"Hamas agrees to Mideast cease-fire" Can this be?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Quote:

COMMENTS TO REUTERS by Hamas founder Sheikh Ahmed Yassin appeared to confirm the militant group?s acceptance of the truce.

_ _ _ _?Hamas has studied all the developments and has reached a decision to call a truce, or a suspension of fighting activities,? Yassin said.

I would be so very glad if this were a sign of prospects of peace ahead. What I have to ask is might this not be a withdrawl of activities by Hamas because of recent pressure implied against Hammas by world leaders? Does Hamas see the writing on the wall now?

I would hope all sides in this conflict can articulate and sort out their views and issues. Peace is due to the future of all in the region. A new day is needed. The jury is still out but we can hope for peace.

What are your thoughts of this?

quote from this

source

Fellowship

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    rashumonrashumon Posts: 453member
    Hi Fellowship

I don't think its pressure implied against Hamas by international figures that has brought this about I think its direct military pressure from the IDF that has forced Hamas to the position of requiring a ceasefire in order to regroup and rearrange their structure for the next phase of the fighting they plan...

Not that i think this is a bad development - as you say the jury is still out - but I am very pessimistic about anything to do with Hamas.

The thing that really drives me nuts is that people are all too happy to accept actions and opinions from the palestinians which they would never ever have accepted from Israel - Just think of the mess that would have taken place had the Jews been sending suicide bombers on daily murder missions into Gaza and Jenin in order to kill as many Palestinian civilians as possible... also, think of this simple question: Israel has the military power to end this conflict tomorrow - the only reason for it not to take that course of action is that its committed to a moral code that prevents it form doing to the Arabs what the Arabs would be all too willing to do to it! so the question is:

Does anyone out there doubt that had the positions in this conflict been reversed and Palestinians been capable of Israel's current military power while the Jews would have been as defenseless as the Palestinians are today, not a single Jew would have been left alive in Palestine?

A simple comparison really...

The Jews have never hoped to see the elimination or destruction of the Palestinians - only their recognition in the Jews' rights and existence and respect for their security. Palestinians (and Arabs in general) however continuously demand Israel's removal and extinction from its land (and the world tolerates that demand even if it does not encourage it). how can peace ever be achieved before Palestinians change their basic concept of this conflict?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Maybe I'll stay out of this one.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by rashumon

Hi Fellowship

I don't think its pressure implied against Hamas by international figures that has brought this about I think its direct military pressure from the IDF th

[snip]

and extinction from its land (and the world tolerates that demand even if it does not encourage it). how can peace ever be achieved before Palestinians change their basic concept of this conflict?

Well, yes, but another way of looking at situation in reverse is this: Jewish people were removed from their land for the expedient founding of an Arab Muslim state. (You can see where this is going.) Arabs kill Jewish civillians in their attempts to kill Jewish terrorists.

Etc.

You get it.

No-one would have let it happen after the Second World War. Sympathy was with Jewish people. It still would be: that this sympathy has evaporated is because of the actions of the state of Israel rather than international anti-semitism (not that the behaviour of certain disenfranchised Palestinians could be described as exemplary, of course.)

Now we can have that argument comparing Israel's brutality and racism with Palestinian war crimes and anti-semitism again. Scott can say it's all the Palestinians' fault, Rashumon can argue reasonably fairly, Immanuel Goldstein can say something that no-one really understands but is impeccably sourced albeit subtly pro-Zionist and I can take the piss out of Mika... oh.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Scott can say it's all the Palestinians' fault, Rashumon can argue reasonably fairly, Immanuel Goldstein can say something that no-one really understands but is impeccably sourced albeit subtly pro-Zionist and I can take the piss out of Mika... oh.

• Reply 5 of 16
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Threatened Hamas ceasefire?

About time for a helicopter missile attack against Hamas officials that accidentally kills the odd child!

(which will be answered by a sickening Hamas murder of defenceless civillians)
  • Reply 6 of 16
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

• Reply 7 of 16
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

....... after the Second World War. Sympathy was with Jewish people. It still would be: that this sympathy has evaporated is because of the actions of the state of Israel rather than international anti-semitism (not that the behaviour of certain disenfranchised Palestinians could be described as exemplary, of course.)

OK...

First,

Someone kidnaps the real Fellowship having an imposter posting in his place, and as if that isn't bad enough now Hassan has undergone the same treatment.

Kidnapping of Ai Members should not be tolerated...
  • Reply 8 of 16
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

I...I...well if you will, I will too.

(I feel like the Hulk as the internal pressure to respond builds....)
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Oh well.... talking is nice... but hey who said talking really meant anything - looks like despite Hamas and IJ flowery announcements of ceasefire - these guys are still busy trying to murder innocent Isareli civilians by the coffeshop load

Forces thwarted attacks militants planned in Haifa, Petah Tikva

By Amos Harel, Haaretz Correspondent

Security forces thwarted terror attacks planned for Haifa and Petah Tikva this week after locating militants in Baka al-Garbiyeh and Kafr Qasem, it was released for publication on Saturday.

Two Palestinians killed by security forces near the Israeli-Arab town of Baka al-Garbiyeh on Thursday were en route to carry out a double suicide bombing in Haifa. The two were members of the Islamic Jihad's Jenin branch. One of the men was carrying a suitcase full of explosives, which contained a seven-kilogram bomb. Two individuals arrested in the village of Yahum for aiding the militants are also members of Islamic Jihad. Their assignment was to transport the suicide bombers into Israeli territory.

A terror attack militants planned to carry out in Petah Tikva was thwarted following their arrest Wednesday in Kafr Qasem. The attack was planned by a Tanzim cell from Nablus. The suicide bomber and the man transporting him were apprehended in possession of a powerful bomb comprised of standard explosives, on their way to the Petah Tikva city market. After their arrest, the would-be suicide bomber's cousin was arrested, on the suspicion that he had been recruited to take part in the attack.

The IDF and Shin Bet are continuing their search for wanted Tanzim militant Naaf Abu Sharah, 37, from Nablus, who is considered the head of the Al Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades in the city.

A senior security source told Haaretz on Saturday that if the attacks planned for Petah Tikva and Haifa would have been carried out, they could have halted the negotiations being conducted by Israel and the Palestinian Authority. According to the source, the devices caught were especially powerful, and each could have caused dozens of casualties. At this stage, security officials see no sign of restraint on the part of militants, and say that attempts continue to carry out terror attacks.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

Threatened Hamas ceasefire?

About time for a helicopter missile attack against Hamas officials that accidentally kills the odd child!

(which will be answered by a sickening Hamas murder of defenceless civillians)

Cuz it's always Israel that acts first, right?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    And of course - now they have attacked US diplomats to Israel - but hey, its a ceasefire - lets dance.... no need to worry, they are just being naughty... they actually do want peace really, they do....

Last Update: 28/06/2003 21:45

Explosives detonate near convoy with U.S. diplomats in Gaza

By Amos Harel, David Ratner and Tsahar Rotem, Haaretz Correspondents, Haaretz Service and Agencies

Two explosive devices detonated Saturday afternoon near a convoy with U.S. diplomats travelling on the "Tancher" highway, which bisects the northern and southern Gaza Strip. No injuries were reported in the incident, which occurred adjacent to the town of Beit Lahiya. One car sustained damages in the blast.

An IDF source said Israeli forces were not in the area but were informed by the Americans when they left the Gaza Strip. He said U.S. officials have recently been driving in that area every day.

Israeli and Palestinian negotiators disagree over which side will control the Tancher highway after security control in the northern Gaza Strip is transferred to the Palestinians. The negotiators have decided that it would gradually be opened to Palestinian traffic.

Also Saturday, five mortar shells were fired at the Gush Katif settlement bloc in the southern Gaza Strip.

IDF troops foil attemped infiltration from Gaza Strip into Kibbutz Kissufim IDF troops foiled an attempted infiltration from the Gaza Strip into Israel overnight Saturday, Israel Radio reported.

Soldiers spotted three Palestinians near the fence surrounding Kibbutz Kissufim, inside Israel. The three fled back to the Gaza Strip after realizing they were seen. In searches Saturday morning troops found the ladder the men planned to use to climb over the fence.

In the West Bank, troops arrested 12 wanted Palestinian in Nablus, Hebron and Bethlehem.

In Nablus, a policeman was wounded while trying to neutralize an explosive device he found in a trash can in the Ras al Ein neighborhood. Two women were hurt in the explosion.

IDF soldier, 4 Palestinians killed in Gaza Strip IDF Staff Sergeant Erez Ashkenazi, 21, from Kibbutz Reshafim in the Beit She'an Valley, was killed early Friday in a Gaza Strip operation to root out Palestinian militants suspected of planning a terror attack.

Three Palestinian gunmen and one Palestinian civilian were also killed, and 15 Palestinians and one soldier were wounded in the operation, which began early Friday morning in Gaza City. The IDF arrested an additional three Palestinian suspects in the course of the operation.

The Israel Defense Forces said it had received a warning that the targets of the operation were planning to carry out a major terror attack on Friday morning at the Karni-Netzarim crossing in the Gaza Strip.

Mahmoud Zahar, a Hamas leader, suggested Friday that despite the raid, truce talks between Palestinian factions were still on. "A plan for a truce... will be announced along with other Palestinian factions at the right time," he told Lebanon's Al Hayat-LBC satellite television from Gaza. "Until this happens, the resistance and confrontation will continue."

Hamas' military wing issued a statement blaming the United States for the Israeli strikes, but refrained for the first time from making customary threats of more attacks against Israel.

IDF troops approached the home of Hamas activist Amran al-Rul, who the IDF said has planned shooting and bomb attacks in the nearby Netzarim settlement. Palestinians fired at the troops and detonated a bomb as they approached the house in the Moraqa neighborhood, lightly wounding one soldier.

The troops returned fire, killing al-Rul, a 30-year-old relative and assistant to Adnan al-Rul, who is in charge of producing Qassam rockets and anti-tank missiles. Mohammad al-Rul, Adnan al-Rul's 24-year-old son, was also killed, as was Palestinian gunman Zehariya Sa'idi.

Palestinian civilian Mohammed Abu Atiya, who was in a nearby house, was also killed, and a Hamas activist who was in the house was wounded and arrested. The IDF demolished the house when the exchanges of gunfire ceased. Adnan al-Rul was not there.

IDF units were planning to arrest Amran al-Rul as well as Hamas activists from the nearby Sa'idi family. Troops arrested two armed Palestinians in the Sa'idi house.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Well, this looks like a recipe for disaster. First, al Asqa refused to sign on to the cease-fire. Second, there are a number of conditions associated with Hamas and Islamic Jihad's agreement, including the release of all Palestinians in Israeli custody. Color me cynical, but I don't see much upside for Israel here. Hamas and IJ might well keep making attacks under the AAMB banner, or AAMB might see a sudden surge in membership for the next three months. If the PA (which is mostly Fatah, after all) is unable/unwilling to put a lid on AAMB, there will be great domestic pressure on Israel to take matters back into their own hands - and if they do they will be roundly condemned by the world for "breaking the "cease-fire"", which won't have actually existed in the first place. Meanwhile, under international (i.e. European) pressure, they let thousands of terrorists out of jail to go rejoin their old hit squads. Three months from now, the "cease-fire" ends, and all the terror groups have had three months to rest, recover and rebuild. This is good for Israel how? Because it gives Europeans more reasons to justify their hate of Israel? (They wouldn't be reasonable and release all the murderers...they wouldn't sit still and die during a cease-fire...yadda yadda yadda)
  • Reply 13 of 16
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    That didn't last long. Look what the Jews caused. When will the jews be stopped?

Palestinians take charge in Gaza

Quote:

But the first full day of the truce was marred when a Palestinian faction killed a foreigner working for an Israeli company in the northern West Bank.

The al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades - which has not signed up for the truce -said it carried out the attack near Jenin.

• Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

That didn't last look. Look what the Jews caused. When will the jews be stopped?

Just as soon as the Palestinian people see it your way and agree that it really has been all their fault all along and accept that Israeli brutality hasn't contributed to the violence in any way and apologise (why not?) for being Arab and Muslim and generally not Jewish enough to live somewhere they've been living for generations and genetically predisposed to violence, which is, it would seem, a Jewish prerogative only.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    You anti-semitic bastard!! You should be flogged with a box of Yar-mulkas. Or dreidls (look ma, I can spelL!) or something.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Just as soon as the Palestinian people see it your way and agree that it really has been all their fault all along and accept that Israeli brutality hasn't contributed to the violence in any way

No one has said that here, that I have recall read. I do seem to recall another thread claiming that Israel was the primary threat to mideast peace however.

Quote:

and apologise (why not?) for being Arab and Muslim and generally not Jewish enough to live somewhere they've been living for generations

And how welcome have jews, historically, been in areas controlled by Palestinians?

Only one side, I believe, has a publically stated mandate to erradicate an 'infestation' of people based on their race and/or religion.

Quote:

and genetically predisposed to violence, which is, it would seem, a Jewish prerogative only.

hello strawman, nice to see you again (and again....)