Cheap LCD Display....to go with my G5 (hopefully)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am almost definatly getting a G5 but i'll need a display to go with it...as the fact that dropping $3000 isn't easy on my bank account i was wondering if any of you knew a place or model of a display that is cheap...not crappy, just cheaper. 15" LCD would be nice, with i'm hoping >300:1 ratio.

any suggestions i've been looking and i've found a couple but i was wondering if you know of any others

also 1024x768 is approx. equal to what res on a 17" CRT?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Samsung 152T, $289

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...r=pricegrabber

Samsung usually makes great LCDs in general, the 152T is their latest 15" DVI LCD that I know of, and if you look around I'm sure you'll find some reviews on it.

Edit:

Most people I know run a 17" CRT at 1024x768... so it should be the same. I think 17" CRT's can usually go up to 1280x1024, but things are usually too small at that res.

Other note - Samsung LCDs usually don't have the fastest pixel response rate, so if you're planning to do a lot of gaming you may want to check out some other LCDs. In general though, Samsung LCDs are very solid overall.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    thank you i will look into this...i will not be doing too much gaming but perhaps some...though i doubt it will bother me that much..thanks
  • Reply 3 of 29
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    G5 with a 15" LCD....doesn't make any sense
  • Reply 4 of 29
    gakuseigakusei Posts: 35member
    If you have a Micro Center near you, they have 15" Winbook LCD's for $299.99 with a $70 rebate. They're 300:1.

If you have a few extra bucks, they have a 17" for 379.99 that's 500:1. I'm planning on getting one eventually for my PB 12", but I haven't seen either in person. My experience with Winbook, though, is that they make quality stuff.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    vespavespa Posts: 2member
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vespa

Formac

definatly what i would get if i had the money...but i dont think i'm goign to have enogh after i dro the $3k on my computer
  • Reply 7 of 29
    I almost always get all of my stuff here:

www.tigerdirect.com

219.00 for this model,

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?sku=t299-1000
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by DrCreations

I almost always get all of my stuff here:

www.tigerdirect.com

219.00 for this model,

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?sku=t299-1000

thanks man this definatly look cool i'm looking at this

if i can afford that i will get it, but who knows
  • Reply 9 of 29
    I find it humorous that you're so willing to purchase a three thousand dollar computer, and then buy a really cheap LCD display to compliment it.

This is like buying an M3, but getting a cloth interior, no power windows, and a cassette deck.

Why not grab a single processor model and get a nicer display? Or get an Apple load and get a nice display. Come on man...
  • Reply 10 of 29
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Or shop around for a refurbished Apple display.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    All things being equal you should probably spend more of your budget on the part of the computer you're going to look at the most, the screen. Do you have a good 17" CRT lying around? Hook that up. There are still some GREAT 19" CRT models around that give amazing picture for 15" LCD prices. Get one of those.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Yeah, Matsu is right. And if you really need to have an LCD (and I'm at the point where I do; going back to a CRT gives me a headache within 30 minutes), get the 1.8GHz model and take the $600 you save and invest it in an LCD.

I mean, really, what were you going to use the extra processor for anyhow? Money is better spent on a good display.

besides, the G5 is overpriced anyway...

:: looks coyly in Matsu's direction ::
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

Yeah, Matsu is right. And if you really need to have an LCD (and I'm at the point where I do; going back to a CRT gives me a headache within 30 minutes), get the 1.8GHz model and take the $600 you save and invest it in an LCD.

I mean, really, what were you going to use the extra processor for anyhow? Money is better spent on a good display.

:: looks coyly in Matsu's direction ::

1st i don't think its over priced

2nd is the performance difference between dual 2ghz and single 1.8ghz is too much for the price increase

by years end when they come out with 3ghz 970's i dont want a single 1.8...that will become outdated much quicker then the big dog dualie. this computer needs to last me for the next 4-5 yrs so i dont skimp on power, i go all out when i make a purchase like this. the monitor could be updated

and keep in mind these rn't crappy monitors just cheaper..that link to the vison 17" has a 500:1 contrast ratio, the same dotpitch as the 17" apple monitor, and the same res for ALOT cheaper...not as good looking but not bad

the reason i'm going with LCD and not CRT is desktop realestate...i simply have no room to manipulate my keyboard when i have a CRT there
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

haha u seriously think the g5 is overpriced, i think its good for all it offers
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

Exposé.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Ast3r3x,

I'm with you, take the freaking fast computer. When you get the cash you can upgrade a $250 monitor easier than having to buy a new computer. I think the dual 2GHz is the best value. The single 1.8 will be obsolete too fast.

Have fun with the "Beast".
  • Reply 17 of 29
    I mention that they are overpriced as a sly reference to Matsu. I do happen to think they're wee expensive as well, but I'm over it, because I don't really have a choice

At any rate, I understand where you are coming from when you say you want the biggest and bestest because you want it to last you five years... I just don't agree. I find it difficult to take advantage of a three thousand dollar computer if the device that I use to visualize what it is doing is a tiny piece of crap.

But then again, I work in new media, television and interactive. It's all about having a good display. The way I see it, really, if you're going to be dropping that much money on a new computer, an extra six hundred dollars to get a display to take advantage of it doesn't seem like a very difficult thing to round up. Apple loans, credit cards, savings. You have until August after all.

I don't know, I am apparently the minority here, but I just don't see how you plan on taking advantage of such a high end piece of kit with what may turn out to be a really lousy display...
  • Reply 18 of 29
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?sku=T299-1002

you think that looks like a bad monitor?

keep in mind i'm 17 without creditcards or wanting apple loans...i don't take loans...i wait until i have enough money and buy something (at least this small)

i think this monitor looks awesome and seems relativly cheap

i'm confused why someone in ur field wouldn't understand the importance of having the fastest machien possible to get projects in and out as fast as possible

i now won't making as much money with this machine, but i am buying this mostly so i can have my own computer to program on...i'm making a program for photographers
  • Reply 19 of 29
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

Exposé.

Yeah, I don't think Exposé is going to help you with Photoshop.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?sku=T299-1002

you think that looks like a bad monitor?

Aesthetically, yes I don't know much about it, and LCDs can be a very touchy field; the bad ones are really bad, and the good ones can be rather pricey.

Quote:

keep in mind i'm 17 without creditcards or wanting apple loans...i don't take loans...i wait until i have enough money and buy something (at least this small)

Then wait for a few hundred extra bucks to get what you want, not settle for something. As you said, it's a big purchase.

Quote:

i think this monitor looks awesome and seems relativly cheap

Things that are relatively cheap, usually are.

Quote:

i'm confused why someone in ur field wouldn't understand the importance of having the fastest machien possible to get projects in and out as fast as possible

I already have a fast turnaround time for my projects. I don't do my video compositing on a mac anyway, so there is that for starters Second, the interactive work I do... really, is a dual 2GHz G5 really necessary for working with Flash, BBEdit, and Photoshop? Keep in mind that I design for the screen, not print, and Photoshop was snappy enough working with 72dpi composites on my 9500. Maybe if I did more 3D animation I would be more compelled, but then again, I wouldn't be doing it on a Mac if I wanted a serious 3D box. So for now, I'm quite happy with LightWave and my mini-render farm in the apartment.

Face it, desktop computers are getting to a point where the CPUs are quite acceptable for most people. The bottleneck is now coming elsewhere, and first and foremost I point the finger and data storage and retrieval. but I digress...

I buy the tools I need for the job. This G4 here has been working great, and if I don't have to upgrade, I don't, because that keeps profits high. Since I work with visual media, to me, it is important for me to have an exceptional display. And going back to an earlier metaphor, you bet your ass that if I buy an M3, I'm getting the leather seats, power windows, and CD changer. Because like you, I'm not into upgrading my systems very often, so when I do, I go all out. But all out for me is beyond the box, and includes the things such as a display.

Quote:

i now won't making as much money with this machine, but i am buying this mostly so i can have my own computer to program on...i'm making a program for photographers

So let me turn the previous question around on you in a somewhat skewed way: Why does a programmer need a dual 2GHz G5? Does compiling really take that long? I don't know, I'm not a programmer, so I'm asking here.

But hey, if you care more about the horsepower than visualizing what is being done with that horsepower, then by all means, buy the biggest box you can and compromise with a low end LCD. We're obviously in different lines of work here.

I'm not telling you that you're making a wrong decision that will end in the slaughter of all mankind.... I know you're seventeen, and while I doubt it will work, I felt it worthwhile to play devil's advocate in regards to the logic surrounding your purchasing decisions