Rush Limbaugh praises Apple/G5 on radio show, criticizes politics

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

I bet an Apple commercial with Gore and Limbaugh in it would be one heck of an attention getter.

Ooh I love it. I wonder if either of them would do it though.
  • Reply 42 of 75
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

I bet an Apple commercial with Gore and Limbaugh in it would be one heck of an attention getter.

In fact, I think a commercial like this would be ideal to show during the superbowl. Since it wouldn?t have to rely on any heavy special effects, it wouldn?t cost too much to make. All it needs to do is to create a lot of humor with the differences these two men have with each other?s politics and/or feelings towards each other while showing the Mac?s features in some way.

I agree completely!

The line at the end of the advert could be something like....

"We can't agree on much but we do agree the Apple kicks ass over the competition. Then they could revert to some political arguing hahahaha

all in a light hearted way!

That would be cool!
  • Reply 43 of 75
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    You know what? THAT is a good, clever idea! Great thinking.

The potential for humor is there. Gore seemed pretty funny and loose during the keynote. Rush is a funny, "at ease in the spotlight" kinda guy.

The two of them together, united only by their love and devotion to this particular platform could be a very attention-getting, clever commercial, if done right.

"We might not agree on many things..."

"That would be 'nothing', Al..."

"But we REALLY are [insert gushing Apple praise here, with video and clips of them taking pics of each other or video, Rush bopping his head while listening to an iPod and Al doing a variation on that "wooden man" dance he did at the convention years ago. Just quick little cuts of the two of them, messing around.

I see it! It SINGS, baby!

Greenlight it...

• Reply 44 of 75
    Got it!!!!!

at the very very end could be some "out takes"

Both Gore and Limbaugh are trying to master saying "kicks ass"

I would love that.... all the while giving the other a hard time

Gore: "No not like that" "Be forceful"

Limbaugh: "What do you know about being forceful"

Then you see them both in concert saying

"the new G5,,,, It KICKS ASS"

Fellows
  • Reply 45 of 75
    Once again, the faithful here at AI hand Apple ANOTHER great idea...

Would they ever use something remotely as cool and clever and attention-getting? Of course not.

Okay, back to doing laundry and cleaning the tub...

• Reply 46 of 75
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

In all fairness, I first read about the idea of a commercial between these two guys here.
  • Reply 47 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

The potential for humor is there. Gore seemed pretty funny and loose during the keynote. Rush is a funny, "at ease in the spotlight" kinda guy.

The two of them together, united only by their love and devotion to this particular platform could be a very attention-getting, clever commercial, if done right.

"We might not agree on many things..."

"That would be 'nothing', Al..."

"But we REALLY are [insert gushing Apple praise here, with video and clips of them taking pics of each other or video, Rush bopping his head while listening to an iPod and Al doing a variation on that "wooden man" dance he did at the convention years ago. Just quick little cuts of the two of them, messing around.

I see it! It SINGS, baby!

Greenlight it...

hahahaha

imagine this idea... :

the commercial starts out with Gore and Limbaugh (each in their own respective home offices) in the middle of an iChatAV video conference where by they are discussing..... Gore " So Apple wants ((( You ))) and ((me)) to do a commercial for them???

Limbaugh " No kidding... what are they thinking?

Gore and Limbaugh... "Lets Do it!"

Next scene.... Fill in the blank with ideas from above

I think Apple needs an email about our ideas

fellows
  • Reply 48 of 75
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    They could have one of those headphone splitters and do one of those iPod commercials together.

Maybe 'Ebony and Ivory.' Nah better yet 'I got you babe.'
  • Reply 49 of 75
    The possibilities are ENDLESS. Will make "Middle Seat", Jeff Goldblum and the Switcher dweebs seem like the waste of film they were.

• Reply 50 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by jccbin

BTW this is the south, even the liberals are conservative here.

Funny in Massachusetts even the conservative republicans seem liberal here.
  • Reply 51 of 75
    That commercial really would be a great idea. I bet Rush would do it, too. I don't know about Gore, though. Could you imagine the publicity this would get? The late night talk shows and the cable news shows would talk about it endlessly.

Now even better would be if they could get Rush on their board of directors...now that would be interesting...
  • Reply 52 of 75
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    This ad would be perfect to show off the iSight.

Gore and Limbaugh could be shown argueing with each other over the internet over a funny/stupid policy issue, Really going at it (as if they are right in front of each other) even though they are thousands of miles apart.

The ad would create a laugh and point out the good things of iChat AV : full screen video, quality audio, simple to use.

Multiple ads could feature different products. like BRussell's idea but have the two argueing over which song to listen to. Limbaugh country / Gore rock.
  • Reply 53 of 75
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    That would be the marketing coup of the decade and if it premiered during the Super Bowl?!?!!?.....The one day the NASCAR and progressive crowd both watch the same TV show!!!

They would have dozens of commercials just with the out-takes. Gore singing Snoop Dog and Rush singing "Send in the Clowns."

As for politics and Jobs, I'm sure it would be difficult for him to put Rush on the board, but even to my liberal sensibilities, it would be a good choice. You'd think if Steve could put Bill Gates on the big screen at MacWorld, he could expand the scope of the board or at least use Rush in commercials.

I only listen to Rush on my radio alarm clock when I need to get up quickly...46 seconds into any of his rants and I hear enough mistaken facts that I bounce out of bed, blood pumping.
  • Reply 54 of 75
    Cute...

But seriously, the whole vibe of this idea is...well, genius.

As mentioned, you'd appeal to BOTH hugely different groups. Dems and Gore fans and the like would dig it and there's no doubt that Rush has a slight following.

People from both camps, seeing one of their heroes or figureheads in a prominent position and promoting something like Macs would say a mouthful!

It would only help Apple and, honestly, help and bolster the image of both men. People would see that Gore is funny and loose and not above being playful and those on the other side would see that Rush isn't some firebreathing, mean dragon.

Everyone wins, Apple gets attention, both sides have their guy to watch, Macs get sold, Gore gets propelled into a position of higher, hipper stature, Rush's ratings go up, we bask in the glory of a job well done, etc.

And yes...a SERIES. Not just one commercial, shoot their wad and that's it. You do like Vanessa Williams and Ving Rhames...an ongoing series, with new ones every couple of months. Most bang for the buck, that way.

You could have a music-focused one, using ideas talked about above.

One touting iChat A/V (potential for humor VERY high on this one...have the entire commercial shot from the viewpoint of looking at someone's iChat A/V window. Then you have Al and Rush both with their faces pressed in, jockeying for face time in the iSight frame/field of vision "you're stepping on my foot!", "scoot over, you're hogging the camera!", etc.)

Panther could get its own commercial/promo. Beats seeing office monkeys flying over their cubicles...ahem...

You could have one where they're sitting in chairs beside each other, debating "style vs. substance" or something like that, then at the end they go "how about both?" or something to that effect, and show the G5 or the new iBooks or whatever the product happens to be.

Digital video, AirPort, etc. Could all get a 30-second AlRush treatment, each spot written to play up the differences in the two men, but also giving notice to their shared love for Apple and the Mac.

SO many possibilities. And yeah, SuperBowl time would be a no brainer!

But also during primetime, political shows on CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, run them during presidential debates or other politically-oriented program, especially as the 2004 presidential campaign revs up, etc.

Apple could do more with those two guys in an ongoing quirky series than ANYTHING they've put out, commercial-wise, in years!

And not to mention: a print campaign as well! Big double-spreads in Time, Newsweek, Entertainment Weekly, Rolling Stone, WSJ, USA Today, NY Times, Washington Post, etc.

A nice print ad: bring back the "what's on my PowerBook" ad from years ago, showing both men standing beside each other, holding their PowerBooks. Text beside each man could list the things on there, some serious (book outline, speech drafts, etc.), but some funny and played for laughs (golf swing tips, Florida vacation guide, William F. Buckley's home address, PDF of newest dance steps, etc.).

Ooh, I just thought of one: perhaps on a commercial touting Safari and/or Mail (or even .Mac?), they could be going back and forth about the whole "invented the Internet..." thing, with Rush going "I can't believe you said that"

"Well, Rush...I never really did. You see..."

"Did you invent Safari too?"

"No, but I played an important role in th..."

Have Rush just looking deadpan into the camera, in an "I can't believe this guy..." look, as Al talks on.

• Reply 55 of 75
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    You could also have near the end of the commercial Rush highlighting a few last points about Apple computers and then have the commercial close with Gore saying "You know Rush, I'd NEVER thought I'd say this but Mega Dittos!"
  • Reply 56 of 75
    Good one!

See? SEE?!?!

They almost write themselves...
  • Reply 57 of 75
    Ahhh the more I read over this thread the more I have the feeling Apple could double their marketshare in the US within 4 months of airing such ads.

The ideas mentioned in this thread would create a new discussion over apple at just the time apple is making huge strides! Combine the genious of the marketing with the timing of wonderful new apple offerings and it could truly mean an expanded marketshare for Apple in the near future!

Cool stuff!

Fellowship
  • Reply 58 of 75
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    How can this NOT happen?!?!?!?!?

I mean...

How can this NOT happen?!?!?!?!?

I don't mean to go off topic, because this is a rich one in and of itself, but this sets up so many other pro-Mac people that show opposite ends of many spectra 'A la mini-me and Yao Ming....in sports (Shaq and ?), music (Yo Yo Ma and Billy Idol?), movies (Eisner and everyone else?), etc.

The idea is as Rush said (god, I actually used that phrase....aaaahhhaahah....) "this should be more mainstream." Mainstream can be the Switcher ads of "normal" folks as we've seen. But in America today, mainstream is seen in the juxtaposition of opposing famous people.
  • Reply 59 of 75
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    politics and computing platform seem to be pretty independent. michael moore uses Windows (i asked him about the M$ monopoly he said, "What can you do?" in the nonchalant kind of way, not the actually curious way). Rush uses Mac, as does bush and my neighbor, a strong right-winger. Doesn't really matter, i don't think.

education level and computing platform seem to be a little more related, as educated people tend to use macs. there is some stat proving this, but i'm too lazy to dig it up. if anyone has a link, please post it.
  • Reply 60 of 75
    cbothcboth Posts: 16member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DanMacMan

Actually, when I found out Rush liked Macs back when Apple announced algore to the board, my heart was content in knowing that I am not the only member of the vast right-wing conspiracy to own a Mac.

Here, here - I'll second that.