Home networking forum... where is Apple?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just saw this story about the "Digital Home Working Group" and I noticed that microsoft is a member and Apple is not... I can't understand it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

I just saw this story about the "Digital Home Working Group" and I noticed that microsoft is a member and Apple is not... I can't understand it.

Means nothing. Any networking standard that may be created will have easy access for all. Apple would be better to spend their time on more important coalitions like Hypertransport amongst others.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Don't you think "Digital Hub" is important to Apple? It looks to me like Apple has not been invited to the party. Apple need to be their to make sure that MS proprietary standards are not adopted. How would you like WMA adopted as the standard format for the home network?

No I think this is potentially a serious threat to Apple's plans.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Microsoft won't make any headway. WM9 is being all but shut out by Hollywood. Their not interested in Microsoft encroaching on their territory.

Audio is already a hodgpodge of formats. DSD from Sony/Philips, MLP from Meridian/DVD-Audio. The one thing we need is a connectivity standard. Ethernet, Firewire...HPNA over Phonelines.

DVI and eventually HDMI will be the next Interface. True networking is a ways away unfortunately. Manufacturers don't seem to be exited by anything that makes it easy for their competitors to interface with their products.