What bout those video iPods... /other devices

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I thought we were going to see new DLD's from apple... but rumors have died out 'bout that ... still does any of you guys know something 'bout them? Are we going to see a video-ipod thingie soon ? or something else ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    haha, you read too much AI.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    S.J. recently was quoted as saying, "no video iPod, no tablet and no iPhone". All of these mentioned on various rumor sites.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

S.J. recently was quoted as saying, "no video iPod, no tablet and no iPhone". All of these mentioned on various rumor sites.

Do you have a link to the no video iPod quote? I am skeptical about Apple making one, but if you listen to the QTime State of the Union address, it sure sounds like they are setting up QTime to be THE mobile, palm-sized media player of choice.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/stateoftheunion03/

So if Apple isn't going to make one, they are setting up someone else to make alot of money!!!! I wish I was in the business.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    The next DLD Device will tie into iTMS. Apple needs a capable and powerful Media Server for the home.

The Pixlet Codec is interesting. Apple hasn't really explained what exactly they hope to offer with Pixlet.

I doubt we'll see Video on the iPod.

I doubt we'll see a table anytime soon.

No Apple phones either. They'd be best to keep robust support

in iSync and good Bluetooth support.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    "about"

is it really that much more difficult to type an "a" instead of '?
  • Reply 6 of 21
    macvaultmacvault Posts: 323member
    Steve Jobs said there would not be an iPod that played video on it's built-in screen, but he did say he was very interested in an iPod-type devide that would play video out to a TV, which I think would be WAYYYY COOOL!!! Bring it on Apple!!!
  • Reply 7 of 21
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    you need a device, capable of downloading pix/audio/video from your camera? play back these material in good quality on a good screen? handle it with iLife?

buy an iBook.-
  • Reply 8 of 21
    No I just want something like this but made by apple ... HD coupled to LCD ... not quite a PDA just personal entertainment device
  • Reply 9 of 21
    bandalaybandalay Posts: 116member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I doubt we'll see a table anytime soon.

Clearly out of the question, though sources are telling me we may see a stool or loveseat in Q1 04. A mockup (seen here ) of a chair turned out to be a fake.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    I don't think the mp4 media player will be an iPod. It will be something else, but why wouldn't Apple build it?

I have yet to hear a convincing reason or a real quote by Steve Jobs about a hand-held mp4 media player. He has only referred to not making phones, pda's and add video to the iPod as it currently exists.

I originally thought the next "Newton" should be the size of a paperback book - for size and convenience, but now I'm thinking about the size of a cd case. If you hold a cd case in your hand you can put a wide-screen aspect ratio on it and have enough room at the bottom for an iPod-like jog dial and buttons. It would also be a size (like paperbacks) that people are used to dealing with.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    There was a WSJ symposium where S.J. spoke about a month ago concerning these matters. After a site posted his comments they were asked to remove them by Apple. Prior to that his comments were published on other sites. At the moment I can't find them.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    k_munic: you suggest buying an iBook. Well, I have an iBook, and a Powerbook, but #1) I can't fit them into my pocket, and #2) they are too delicate to just take wherever. What I want is a handheld personal video/media player that plays out to a TV or other external displays. It would be soo cool! Archos makes the AV300 series, but Apple's quality of products is way better!
  • Reply 13 of 21
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    then maybe the archos is for you. (or maybe a protable dvd player) honestly, other than college kids or people with too much time on their hands, i can't see this being the seller some people think it will be and that apple _requires it to be to remain profitable.

you can do other stuff when listening to music. do we really need another device to allow people to watch TV (the majority of which is crap at the most and of questionable value at the least to many IMO)
  • Reply 14 of 21
    keyboardf12 wrote: "...device to allow people to watch TV (the majority of which is crap at the most and of questionable value at the least to many IMO)"

Yes, I agree "TV" nowdays is soooo much crap. I don't watch "TV". I watch home-videos, picture slideshows and good, well-done movies such as a lot of the ones Apple has trailers for on their Quicktime website, and that's the kind of stuff I'd like to play to a TV from a handheld device. I never said I want to watch "TV" as in the network-TV-commercial-laden-garbage out there.

So sure, maybe I have to settle for the Archos if I want to play good movies from a handheld device, but I think Apple could easily make something similar but higher quality and perhaps incorporate this into the iPod and the "Digital Hub".
  • Reply 15 of 21
    aphelionaphelion Posts: 736member
    I'm not sure if this is on topic or not, but while it is true that 90% of TV is junk, there is a 10% that is good, and maybe 5% that is excellent.

TiVo lets you watch the 10% at your pleasure and this is the "missing spoke" of the "digital hub". Apple needs TiVo capabilities or it will never be a true digital hub. This is the blind spot in Steve jobs vision and it needs to be addressed,

Third parties may provide this but it will never be as good as an Apple solution. Steve needs to take a sabbatical or something to let Apple provide this missing link.

Aphelion ...
  • Reply 16 of 21
    craiger77craiger77 Posts: 133member
    This is the kind of device I wish Apple would make. It would basically be a photo iPod that could synch with iPhoto the way the iPod syncs with iTunes. Just needs a bigger screen with Apple's design and it could be great.

And no, I don't want to carry my iBook around for this purpose. I travel months, even years at a time with nothing but a backpack to remote places all over the world. It is a hassle enough worrying about my camera gear being broken or stolen. Even with film I would take thousands of photos on a trip, now with digital I find I am way out of control. Even just bumming around here in the states I can take a couple hundred photos in a day.

With this kind of device photos can be gone over every night and junk deleted and I wouldn't have to bring along all those compact flash cards. The photos can organized even before you get home. You can show slide shows or review your photos on ANY TV with an RCA jack. So many times I have wanted to show photos to friends I visit along the way.

Of course it would include iPods music playing abilities so I wouldn't have to lug around a bunch of cds either.

This Nixvue thing looks like a good start, but really Apple could make something like this much better that would do for photos that the iPod has done for music. While the market would be smaller than for the iPod, I still think with the explosion of digital photography it would be significant enough for Apple to make money.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    Quote:

, but I think Apple could easily make something similar but higher quality and perhaps incorporate this into the iPod and the "Digital Hub".

I agree with you. what we don't know for sure is if they could make money off of it.

I also agree. Get a Tivo. It will change your TV watching lives as it filters out the crap-ola.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    I am still convinced that "iPod 2" will have a color screen and synch with iPhoto (as well as iCal, address book, iTunes, etc.)

It WILL be your PDA, and it will support iPhoto.

Video is another question. Clearly the screen is too small to be practical. Though it is big enough to show off snap shots of the kids.

Storage is another issue. iPod storage is starting to get ridiculously large for just music.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    I think seemless AV is the future set of killer apps for Apple. The new iChat AV is the beginning and portable mp4 viewing would be the next step. For a digital hub to work, you have to be able to take content away from the computer.

Mp3's were nice when they sat on the desktop, but they are GREAT when you can carry them with you. The same with mp4's. They are a good standard for the web, but they will really shine when you can take them anywhere. Once both of those are on board in portable devices, all you need to do is wait for wireless bandwidth to catch up and Apple could "own" the wifi internet market. I think that is worth Steve expanding his vision a bit.

I'm sure he doesn't need any advice from us, since I am assuming they have devices like this already in a basement in Cupertino.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    I wish Apple would release a harddrive only iPod...no extra software...no extra hardware just a really small firewire powered external drive I could clip to my powerbook for more storage. I HATE having to plug in my external firewire drive!