Astral projection & evil spirits

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was wondering what your opinions on astral projection were. I don?t really have one (aside from standard cynicism.)

More importantly, I?d like to know what kind of empirical information there is the subject (if any.)

I went on a brief googling excursion last night, but all I could find were advocacy sites and/or how-tos. And of course, a handful of christian web sites condemning it; using the standard catch all for all things unexplained: the demonic.

If something happens that?s (allegedly) metaphysical, but doesn?t add up, or doesn?t match your doctrine, you can always say demons did it! Hell, they can be a blast to blame things on. Someone gets sick, demons did it! You stub your toe, demons did it!

I?ve even heard someone try to explain away the light travel time/age of the universe thing using ?the light from that star really didn?t really take millions of years to get here, demons just made it look that way.?

Forgive me for my lack of faith. It?s the demons' fault.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    I am interested too. I need to reboot, I'm having daemon problems.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DiscoCow

I was wondering what your opinions on astral projection were.

It's all Bunk.

Unless that Astral projector is Mac compatible .

iAstral. Let Apple spirit you away. 8)
  • Reply 3 of 16
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    So you guys have no knowledge of any empirical research on the subject? Although I doubt there's much experimenting you could do. Other than maybe doing a mri, or pet scan of a person that?s supposedly OoB, while a priest is standing in the room screaming ?The power of christ compels you! The power of christ compels you!?

I guess it all stems from my less than honest desire to completely negate anything that I find creepy (even though I have little doubt of it?s implausibility.) My grandmother claimed to have done it . Although I had little chance to converse with her on the subject, because she died a week before my birth.

But I?m told she was (at times) a very unpleasant person to be with. And above all: a kook.

Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

I am interested too. I need to reboot, I'm having daemon problems.

You know, I came this ? ? close to making a daemon joke in my original post.

I wonder where FSiB is? You?d think he?d be like a bee to my astral honey.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:

So you guys have no knowledge of any empirical research on the subject? ........

?The power of christ compels you! The power of christ compels you"

Oh you mean research via the " Exorcist " route

Yep, Heinz Pea & ham soup became the essential ingredient for all hollywood Shlock-horror B rate flicks.

Mind you, research has revealed another mystery though. Mainly how no-one can explain why it is that when you throw up after binge drinking the vomit ALWAYS contains bits of carrot..Now that's really really eerie DiscoCow
  • Reply 5 of 16
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

I wonder where FSiB is? You?d think he?d be like a bee to my astral honey.

Greetings! I have been away playing with new toys.

Love the new iSight with iChat AV

Other Photos Here!!!

Back to the honey you mention above. I really know very little about the subject. I think it is interesting however.

Fellows
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Knew you had to be out there somewhere.

Looks like a nice machine you got there.

re Astral projections...I really am just teasing DiscoCow, but Astral " projections " was all groovy back in the 70's

And then in it was Astral " travelling " in the 80's

Followed by Astral " auras " in the 90's

Can't wait for whatever comes next.

Maybe an explanation for Astral money.

Thats the type of money that always seems to be spirited away by " astral beings " who are vaguely related to us.

Ie our teenage children.

Other "astral beings" can read our mind..like the wife.

Or expect us to take them for a walk..Astral Rover..

All of them are joys to be with; after all if it wasn't for them we would never have witnessed the "astral" disappearance of our own hair, or the growing of our own astral pot bellies..
  • Reply 7 of 16
    boy_analogboy_analog Posts: 315member
    I don't know if this is strictly on topic, but I've seen research about remote viewing that claimed that it works better during certain hours. So there's some sort of empirical research on that topic.

More broadly, there's any number of parapsychological studies going on, though I don't know the names of any journals in the field. This is where your preferred search engine comes in handy.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I tried astral projection once...it was a pain in the ass.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

Greetings! I have been away playing with new toys.

Love the new iSight with iChat AV

Other Photos Here!!!

Back to the honey you mention above. I really know very little about the subject. I think it is interesting however.

Fellows

congrats for you new Ibook 14 inch. I was scared at the idea that you have buy a powerbook. It would be have terrible if you have changed your name for FellowshipChurchPowerbook or worse FellowshipChurchAluminiumpowerbook

I wish that you won't encounter any problems with your new baby.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    It's strange that you made this thread today. Yesterday me and some friends tested to enter in contact with spirits. After a couple of good belgium beers, and some drop of whisky we arrived to enter in connection with a spirit.

With the help of a tremendeous power of collective concentration we have the opportunitie to see the image of the spirit itself : it was grinning green face shouting loud : i vote we kill him.

I wonder if it was not the spirit of some members of these boards ...

Some people said to me, that you can enter in contact with such a mighty spirit only with the help of a great amount of alcohool.

This was the scariest experience of my life.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Empiric research is hard to come by, not least because of the noise introduced by frauds and "researchers" who cook their data to match their claims, or who perform sloppy work. But there is some good work amid all that. I'll have to go spelunking to find it, but I remember odd tests like a computer generating a random sequence in a black box, a test subject trying to will the results in a certain direction, and the results being in fact skewed in that direction when the box was open, vs. a control where the machine just generated the numbers with no influence.

The placebo effect, and the critical relation of a patient's outlook to their chances of recovery, point to a significant and untapped reservoir of power within us. Whether it's an as yet undiscovered sort of power, or an as yet undiscovered ability to marshal the sorts of capabilities we already know about (not that we know all that much), or some combination of both, is interesting fodder for research.

I have no trouble believing that there is considerably more to reality than we know, having experienced and witnessed a few myself and heard first-hand stories about various oddnesses from people I have no reason to doubt. My brother, when he was in kindergarten, surprised us all by giving us a grand tour of a vacation house in France we'd been invited to stay in that we had never been to before, in a part of France we'd never been in before. He unhesitatingly found the door in the ceiling at the end of a hall on the second floor that led up to the kids' bunks, and he knew how to open it and how to get the rope ladder down. When asked, he said he'd seen the house before. That night I somehow climbed down from the top bunk, opened that hatch, and climbed down the ladder in my sleep. I woke up when my father found me staring into the open refrigerator in the kitchen on the ground floor. I'd walked into the room my parents were sleeping in to announce something, and he'd followed me downstairs. It's the only time in my life that I've ever walked in my sleep.

And then there are stories like this one [warning: this is not for the faint of heart]. For those who are unwilling to read a blunt description of a rape, I'll quote the relevant passages here:

Quote:

Twice before he finally left, he pretended to leave. By then, hours had passed and I had acquired another sense. Although I was blindfolded, I could "see" everything clearly. I could see around corners. I could see my entire apartment as if it were a hologram I could walk around. I had no attachment at all to my body, although I wanted only one thing: to preserve it. It seemed this was something my body wanted and I had become nothing but body. Whatever part of me was "watching" did not feel alive because it no longer seemed to possess a body. When he pretended to leave, I didn't move because I knew he was hiding in the small pantry off the kitchen. I could "see" him standing there. I knew he was playing cat to my mouse.

[...]

I waited, gathering strength, "watching" him tiptoe across the kitchen and hover at the door to the bedroom. He seemed to hesitate. Then he sprang onto the bed and began slapping the top of my head, as if he were putting out a raging fire. And then, for reasons I shall never know, he ran to the back door, unlocked it, and disappeared into the sunlight.

• Reply 12 of 16
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

It's strange that you made this thread today. Yesterday me and some friends tested to enter in contact with spirits. After a couple of good belgium beers, and some drop of whisky we arrived to enter in connection with a spirit.

With the help of a tremendeous power of collective concentration we have the opportunitie to see the image of the spirit itself : it was grinning green face shouting loud : i vote we kill him.

That's funny, I had the most amazing dream last night. It was so vivid, like being reborn... I could feel my heart beating... *boom*... *boom*... *boom*... then I was visited by these 3 drunk ghosts with accents. heh heh

• Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

That's funny, I had the most amazing dream last night. It was so vivid, like being reborn... I could feel my heart beating... *boom*... *boom*... *boom*... then I was visited by these 3 drunk ghosts with accents. heh heh

oops, i knew that i used to know this powerful spirit
  • Reply 14 of 16
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

I have no trouble believing that there is considerably more to reality than we know, having experienced and witnessed a few myself and heard first-hand stories about various oddnesses from people I have no reason to doubt.

I have no reason to doubt either. In fact, I must admit I have a very similar outlook. It can be quite difficult to disprove the infinite; as it can always hide away in dark corners where you can?t see it. In order to disprove it, you must assume infinite knowledge. A catch 22 if ever I saw one.

But all this ?fly the friendly astral skies? business bothers me. It seems to me that the metaphysical becomes way to accessible. For the proponents at least. First had experience proves that it is in fact, a pain in the ass (at least without the help of the proper narcotics.)
  • Reply 15 of 16
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

congrats for you new Ibook 14 inch. I was scared at the idea that you have buy a powerbook. It would be have terrible if you have changed your name for FellowshipChurchPowerbook or worse FellowshipChurchAluminiumpowerbook

I wish that you won't encounter any problems with your new baby.

Same baby Powerdoc Just has Sight now

iSight! hehehehe and I love it...

Do you have iChat AV Powerdoc?

Fellows
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

Same baby Powerdoc Just has Sight now

iSight! hehehehe and I love it...

Do you have iChat AV Powerdoc?

Fellows