powermac G5 cube.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I messed my old thread up people thought i was talking about when we will get G5's. well there here and im human and i make mistakes.

mods can close the other thread.

anyway i was wondering what's the likely hood of a G5 cube arriving in the near future to fit a prosumer market.it doesnt need to be an exact cube shape.

maybe macworld 2004

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    someguysomeguy Posts: 9member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robby

I messed my old thread up people thought i was talking about when we will get G5's. well there here and im human and i make mistakes.

mods can close the other thread.

anyway i was wondering what's the likely hood of a G5 cube arriving in the near future to fit a prosumer market.it doesnt need to be an exact cube shape.

maybe macworld 2004

Now your talkin my language!

I think this is very likely. The new G5s are beasts in terms of power consumption and heat dissipation, which requires a beast of an enclosure. When the G5 gets its shrink to 0.09 microns, it will be cooler and that should bring about a new cube-like box.

I think that we are looking at sometime next year for this though. I'm really looking forward to it.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    robbyrobby Posts: 108member
    fingers crossed. doesnt need to be top of the line. just decently fast chip and all the other things whcih i cant think off that every once out of a cube upgrade
  • Reply 3 of 13
    ariari Posts: 126member
    I think the general idea is a good one. I don't particularly care for the "cheese grater" look on a machine this small, though. But Apple needs a lower-cost, somewhat-expandable, headless-CPU. Apple has learned from the numerous errors of the Cube and I doubt would fall victim to them again. If they build upon the numerous strengths of that product and address its shortcomings, they would have a winner, and one especially attractive to potential converts to the Macintosh. In fact, Apple should intend for this machine to help them gain market share by being generous with features and allowing for relatively-low profit margins on it.

Perhaps from 1.6 GHz to 2.0 GHz G5s (all single processor, of course) priced from $1599 to $1999 including a 17" flat-panel display. It could be called the xMac or the ProMac.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I don't think we see a Cube for a LONG time. Consumers can't seem to get over expandibility. Sure some users see hte benefit of small and quiet but not enough to warrant another go at it from Apple IMO. I hope I'm wrong.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    With the G5 Powermacs now enjoying a 'new' tier..., 3 single Cpu G5 Cubes could occupy a prosumer ground.

However, it should be noted that the G4 Towers have occupied a substantially lower price bracket compared to this time last year...

I think it might be more likely we'll see a Cube form a headless Mac strategy...?

Maybe two Cubes. G5 PowerCube under the G5 Towers. iCubes under the iMac2/eMac...?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 6 of 13
    i, fredi, fred Posts: 125member
    never in a million years. steve admits mistakes as often as GWB solves the SNYT crossword puzzle.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Never in a billion years. No way Apple is going to make a custom mobo for the machine. No way you are going to make it fanless (folks, even after a die shrink, the 970 is still hot at high end speed). No way Apple is going to admit that the Cube was a good idea.

Ok, so maybe it might use the same mobo as some future 970 powerbook and maybe it will have a slower G5, but no way that Apple is going to make anything cube related. As far as Apple's thinking goes, the cube is an unperson.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

Never in a billion years. No way Apple is going to make a custom mobo for the machine. No way you are going to make it fanless (folks, even after a die shrink, the 970 is still hot at high end speed). No way Apple is going to admit that the Cube was a good idea.

Ok, so maybe it might use the same mobo as some future 970 powerbook and maybe it will have a slower G5, but no way that Apple is going to make anything cube related. As far as Apple's thinking goes, the cube is an unperson.

Are you sure about that? They did "put it on ice," which suggests the possibility that they'd thaw it.

And the Cube doesn't have to have a 970, you know, although we still haven't seen the low-voltage version. As for fanless, you do know that the Cube has a mount for a fan at the bottom of its convection tunnel, don't you? So even with the existing design, "fanless" is negotiable.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    nelahinelahi Posts: 2member
    My sincerest hope is for a low-end G5 cube. The design doesn't need to be fanless either. Maybe in six or eight months, the chip cost may have dipped enough to accomidate a low-end unexpandable system. The novelty of the cube alone might sway a person from a VAIO if the price was right. I would like to see a complete system for maybe $1400. That would best a Sony VAIO 2.8GHz machine w/ a 15" Flat Panel by $150. It would be a nice draw.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Quote:

My sincerest hope is for a low-end G5 cube. The design doesn't need to be fanless either. Maybe in six or eight months, the chip cost may have dipped enough to accomidate a low-end unexpandable system. The novelty of the cube alone might sway a person from a VAIO if the price was right. I would like to see a complete system for maybe $1400. That would best a Sony VAIO 2.8GHz machine w/ a 15" Flat Panel by $150. It would be a nice draw.

I'd love a G5 Cube. I'd be in heaven.

0.09 970 and away we go? Bit of design tweaking here and there... Be a bit bigger than an old Cube like the new Tower is a bit bigger than the tower it replaced. I could go for a 'mini-me' version of the G5 case...complete with handles top and bottom! Great for Unreal Lan' parties?

'Hi, this is my G5 Cube...hook 'er up...cos I'm gonna whoop yer Xeon-ass with my 60 fps Dell-can't-go faster stripes...'

Hee.

I wonder if we could get the several thousand strong Appleinsider message boarders to sign a 'Bring back the Cube' thread petition and post it on to Apple...?

Either way, I'm convinced there's room for that headless low(er) end. Sub Tower, Sub eMac. One that scales from low-end G4 (heh...) right upto low end G5!

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 11 of 13
    G5 cube... well I for one would like to see a G5 PB (15.4") before a G5 cube. The cube sounds like a good idea. Humm.... but will apple do it?

"The new PowerMac G5 Cube, because we can."

Cube it up apple!
  • Reply 12 of 13
    zwidazwida Posts: 6member
    "The new PowerMac G5 Cube, because we can."

or maybe,

"The new PowerMac G5 Cube, because we'd like to confuse the marketplace."

I think that the eventual G5 17" iMac will address this need. A gussied up iMac with a 17" flat panel is the very manifestation of the Cube aesthetic.

Even as a happy Cube owner I cannot imagine this EVER coming back.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    robbyrobby Posts: 108member
    lets hope so. i wish there was some sort of reliable info that would give as a ray of hope.

G5 imac 17 inch last hope.