Who thinks Safari 1.0 is NOT the fastest browser "onnamac"?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I still keep Mozilla as my main browser. Currently at 1.4RC3 it has proven to be rock-solid and (apart from startup time) way faster than Safari! It loads just everything faster and it renders more accurately. It sometimes beat Safari by factor 3! Especially over HTTPS and with complicated sites such as the Apple store!

Of course I use a little tuning user.js (needs to reside in the same profile directory as prefs.js):

Code:

user_pref("network.http.max-connections", 32);

user_pref("network.http.max-connections-per-server", 16);

user_pref("network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-proxy", 8);

user_pref("network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server", 8);

user_pref("browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl", true);

user_pref("nglayout.initialpaint.delay", 0);

N. B. if you are paranoid just leave out the "disk cache ssl" thing ...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    All your Safaris are belong to Camino 1.0 is year next.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Mozilla rules them all. I have constantly promoted Mozilla on there boards. It is a seriously kick butt browser. It flies on both PC and Mac and I find it nicer and faster than Safari.

Nick
  • Reply 3 of 30
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Mozilla rules them all. I have constantly promoted Mozilla on there boards. It is a seriously kick butt browser. It flies on both PC and Mac and I find it nicer and faster than Safari.

Nick

I had never tried Mozilla untill I read your post. After using it I must say it is a freaking screamer. Doesn't have the clean feeling that Safari has, but still a great browser!
  • Reply 4 of 30
    bnoyhtuawbbnoyhtuawb Posts: 456member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SurfRat

I had never tried Mozilla untill I read your post. After using it I must say it is a freaking screamer. Doesn't have the clean feeling that Safari has, but still a great browser!

If you have a really (REALLY!) fast connection, you may want to beef up the connection parameters still a bit (say just double them) ... and Mozilla will just fly more ... on my humble iBook though, the CPU will then be the bottleneck!
  • Reply 5 of 30
    bnoyhtuawbbnoyhtuawb Posts: 456member
    Quote:

[...] Doesn't have the clean feeling that Safari has, but still a great browser!

If you like clean looks just install the Orbit 3+1 theme from here http://themes.mozdev.org/themes/orbit.html and then put a userChrome.css file into you profile's "chrome" directory (after installing the theme, you will find it easily) with the following content:

Code:

@import url("chrome://communicator/skin/subskin/smallest_icons.1.css");

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul";);

And you'll end up with a clean interface that rivals even Safari! The same as shown below, just with UI elements that take less space (about the size of Safaris toolbar "knobs")!

• Reply 6 of 30
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Zilla 1.4 is going to be an extremely nice browser though the memory footprint is still pretty big. Either way though, it is "teh snappy?", has excellent standards support and most of the nasty bugs have been crushed at this point. Just use the minimalist Pinstripe theme (no coding requird AFAIK -- Orbit is too busy for my eyes) and you're all set.

And 1.4 has a MUCH nicer set of icons now. The Ugly M is dead...mostly. Much better bookmark management nowadays too.

• Reply 7 of 30
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Moz screams bloat, it's just not a good piece of software. It's like the Office of browsers. Firebird and the other Phoenix offspring have the right idea of divying up tasks. Firebird is the fastest browser I have used and is my backup. When using PeopleSoft it doesn't refresh the whole DAMN PAGE just the portion that updates. But obey Aqua, this stupid grey stuff is stupid! That goes double for you Apple. METAL SUCKS!
  • Reply 8 of 30
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Panther seems to have broken Mozilla for me .. no pages load ... but Hell, Safari is just sssSSSSSCCCRRREEEAAAMMMmmmmmiiinn!

After another 6 months, nothing can ever come close to Safari on the Mac, Apple has too much of an advantage.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:

I would suggest going here.

Pinstripe Theme

You would be amazed how clean Mozilla can look. This will be even more so with Camino and Firebird.

Nick
  • Reply 10 of 30
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Mozilla smokes Safari...and so does Camino, if you get a nightly build and tune it.

Safari on Panther is another story.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    msn, loads faster, and i have less problems with sites...this mac culture of trashing microsoft is stupid. yeah nice to have a culture, but the result of myopic vision is a wall of bladness hurtling towards zap. I'ts all over.

hey I love my mac as a product, but when the marketing folks turn and twist the facts ...gotta be jadded
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

If you have a really (REALLY!) fast connection, you may want to beef up the connection parameters still a bit (say just double them) ... and Mozilla will just fly more ... on my humble iBook though, the CPU will then be the bottleneck!

I don't have a REALLY fast connection, but it is decent (1.5Mb) so I would like to try this connection parameters adjustment. However, I couldn't find where to make these adjustments. Could you direct me as to where I should look? I also downloaded the pinstripe theme as was suggested earlier. This definitely makes a vast improvement over the original skin. Thanks!
  • Reply 13 of 30
    david101david101 Posts: 73member
    forgive my ignorance, but is mozilla freeware/shareware or will i need to buy it to try it?
  • Reply 14 of 30
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Surfrat, Open the terminal.app, navigate to where you keep Mozilla's preferences, ie:

cd Library/Mozilla/Profiles/default/<random characters, just hit 'Tab'>.slt/

pico user.js

now copy BNOYHTUAWB's code above, and paste it into the terminal.

Hit Control-o (that's 'oh', not zero) to save. type Control-x to exit.

Quit terminal.app. Quit Mozilla.

Start Mozilla, and peep how much faster than safari it is.

Yeah, I've been pimpin' Mozilla since before 0.7 (or was it Milestone 6?), back when it was buggy and slow. I saw the potential. I've used numerous derivative works (Galeon, Chimera/Camino, Firebird, Epiphany, etc), all of which rule. I'd like to see JUST the browser being distributed, though, as I do not use Mail, Composer, IRC(?!), etc.

BNOYHTUAWB's suggestion takes a rad browser and makes it even radder. BTW, be sure to enable pipelining under 'Advanced' in Moz's preferences.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    BTW, I'm using nightly builds, and I can't get themes to work. Pinstripe looks nice, wish I could use it.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    While Safari 1.0 runs much faster than the the previous (Beta) builds I had tried, I have also preferred Camino 0.7

It has always been faster than Safari on my machine. I have not tried a recent version of Mozilla (The last time I tried it out was around September 2002). Compared to Camino, is the latest version of Mozilla any faster or are they the same?
  • Reply 17 of 30
    What's amazing is that with pinstripe, Mozilla looks more like a regular Mac app than Safari with the confusing metal appearance. I know you can aqua-ize Safari, but since it is new and gets relatively regular build updates, it gets annoying to do it EVERYTIME you download a new build.

Other small points... Safari has little close buttons on each tab..... hello...Apple-W on both Safari and Mozilla... who the hell moves their mouse to close a tab?!?!

Finally the absolute best feature of Mozilla, (IMNSHO) is the fact that the search feature is integrated into the url bar. I just type apple-l, type any keywords I want and hit the down arrow once to go search through google. You can set new tabs to load in the background as well. However often when I want to go off and do a quick search, I will just type apple-t (new tab), apple-L (keyword search or load URL) and then just down arrow once and my search to google is done. Very fast..

Nick
  • Reply 18 of 30
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kollective2002

this mac culture of trashing microsoft is stupid.

Easy there, little buddy ..... *no one here is trashing Microsoft. I have no idea how you can concoct such a silly notion as that.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Thanks Nick.

What I never got is what is the difference between Netscape and Mozilla? Now the new versions both use 1.4. Which is better? I don't want any AOLTimeWarnerWatchDawson'sCreekTonightAt6 or other integration, that's why I like Firebird. I think I'll just grab Firebird again when it gets to 1.4 and put Pinstripe on it. I think that's the best backup browser, and then IE. Safari is #1!
  • Reply 20 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

Surfrat, Open the terminal.app, navigate to where you keep Mozilla's preferences, ie:

cd Library/Mozilla/Profiles/default/<random characters, just hit 'Tab'>.slt/

pico user.js

now copy BNOYHTUAWB's code above, and paste it into the terminal.

Hit Control-o (that's 'oh', not zero) to save. type Control-x to exit.

Quit terminal.app. Quit Mozilla.

Start Mozilla, and peep how much faster than safari it is.

WOW! This browser hauls! Thanks for all the tips!!!