how long before g5 Powerbooks?

Comments

• Reply 121 of 163
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thai Moof

Or could it be that he is just trying to get people to his site to sell his stuff?

I think you all are being too nice to Macwhimpers...

That's the theory that I believe in. Even though much of Jack's behavior and attitude is "off-putting," it is excellent PR, which leads the gullible to buy his products. I think Jack Cambell is below Ryan Meader on the foodchain. It's one thing to make stuff up to entertain, like Ryan does. It's an entirely different story to lure unsuspecting rumor-hungry Mac-newbies to a product site run by the same entity. From atop my soapbox, it looks like Jack is nothing but a scam "artist."

As for the theory that Campbell got caught up in the rumor fever like the rest of us, no way! His M.O. is a conscious and deliberate effort to sell more product.

Escher
  • Reply 122 of 163
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Let's get back on topic!

Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Perhaps the person at the other end didn't know the difference between a 970 and a 7457....

That would be nice. If it were true that Campbell's "source" said that PowerBooks with a new processor are in production, and that new processor was Moto's PPC 7457, that wouldn't be bad at all (if true). Considering the power savings the PPC 7457 is said to bring, I wouldn't mind seeing one in the next revision of all three PowerBooks.

We all know that Apple want to get the PPC 970/G5 in the PowerBook line asap. They have a vested interest in making it happen as soon as possible. But obviously, that vested interest is likely to be ahead of the engineering team. I won't get my hopes up for a PowerBook G5 until next spring at the earliest.

Escher
  • Reply 123 of 163
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kecksy

From Mac Rumors:

New PowerBook Model ID's?

Friday June 27, 2003 01:17 AM

One user notes the following PowerBook model names

PowerBook6,2

PowerBook5,2

PowerBook6,3

PowerBook5,3

In Panther Preview (/System/Library/Extensions/AppleMacRISC2PE.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

Portable2003_PlatformMonitor.kext/Contents/MacOS/Portable2003_PlatformMonitor)

The current PowerBooks carry the following designations:

12" PowerBook -> PowerBook6,1

17" PowerBook -> PowerBook5,1

15" PowerBook -> PowerBook3,2

So it looks like four new PowerBook models are in the works. Interesting.

I wouldn't be too sure. Coincidentally, while installing Panther and following the live installer log, I noticed it described my computer as: PowerBook4,2 @ 600 MHz. I am working on a 14" iBook. However, there might be something in the works.
  • Reply 124 of 163
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

I wouldn't be too sure. Coincidentally, while installing Panther and following the live installer log, I noticed it described my computer as: PowerBook4,2 @ 600 MHz. I am working on a 14" iBook. However, there might be something in the works.

der Kopf, follow this link and scroll down the page; there you find your powerbook 4,2.

as far as i can see it's correct. your ibook is a powerbook
  • Reply 125 of 163
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    The 12-inch PowerBook is now listed as "3-5 Days" at the Apple online store. If it is truly the "year of the notebook" as Steve Jobs has said, then we should see new PowerBooks shortly. Consider that NECC is this week (June 29th-July 2nd). NECC is the Nat'l Educational Computing Conference, and it's listed as an "Apple Event" on Apple's Hot News page.

Also, I feel compelled to write that perhaps the 15-inch PowerBook may indeed be history. Could it be that the 15.4-inch screen is not for a PowerBook but for an iBook (pscates are you reading?)??? Also consider these minor details:

1) Recent Panther build shows model IDs for newer 12-inch and 17-inch PowerBooks, but not for 15-inch PowerBooks.

2) Slip up on Tony Hawk page on Apple Store says requirement is iBook G4; Greg Joswiak said this week G4 is in every line.

Given that, could we see complementary systems in both the pro and consumer space; i.e. 12-inch and 15-inch iBooks = consumer, 12-inch and 17-inch PowerBooks = professional? Probably unlikely, but something to ponder...
  • Reply 126 of 163
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I hadn't considered that. Granted, I don't really BELIEVE it, but if I could get a luscious 15" iBook for $500-800 less than what I was going to lay out for a PowerBook, then heck yeah I'd get an iBook...IF it had a G4, AirPort Extreme and, say, 1GHz.

SuperDrive too? Sure, why not.

But seriously, Apple killing the 15" PowerBook. No way. If there's ever been a flagship product in Apple's lineup (besides the iMac DV, of course), it's the cool mid-range PowerBook!

Bastard, now you got me all thinking and re-working numbers!

• Reply 127 of 163
    matt31matt31 Posts: 14member
    I think the new Powerbooks are comming. Apple is ready to give us an update and they have to do it. The sales of the current Powerbooks are low because we are wating for an update. I think Apple will continue having the iBook.

I am wating to see what happens next week. I dont know why, but my magic ball is telling me something.

• Reply 128 of 163
    pscates,

It doesn't make sense. I agree. For Apple to dump their midrange PowerBook model, especially at a time when they need to striate their professional product line to make it more compelling is silly. However, this is Apple remember!

If you were to say last weekend that Apple was going to intro G5 towers, price their entry point higher and retain and reduce the prices of G4 towers, you'd be laughed off the board.

So I'm longing to figure out and understand what Apple may do...think outside the box so to speak. I just find it interesting that a preview version of Panther has the future models of the 12-inch and 17-inch PowerBook and not those of the 15-inch. Rumors have ciculated that the new ATi mobile graphics card will be used with a new Apple 15-inch portable. Why a shift back to ATi when the new aluminum models shifted to nVidia? When the alu models debuted and iBooks were update not long thereafter that ATi was relegated to the iBooks. So I am trying to put Apple's thinking cap on and see what they see.

Therefore, what if Apple were to -- by dropping the 15-inch model -- bring the 17-inch pricing to around the 15-inchers current levels?

For example:

iBook G3 900 MHz - 12-inch Combo

$999

iBook G3 900 MHz - 14-inch Combo

$1,299

iBook G3 1 GHz- 15.4 Widescreen Combo (64 MB ATi graphics)

$1,699

PowerBook G4 1 GHz - 12-inch Combo

$1,499

PowerBook G4 1 GHz - 12-inch SuperDrive

$1,699

PowerBook G4 1 GHz - 17-inch SuperDrive

$2,299

PowerBook G4 1.25 GHz - 17-inch SuperDrive

$2,699

It's likely though that the 15-inch will remain in the PowerBook line and will be replaced soon. It also could be that Apple has done a focus group and found that the 15-inch is more popular with consumers than pros. At least a few people whom I know bought the 15-inch Ti not because it was a G4, but because they loved the size and wideaspect of the screen. Something to think about.
  • Reply 129 of 163
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755 Therefore, what if Apple were to -- by dropping the 15-inch model -- bring the 17-inch pricing to around the 15-inchers current levels?

Well, you never said THAT!

Hell yeah, if Apple started selling the 17" model at $2599 or whatever, then BY ALL MEANS drop the 15"

I've got NO problem with that at all.

What they CAN'T (and I'm sure WON'T) do is have 12" PowerBooks with no DVI or L3 cache, topping out at $1799 in price. THEN jumping up to a full-tilt "Lexus" 17" model for $3299. WHAT goes in that $1500 gap in the middle?

• Reply 130 of 163
    BTW, current pricing on 15" PowerBooks is $1999 and $2599, for the combo drive and SuperDrive model, respectively. I know they might skootch back up if the scenario you describe above ever came to be, so I guessing that's probably why you listed $2299 and $2699?
  • Reply 131 of 163
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

BTW, current pricing on 15" PowerBooks is $1999 and $2599, for the combo drive and SuperDrive model, respectively. I know they might skootch back up if the scenario you describe above ever came to be, so I guessing that's probably why you listed $2299 and $2699?

Ahhh, yessir...you are not going to find a cheaper 17-inch notebook. What you will find, however, is a cheaper 15.4-incher than what Apple currently offers (at 15.2). Therefore, it seems more like a consumer screen than the pro screen and the 17-inch should be reserved for the desktop replacement.

You're right...the G4 12-inch needs to acquire both DVI and L3 cache to bring it into parity with the G4 used in the 17-inch. If you wanted to go to the $3,299 price point, add a second processor
  • Reply 132 of 163
    Can I ask you something (you can answer by kicking the floor, so as not to get in trouble...)

Do you actually know something (have some insight) or is this all just speculation/guessing? You say a couple of things with enough tinge of authority that it's made me stop and go "hmmm...".

Are you just a fellow unknowing schmo like the rest of us, or are you trying to tell us something?

• Reply 133 of 163
    Sorry to disappoint but I, like many others here, am speculating. The reason why it sounds good is because I'm using Apple's thinking.
  • Reply 134 of 163
    Ahh, yes...the "history has no meaning and what we've done in the recent past has no bearing and so don't try and figure it out because we'll throw you a curve as soon as you think you have us pegged" school of thought?

Never forget: the Key Lime iBook, the Flower Power iMac ( ) and, to a lesser degree, the 12" PowerBook.

Good call, my man. You might be on to something!

• Reply 135 of 163
    matt31matt31 Posts: 14member
    Nice if that happens. we will see the 15" PB for long time.
  • Reply 136 of 163
    The Fox Mulder in me looks at the 15" PowerBook situation - no updates since November, I believe, and a C O N T I N U I N G dragging-out of the update/revision we all KNOW has to be (aluminum skin, AirPort Extreme, Bluetooth, FireWire 800, DDR RAM, blah, blah, blah...) - and wonders WHAT is up?!?!

Depleting the supplies of the TiBook, I suppose.

Never has one product been so due, so desired and so perfect...and yet, so "not in existence".

• Reply 137 of 163
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Depleting the supplies of the TiBook, I suppose.

We shall see...as I noted earlier, the TiBook whose availability was "Shipping Same Day" for some two months has slipped to 1-2days and its younger cousin, the 12-inch combo drive, has slipped to 3-5 days.
  • Reply 138 of 163
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    3-5 days doesn't really indicate anything per se. When it ships in 7-10 days, then I'll suspect something.

I was thinking today that its possible they'll just upgrade the line in one shot...970 PowerBooks all around. I'd say it's unlikely. If it happens, we have a while to wait. I'd also expect the G4 to make its way into the iBook very soon, but I doubt until the 970 appears in the PB.
  • Reply 139 of 163
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

3-5 days doesn't really indicate anything per se. When it ships in 7-10 days, then I'll suspect something.

I was thinking today that its possible they'll just upgrade the line in one shot...970 PowerBooks all around. I'd say it's unlikely.

I think Apple will upgrade all of the PowerBooks all at once: but to the 7457 version of the G4. For the 12" and 17", that shouldn't be much more than a drop-in replacement of the processor. The 15" would be getting a new mobo anyway (a lot of physical re-layout from the old mobo, not much architectural change likely).

Hopefully the 12" is being changed just enough to get DVI... and an L3 cache would be nice.
  • Reply 140 of 163
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    There was a rumor here a while back about some electronics manufacturer in Taiwan producing motherboards in two different sizes. With the advent of the G5 towers, I wouldn't think it would be them (or would the two sizes account for dual/singles? I dunno).

If I recall, they said a longer motherboard and a shorter motherboard were being produced. And if Apple does indeed go "out of the box" for the next major PowerBook update, this would seem to match the speculation that no further 15" PowerBooks are to be made, or either a single wider motherboard works in both the 15" and 17" models.

Trouble is, we never got the specs of the circuitry on those darn things! I took the rumor with a grain of salt then and still do now, but it seems to match up with this wild idea. I KNOW Apple would love to have a low-priced G4-powered consumer laptop; and moving the iBook to the specs of the former PowerBooks would do it. But what would be in store for the "professional" line? I think Apple engineers have already figured out the architectural requirements for dropping a 970 in the PowerBooks (from the keynote it would seem Apple went to IBM first with an idea for stripping down their Power4 CPU --- who knows how long they've been working on it in actuality).