Do USB 2.0 PCI Cards work in a Mac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'v always been considering to get a USB Hub, but never got around to it, but it just dawned on me that a USB PCI card may be a cleaner solution.

Would installing a USB 2.0 Generic PCI card work?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

I'v always been considering to get a USB Hub, but never got around to it, but it just dawned on me that a USB PCI card may be a cleaner solution.

Would installing a USB 2.0 Generic PCI card work?

USB 2.0 PCI cards are available for Mac's/Mac OS X. Here is one from Adaptec:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/pro...%2fUSB+for+Mac

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    $69

I was looking for less than $30
  • Reply 3 of 11
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    yeah i wanted USB 2.0 but couldn't find any for <$10 so i decided to get a G5

of course USB 2.0 is the only reason
  • Reply 4 of 11
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

USB 2.0 PCI cards are available for Mac's/Mac OS X. Here is one from Adaptec:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/pro...%2fUSB+for+Mac

Hope this helps.

I have one of these card in my G4 533, it works great, but .... only in USB 1,1 mode. USB 2 is not supported by mac os X. I think that the release of Panther will fix this. I don't think that smeagol will appear somewhere else than the first G5.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

$69

I was looking for less than $30

You are using the wrong platform if you want cheap. Pratically, everything for Mac's is more money.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    dmgeistdmgeist Posts: 153member
    Why do ppl think that high speed USB? is not supported In OSX.

Hello---->USB2 Supported OS's for Adaptec Cards

Huh huh whats the deal, does'nt anybody read. Even friging compusa sells them in the apple area, in the little white boxes. Nough said..doink!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    So USB2 cards are not generic? At least with some (or a lot?) of firewire cards, you could put a $5 PC one into a mac and it would work fine.

The USB2/Firewire combo card one of my Macs has came with generic USB2 drivers for OS X.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    USB cards are generic. OS X doesn't support USB 2, but you can get the Orange Micro drivers.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

USB cards are generic. OS X doesn't support USB 2, but you can get the Orange Micro drivers.

These don't always work. I've got Belkin card, but it only works at USB1 speeds on my beige G3. I've tried the Orange drivers and several others.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmgeist

Why do ppl think that high speed USB? is not supported In OSX.

Hello---->USB2 Supported OS's for Adaptec Cards

Huh huh whats the deal, does'nt anybody read. Even friging compusa sells them in the apple area, in the little white boxes. Nough said..doink!

Well USB 2 is supported except it works like usb 1,1, it's written in your link, and as i use one of the USB 2 adaptec card in my G4 533 under jaguar to connect 2 USB 2 device, i know my subject.

So the correct answer is , USB 2 PCI card works in Mac, are supported by mac OS X, but only work like USB 1,1.

Let's hope that Panther will fix this issue.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    russsrusss Posts: 115member
    never mind