DVD Drive

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a G4 that I would like to put a DVD-R drive in. I have heard that only the Pioneer would be recognized by iDVD. Does anyone have any input on this?

Thanks,

Steve

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Steve8001

I have a G4 that I would like to put a DVD-R drive in. I have heard that only the Pioneer would be recognized by iDVD. Does anyone have any input on this?

Thanks,

Steve

I'm not sure if that is true, but I can say that I have purchased a Pioneer DVD-r drive, and installed it in a G4, and it's superb. BTW, I just burned a DVD today.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    sempersemper Posts: 2member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I'm not sure if that is true, but I can say that I have purchased a Pioneer DVD-r drive, and installed it in a G4, and it's superb. BTW, I just burned a DVD today.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your Pioneer? It is internal, I assume? The DVR-A05? I'd sure like to get one myself.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    russsrusss Posts: 115member
    Semper,

I bought mine (Pioneer DVR-A05/105) last January at Staples for $250 with a $50 rebate! Several companies buy the drives and package them under their own name and very often sell them at cheaper prices. Mine was from a company called Cendyne. I/O Gear is another brand that does this.

If you're in a store like Staples, Office Depot, Best Buy, etc. and you see a drive who's description sounds just like a Pioneer, you might ask a salesperson if he knows what brand is in the box or maybe get him to open one up to see.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    The Pioneer A05 DVD-RW that I installed in my G4 AGP works with iDVD.
  • Reply 5 of 5

...well.I think an external dvd drive also can work,try this,,,