OSX getting faster?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I keep trying to find if Panther has any minimum system requirements, but aside from G3 and higher and 128+ ram I can't find anything.

My personal experience is that OS X has gotten faster on the same hardware with each release. If true this is a really new phenomena. Of course, in my case at least one of the speed bumps was due to Quartz extreme, but still. What happened to forcing people to buy a new computer by increasing the OS demands?

Looks like Apple might be unnecessarily requiring faster computers for iChatAV, but other than that I have to say I'm impressed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nordstrodamus

I keep trying to find if Panther has any minimum system requirements, but aside from G3 and higher and 128+ ram I can't find anything.

My personal experience is that OS X has gotten faster on the same hardware with each release. If true this is a really new phenomena. Of course, in my case at least one of the speed bumps was due to Quartz extreme, but still. What happened to forcing people to buy a new computer by increasing the OS demands?

Apple obviously thinks their hardware pipeline looks good enough that they don't need to force the issue.

Quote:

Looks like Apple might be unnecessarily requiring faster computers for iChatAV, but other than that I have to say I'm impressed.

This reminds me of something a columnist wrote (can't remember who, so no attribution, sorry), that while MS was content to offer a small, stuttery image in their Messenger video chat program, Apple would rather die than offer anything "small" or "jittery." The system requirements for iChat AV probably have less to do with what you could possibly run the system on, and what you'd have to run the system on in order to get results that Steve would consider suitably polished and high-quality. And, of course, it's an incentive to buy a new computer.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

This reminds me of something a columnist wrote (can't remember who, so no attribution, sorry), that while MS was content to offer a small, stuttery image in their Messenger video chat program, Apple would rather die than offer anything "small" or "jittery."

That would be our good friend David Pogue.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nordstrodamus

Where did you read that the minimum requirements for Panther are a G3 and 128 MB RAM? If that's true then I can run it!! ^_^
  • Reply 4 of 21
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    I took the trouble to type everything in, and either Safari or VB ate my post. Yes I do have Panther.

So if you don't have a USB (aka NewWorld) Mac, you will not be able to run Panther without some crazy hack. A thousand apologies to owners of beige G3s and earlier PowerBook G3s.

Keep in mind these are the supported requirements. I imagine many retail and flashed graphics cards would work (eg a PC GeForce 3 or a Radeon 8500). Also, you can probably run Panther with less than 128 MB. To run it at speed however, you do need 256 MB or more.

Barto
  • Reply 5 of 21
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Barto

From "Read Before You Install Mac OS X".

Quote:

Supported computers

You can install this version of Mac OS X on

On..... what? you didn't include the rest..... Barto do you have Panther?
  • Reply 6 of 21
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

I took the trouble to type everything in, and either Safari or VB ate my post. Yes I do have Panther.

So if you don't have a USB (aka NewWorld) Mac, you will not be able to run Panther without some crazy hack. A thousand apologies to owners of beige G3s and earlier PowerBook G3s.

Keep in mind these are the supported requirements. I imagine many retail and flashed graphics cards would work (eg a PC GeForce 3 or a Radeon 8500). Also, you can probably run Panther with less than 128 MB. To run it at speed however, you do need 256 MB or more.

Barto

Also, remember that these are the system requirements for the Beta, which may not be the same for the GM. I would imagine that they are just 'CYA' on the video card issue... at least until the GM comes out. But, this is just rampant speculation
  • Reply 7 of 21
    If the title of your post includes "OS X", you may wish to think about posting it in the Mac OS X forum.

(moving...)
  • Reply 8 of 21
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i wonder if the b&w will continue to retain ADB support? i imaging part of discontinuing the beige is to eliminate the need to support the ADB...the B&W of course has both ADB and USB...doesn't affect me too much, since i don't use the ADB (i own a B&W...just got it and glad i didn't get a beige )
  • Reply 9 of 21
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    ADB support should remain - all Apple laptops use the ADB bus for the trackpad. That includes iBooks and recent PowerBooks that don't have ADB ports. It's weird, but true.

I think it has more to do with not wanting to deal with all the problems that beige G3 and Wallstreet owners have installing OS X. For some people, it simply won't install, and for others, they have real trouble getting it to work and stay working.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I think it has more to do with not wanting to deal with all the problems that beige G3 and Wallstreet owners have installing OS X.

Could be they are trying to get rid of the "Oldworld-ROM" support... but I am uncertain whether the beige G3 and Wallstreet were the last machines with Oldworld or the bondi-iMac.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    That is exactly what they're doing. Removing all support for OldWorld Macs from the OS. The only reason Apple built in half-baked (no floppy etc) support for OldWorld <10.3 was/is the rioting mob of beige G3 users.

Barto
  • Reply 12 of 21
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Old-World ROM is out, but the makers of XPostfacto believe there will be a Panther version...so the beat goes on!
  • Reply 13 of 21
    its ok computer....everything will be alright.... *pats beige g3 tower*

i have a 266mhz beige G3, with a USB card. do you think that will trick the panther installer into thinking i have some kinda weird, slow b&w g3?
  • Reply 14 of 21
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

I have a 400MHz G3 and 136MB of RAM: I wonder if it will run on my 6400? (Joke: I know that there's absolutely no way that Mac will run 10.3)

Will any versions of Mac OS X run on a 6400 (using XpostFacto etc.)?
  • Reply 15 of 21
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

I have a 400MHz G3 and 136MB of RAM: I wonder if it will run on my 6400? (Joke: I know that there's absolutely no way that Mac will run 10.3)

Will any versions of Mac OS X run on a 6400 (using XpostFacto etc.)?

check out http://www.zone6400.com/ -- i know some people have managed to get os x on their 6400s. should be able to get jaguar on w/a g3 upgrade, but without a g3, 10.2 won't install at all (though 10.1 will). This is all using XPostFacto, of course.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Rest assured. Panther will be veryyyyyyy fast for everyone. Noticeably faster.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    It seems that the Level 2 cache G3 upgrade for the PCI Performas isn't supported by 10.2/XPostfacto. 10.1 would still install (if I had it) but it probably wouldn't be worth it on a 180MHz 603e with no L2 cache.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    OS X getting faster? No wayyyy. Look at how slow 10.0 was. What's next, real-time window resizing in 10.4! When you start with low expectations it's easy to look good. Just look at Bush.

Not that I'm ragging on OS X, it's nice to be able to hold down and menu and have DVD Player keep playing.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

OS X getting faster? No wayyyy. Look at how slow 10.0 was. What's next, real-time window resizing in 10.4! When you start with low expectations it's easy to look good. Just look at Bush.

Not that I'm ragging on OS X, it's nice to be able to hold down and menu and have DVD Player keep playing.

You have the Panther beta?
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

<snip>

It was a simple question. Is Mac OS X getting faster? This carries a simple answer. Hell yeah!

No need to go bashing OS X.

Barto