AirPort > ADSL

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey,

I've got my AirPort connected to a hub with my cable modem (ethernet connection). It's shares out my connection to my imac and my wireless PowerBook and PC laptop. No Problems right?...

Well now my boss wants the same setup except he has ADSL with a USB connection. He's bought an AirPort Extreme base station and I need to know if I can use the USB port on the AE Base to connect to his USB ADSL line?

Anyone got any wisdom on this?

Rob

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Nope. I think the USB port is just for printer sharing. Only the WAN port accesses the internet.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    ensoniqensoniq Posts: 131member
    If the ADSL modem your boss is using absolutely requires it be connected to his machine via USB, then the USB port on the Airport Base Station will not work.

If his ADSL modem also has an ethernet port, then that will work fine with the Airport Base Station.

If not, a better solution would be to eliminate the Airport Base Station, and turn on the Software Base Station in the iMac. That way, the USB DSL connection can be shared with his laptop.

-- Ensoniq
  • Reply 3 of 6
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensoniq

If the ADSL modem your boss is using absolutely requires it be connected to his machine via USB, then the USB port on the Airport Base Station will not work.

If his ADSL modem also has an ethernet port, then that will work fine with the Airport Base Station.

If not, a better solution would be to eliminate the Airport Base Station, and turn on the Software Base Station in the iMac. That way, the USB DSL connection can be shared with his laptop.

-- Ensoniq

But also his iMac would have to be always on.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Unless the ADSL modem has ethernet too, then it wont work.

You can pick up a Netgear ADSL router quite cheap and they work quite well. I have installed 4 of them in local companies so far.

G
  • Reply 5 of 6
    robsterrobster Posts: 256member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

Unless the ADSL modem has ethernet too, then it wont work.

You can pick up a Netgear ADSL router quite cheap and they work quite well. I have installed 4 of them in local companies so far.

G

Cheers for your comments guys,

As I thought I'll have to get BT to upgrade him to a ethernet box, the USb version doesn't have it.

I don't relish the uphil fight with BT and there idiot engineers and phone staff but there you go!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    That, or, if you haven't purchased the base station yet, you can buy an 802.11g ("Airport Extreme") DSL router/firewall/print server/hub from any major brand for much less than the cost of a base station, and plug the ethernet connection straight into that. It will also have at least three, maybe four 100-base-T ethernet ports built in.

I use a USR 802.11b WiFi router/print server/firewall/hub w/ three ports, works like a charm w/ powerbook g4's airport (wifi), my dad's PC (ethernet), laptop (wifi), printer (via CUPS/Gimp-Print) and sister's laptop (wifi).

The US Robotics cost me $180 after taxes, Canadian dollars, whereas the (original) Airport Base Station would have cost me $450 plus taxes for far less functionality, and perhaps poorer reception (1 antenna vs two).