I did it... I installed Panther...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
You guys may remember my thread a while back. And, yes, I installed Panther! Works great so far!

-Bio

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    Yeah, I just installed it today. It is wicked fast and wicked cool. I like it. I'm not sure if I would pay $130 for it though. Not too many new features I use. Expose kicks ass though.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    I think Panther is far more worthy of the price tag than Jaguar ever was.

Barto
  • Reply 3 of 45
    Expose has to be the most original thing I've seen in an OS in a long time... correct me if this has existed elsewhere.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    Mail makes a rocket sound when you send mail... I had the volume all of the way up and it scared the hell out of me!
  • Reply 5 of 45
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bioflavonoid

Expose has to be the most original thing I've seen in an OS in a long time... correct me if this has existed elsewhere.

The F9 and F10 functions of Exposé are things I haven't seen before, but the very useful freeware utility Show Desktop pretty much duplicates Exposé's F11 feature (except for the fact that it can't bring back hidden windows).
  • Reply 6 of 45
    evoevo Posts: 198member
    Quote:

Mail makes a rocket sound when you send mail... I had the volume all of the way up and it scared the hell out of me!

Is there a way to set what sent mail sound effect you want?
  • Reply 7 of 45
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    do you think after i buy the G5 they'll give me a discount t upgrade to panther or am i going to have to pay the full $129?

haha not bloody likely!
  • Reply 8 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by eVo

Is there a way to set what sent mail sound effect you want?

Yep, there is a place under preferences.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    Holy crap... first Panther freak out! :

My computer froze, not a KP, so I restarted. 5 seconds after I got the grey Apple logo, it gave me a KP. So, I restarted again... same thing. Again... again.... again... again... again... I thought I was screwed "WHY IN THE **** DID I INSTALL PANTHER?!"

Then I unplugged my iSight, Mouse, keyboard and everything from my TiBook and everything worked again... SCARY EXPERIENCE!

-Bio
  • Reply 10 of 45
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    yeah, my rev A imac has froze a few times like that... always restarted without a problem tho...
  • Reply 11 of 45
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Wait, you installed Panther as your only system

I'm sorry about your troubles, but if that's the way your system is set up,
  • Reply 12 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

Wait, you installed Panther as your only system

I'm sorry about your troubles, but if that's the way your system is set up,

• Reply 13 of 45
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    I've got a backup of Jaguar hidden away on a 2nd drive. Panther is my primary system now on my G4, and the only OS on my iPod.

The window server does crash very occasionally, but I've never had a kernel panic.

Barto
  • Reply 14 of 45
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Holy crap... first Panther freak out! :

My computer froze, not a KP, so I restarted. 5 seconds after I got the grey Apple logo, it gave me a KP. So, I restarted again... same thing. Again... again.... again... again... again... I thought I was screwed "WHY IN THE **** DID I INSTALL PANTHER?!"

Then I unplugged my iSight, Mouse, keyboard and everything from my TiBook and everything worked again... SCARY EXPERIENCE!

-Bio

I hereby reference my afore mentioned comments about never shipping a beta OS to end users... This is the kind of thing that happens and it is not a good thing!

Back up your critical data and continue to back it up until either you get the real version of panther or you reinstall 10.2.X. Make multiple backups.

I would reccommend going back to 10.2.X unless there is something in panther that you really need.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by rampancy

The F9 and F10 functions of Exposé are things I haven't seen before, but the very useful freeware utility Show Desktop pretty much duplicates Exposé's F11 feature (except for the fact that it can't bring back hidden windows).

I think Exposé is going to be one of those things where you don't realize just how powerful it is until it's become part of the workflow. For example, Steve demoed the Show Desktop feature from within Mail, grabbing a file off the desktop and then dropping it into a mail message as an attachment when the windows returned. That, right there, solves one of my most frequent gripes with the current OS X UI -- attaching files to emails currently requires one to deliberately position Mail and Finder windows in a certain arrangement (or use the file dialog -- but that's worse!) to make the transaction possible. So even this feature of Exposé is about much more than what might at first be apparent.

(Come to think of it, what I really need is a way to shuffle Mail out of the way without losing the current Finder view, which is usually where the file is that I want to attach. Hmm...)
  • Reply 16 of 45
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    by iconmaster

" I think Exposé is going to be one of those things where you don't realize just how powerful it is until it's become part of the workflow. For example, Steve demoed the Show Desktop feature from within Mail, grabbing a file off the desktop and then dropping it into a mail message as an attachment when the windows returned. "

I was very excited to see this.

These sneak peaks, demos and screen shots are killing me. Panther sounds much more refined to me and I hope it is released well before the end of the year.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    I am planing to wait until Panther is the default OS before buying my G5. I hope by then it will be a duel 2.4ghz... Christmas seems a long way away.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iconmaster

(Come to think of it, what I really need is a way to shuffle Mail out of the way without losing the current Finder view, which is usually where the file is that I want to attach. Hmm...)

I'm not sure this is what you mean, but do you want to move a window around in the background without bringing into focus? Just command click the title bar, and you can move it around without bringing it into the foreground. It's actually a feature from the OS 8 and 9 days, and a really powerful one at that. I use quite a bit.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Addison made me think of two G5 chips fighting (dueling) to the death inside his computer. Nooooo Addison you don't want them to kill each other!!!!
  • Reply 20 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

I'm not sure this is what you mean, but do you want to move a window around in the background without bringing into focus? Just command click the title bar, and you can move it around without bringing it into the foreground.

That would work, except Mail's viewer window is so huge that as soon as I switch to Mail to compose a message, I've lost even title bar access to all my Finder windows.

So what I need is a way to Exposé Mail out of the way, grab my file(s) from the Finder, then permit Mail back into view and drop the files. I suspect that may be beyond the current Exposé implementation.

Though, really, if Mail wouldn't insist on creating a separate new message for every file dropped on its dock icon, I wouldn't have any problem -- I could just drag a bunch of files onto the dock icon and have one message with multiple attachments. I wonder whether Panther Mail changes this, or affords a preference...?