anything. In OS X, the OS tells an app when it's needed; no need to "ask". This is true for both Cocoa and Carbon apps in OS X - but for Carbon, it's only true if the app has implemented the "Carbon Events" model. Poorly Carbonized apps that are still structured OS 9-style will still constantly ask the OS whether they're needed, and will eat processor time constantly polling the OS instead of waiting. This is the case with Word and many other Carbonized apps. Thus, Word uses CPU when it's doing nothing.
  • Reply 176 of 552
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i REALLY like the new QT look! the light metal contrasting with the dark...it looks really good i think. I wish i liked the metal finder more but i guess i can get used to it

i also would like to thank u brad...ur the man
  • Reply 177 of 552
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Thanks, ScottiB, it's all Greek to me. Sounds like this feature was made for me.
  • Reply 178 of 552
    c47c47 Posts: 12member
    I must say that I find the UI in Panther MUCH faster in many regards over Jaguar.

Sheets come up much faster, menus are instant, Exposé is WICKED (just wished there were more trigger options).

I'm torn on the Finder metal skin though...

Networking needs to be improved (My Linux machine running AppleTalk won't show but the SMB seems fine).

Mail is MUCH better now and the Help Viewer is like glass!!! Smooth and fast.
  • Reply 179 of 552
    ludwigvanludwigvan Posts: 458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gambit

Check this out though: if you Command-Tab, it no longer uses the Dock! All the icons for all the open apps pop up in the middle of the screen, can you can choose them by Command-tabbing or with your mouse! That's great! [/B]

As a rule, I don't really do one-word/emoticon responses, but...

!!! !!!
  • Reply 180 of 552
    Anyone can post details / screenshots of XCode nd IB, please.