Couple of digital camera questions...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Think I've settled on the Canon Powershot A60.

It's supported by iPhoto and OS X, it has a 3x optical zoom and is only $249.

Anyone own one? Have anything to say about it, good or bad? Seems that most of my friends and family that own digital cameras have a Canon model of some sort...and I've never heard them say anything bad about them. But I'm looking for some more savvy, "in-the-know" opinions and recommendations.

Yes, it's 2 megapixels. I know that's a bit on the low side.

Here's the thing: I don't have a printer. When I DO have a printer, I'm not the type of person that is going to be printing out 8x10 prints. Should the need every arise (higher resolution), both my Mom and sister own PowerShot S45 Canons...4 megapixels. At 2 megapixels, I guess I could get a really nice 4x6 print, right?

I'd use it mostly for e-mail and web gallery photos. And to create my own source artwork. And, mostly, to take photos for usage as illustration templates/guides.

So, in a nutshell, I don't NEED 3, 4 or 5 megapixels. I'm more interested in zoom, price, compact design and ease-of-use. In that order.

Anyone own one of these models and can give me the rundown on them...from your personal experience?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Anyone own one? Have anything to say about it, good or bad? Seems that most of my friends and family that own digital cameras have a Canon model of some sort...and I've never heard them say anything bad about them. But I'm looking for some more savvy, "in-the-know" opinions and recommendations.

Here's the thing: I don't have a printer. When I DO have a printer, I'm not the type of person that is going to be printing out 8x10 prints. Should the need every arise (higher resolution), both my Mom and sister own PowerShot S45 Canons...4 megapixels. At 2 megapixels, I guess I could get a really nice 4x6 print, right?

I'd use it mostly for e-mail and web gallery photos. And to create my own source artwork. And, mostly, to take photos for usage as illustration templates/guides.

So, in a nutshell, I don't NEED 3, 4 or 5 megapixels. I'm more interested in zoom, price, compact design and ease-of-use. In that order.

Anyone own one of these models and can give me the rundown on them...from your personal experience?

Hey Pscates, Canon Powershots are great. I have one of the earliest 1.3 megapixel models (yikes, it cost me $800 Cdn back then!). They just feel solid and well built. The interface is pretty simple too. Only issue (with mine) is the time lag between depressing the shutter and capturing the shot. Not sure if this has since been improved.

I've also like the Olympus brand. My friend has a 4 megapixel Minolta but he ends up shooting at a lower res. Two megapixels should be fine for your uses. Oh yeah, look for optical zoom, not digital zoom.

Hope that helps.

• Reply 2 of 19
    digitaldavedigitaldave Posts: 445member
    pscates,

I haven't used the A60, but I do have an earlier version, the A20, that still gets used even though I now have a 10D DSLR, as the A20 is much more portable. For a 2MP camera, I'm really impressed with the quality of the pictures, and since the A60 is a newer camera, I'd say the pictures should be a bit better. It uses the new DIGIC image processor, so that should help.

The 3x zoom should be OK for general use in most situations - just don't use the digital zoom if you want good pics .

As satchmo said, shutter lag is an issue with most p&s digicams. However, if you're not in a hurry, it won't be a problem, as you can frame the shot, press the shutter button half way down, let the camera focus and set the exposure, then press the shutter button the rest of the way and it takes the shot.

I don't know what the handling and controls are like, as I've not used one, but in general, I find Canon cameras easy to use. And there's a reason they keep winning awards on web review sites and in the magazines .

Finally, I know you said you don't need 3MP, but if the price difference isn't too great, I'd recommend getting the A70 - after all, you can nvere have too many pixels .

Hope this helps .

Cheers,

Dave.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The A60 is $225 at Dell.com with free shipping...
  • Reply 4 of 19
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i got the a40 2mega pixels becuase it look like good design and the picture quality was good

again as in most consumer p&s models this does have the lag between button push and picture take but almost any consumer camera does

it does take nice pictures and has 3x optical zoom, again i wouldn't ever use digital if i were you, its basically just blowing up the optical zoom and loosing quality (at least with mine it doesn't look as good) so just take it at 3x and then blow it up urself if u want that much

i havn't tried priting from my camera yet but 4x6...i thought 5x7 was the max but perhaps not...i will find out once i get my G5 and free printer!
  • Reply 5 of 19
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    A bunch of new cameras recently came out, and the Canon G5, so the Canon G3 (4MP) might be available for a pretty good price. It'll still cost more than what you have in mind, I'll wager, and it's bulkier too, but by most accounts it's a nice camera that brings really great results.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    fawkesfawkes Posts: 80member
    I've had two Canon digitals and have been extremely pleased with both of them. My Pro90IS has been a faithful companion for years: it's been around the world and hasn't given me a lick of trouble:

Greece & Turkey

I also bought a Canon ELPHS200 (IXUS in the rest of the world) for my wife and she absolutely loves it.

Sound's like you've made a good choice at a good price; enjoy your new camera!
  • Reply 7 of 19
    cbothcboth Posts: 16member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I purchased a Canon S330 last Fall and have been very pleased with it. I was looking for something small that would go in my pocket and would offer some manual control as well. I have just recently bought a Canon i850 printer with 4 individual ink tanks and am amazed at the quality of uncropped 8 1/2 X 11 from this 2 megapixel camera. I am recommending the Canon A70 to anyone who asks. I would like the close macro focusing that the Nikon offers, but overall Canon makes a great product.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    I have a Nikon CoolPix 775, it is a great camera. The pictures are so great we have switched from film and just order prints from my digital camera. I will post some pictures I have taken this afternoon, after I get back from work.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    sobelizzardsobelizzard Posts: 130member
    Hey Pscates, I've got an A60. I love it! Its my first digital camera, and I'm not by any means a "photographer", but it gets the job done very nicely. Works great with iPhoto, and we have printed out some photos with great results. i recommend it
  • Reply 10 of 19
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Cool! Seems like I might've made a pretty smart choice. Thanks for all the responses!

I just needed something compact, affordable and with a decent optical zoom (I know about the whole optical vs. digital zoom thing) and OS X/iPhoto compatibility.

And yeah, the occasional 4x6 or 5x8 print and web galleries will also come into play, of course.

Unless something replaces it in the very near future, I'll be getting that one.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    evoevo Posts: 198member
    I recently got a PowerShot A70 at Target for $299 and I'm very pleased with it. I ordered some 4x6 prints via iPhoto and they turned out great. I really have no complaints about it except it isn't the sleekest looking camera out there...
  • Reply 12 of 19
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    even if you don't care, you should not buy a camera under 3 millions pixel. 3 milliions pixel is the minimal level to print A4 pictures with details.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    pscates, I agree with Powerdoc: You really need 3MP. Rarely do I not crop. You say you won't ever need an 8x10 print, but, I guarantee you, there will be a day where some family member (or whomever) will want some large print, and you'll be trying to finesse what'll be an 80dpi image.

Spend the extra $$$, and buy another CF card!

Have fun.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    i've got an A20 which i recently brought to a Yankee game. it took great touristy pictures (like here's me by the stadium, here's me by the hot dog vendor, here's the hot dog i'm about to eat and so on) however my seats weren't close enough for the zoom. i'm awaiting a tele converter lens to boost the optical zoom. i've used it for a couple of years and it is a wonderful camera especially for the price. i agree with scottiB thought, mine came with an 8 mb card which was a joke when taking pictures at maximum resolution. i got a 256 mb card now and also rechargables and a charger. so it's the perfect camera for vacations.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    I have a 2mp Canon Elf. Works great. Does have the delay that has been mentioned. But I would suggest you DO go with a 3 mp.

Why?

Sure 2 is enough resolution if you are going to use the whole picture. But once you start cropping and zooming you loose a lot of pixels fast. this will limit even a good 5x7 print if it needs cropped etc.

just my 2 cents
  • Reply 16 of 19
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I know it's a completely different class of camera than the kind you were looking for Pscates, and I don't want to drag anyone into the wait game, but...

There are some 6MP (12MP interpolated) and 8MP consumer size sensors coming out from Fuji and Sony, they are already announced, and you should see cameras using them around christmas time.

That should drive 2MP cameras into point and shoot price ranges, and make 3-4MP cameras VERY affordable.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    gardnerjgardnerj Posts: 167member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

The A60 is $225 at Dell.com with free shipping...

Ha i'd rather pay $249 and buy it elsewhere thanks.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    cbothcboth Posts: 16member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gardnerj

Ha i'd rather pay $249 and buy it elsewhere thanks.

protekdirect.com has the Canon A60 for $192.00 + $14.95 ground shipping = $206.95 total.