Panther Requests? (with full details and screenshots from AppleInsider)

Comments

• Reply 301 of 552
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Do you folks that were talking about Jaguar's screen lock on page 7 or so, realize that -any- valid username and password will unlock the screensaver/screenlock and let you onto the system?

I mean if you are Jane Doe and lock your screen, Fred Smith can come along (if he's a user on that Mac) and type his info in and get on, seeing all her apps and opened docs and all folders.

I just tried the suggested screen lock under 10.2.6 and it cannot be bypassed by another valid user on the same machine.
  • Reply 302 of 552
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Hwy now, what's that thar "Typography" thingy in the Cocoa Font panel? Glad to see they added a resizing knob to the font preview too.
  • Reply 303 of 552
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I just tried the suggested screen lock under 10.2.6 and it cannot be bypassed by another valid user on the same machine.

Same on 10.3.

You can get out of it if the user you input is an administrator. You can NOT get out of it if it's just a regular user. That's how it *should* be, IMO.
  • Reply 304 of 552
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Indeed. Admins should be able to override a screen lock.
  • Reply 305 of 552
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Good call der Kopf. Thanks brad. JLL press Cmd H in Photoshop. It doesn't hide. That's what I meant, it would be nice to be able to change shortcuts. How does one do this manually in OS X, w/o MenuMaster? I remember how to in ResEdit but I haven't played much in Interface Builder.
  • Reply 306 of 552
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

JLL press Cmd H in Photoshop. It doesn't hide. That's what I meant, it would be nice to be able to change shortcuts. How does one do this manually in OS X, w/o MenuMaster?

Photoshop -> Preferences -> General -> Use System Shortcut Keys
  • Reply 307 of 552
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Are any of you who are playing with Panther demos in a position to submit bug reports?

If so, I hope you hammer Apple with bug reports for not only new bugs in new features, but for lingering bugs too -- I have in mind some pet peeve Finder issues, in fact.
  • Reply 308 of 552
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    I hope Brad or someone can answer two things for me about Panther.....

First can you make use of the Function Keys to set them to open apps and move that app to the front when you press it's Function Key?

And with the new thing where you can set keyboard key combos can you make the finder work like it used to when you make a new folder? now in 10.2 if you do command n in the finder it make a new window....which is a joke....can we sent it to make a new folder now? i also see that you can open .dmg files in the finder now which is nice but where can you make your own now?

Also if anyone can....can you tell me if dial up is more reliable in Panther as right now in jag dial up users get disconnected alto by the OS...and yes it is the OS as the ISP's have been tested on other set ups like PC's and external modems and work fine....under Mac OS X it's always disconnecting for no reason.

I Hope people can fill in my questions.

Frank_t
  • Reply 309 of 552
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

There is no General Prefs in Panther. There is an Appearance pane, but it does not have an option to put BOTH scroll arrows at BOTH ends. You choose either both at one end, or one at each end.

Apologies. Profuse apologies. I'm running (and was running) Jag at the moment, and so I couldn't go and check where it was. I thought he was talking about one arrow at top and bottom. My fault
  • Reply 310 of 552
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by beigean

In response to using the Finder the Classic way, this version of the Finder looks closer to the old way (when the button on the right is pushed) AND, get this, it even REMEMBERS window positions like OS 9 used to!! This new Finder feels and reacts like a souped up Classic version (only with Brushed Metal instead of Platinum). Good news for some of you! The spatial Finder is back if you want it to be!

Okay, I've read the many threads on Panther, and haven't really grasped this issue. When you say "the spatial Finder is back," do you mean a return to the 1-to-1 relationship between windows and folders? When you double-click a folder, and a window opens, is that folder then grayed-out so you can tell that the folder is already open? That's what the "spatial Finder" means to me.

Can somebody try this and post a screenshot? Like I said, I've been through lots of threads on this, and not a shot of such an example could be found. Thanks!
  • Reply 311 of 552
    dale soreldale sorel Posts: 186member
    Is there an option to turn off showing stuff on the desktop in the Finder preferences?
  • Reply 312 of 552
    Yes, the Finder prefs are verbatim what they in Jaguar right now.
  • Reply 313 of 552
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    Can anyone answer my questions? Please.

Frank_t
  • Reply 314 of 552
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by frank_t

now in 10.2 if you do command n in the finder it make a new window....which is a joke....can we sent it to make a new folder now?

You can make a new folder in the finder with cmd-shift-n in Jaguar, this is the same in Panther. Are you asking about remapping the keyboard shortcut?
  • Reply 315 of 552
    gambitgambit Posts: 475member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Oh, and one little thing from page 3 that I never got around to addressing:

This is not correct. I removed the flexible space and I *still* can't add regular files and folders to the toolbar. Care to point out anything I might be missing?

Do this:

Open two Finder windows, and Customize Toolbar in one of them. Take whatever you want from the other Finder window and drag it to the toobar of the one that is being customized. There. You can still customize the toolbars.

By the way, I like my bum.
  • Reply 316 of 552
    Frank, I don't know about the function keys, but you can remap a lot of shortcuts in Panther, in the keyboard system prefs I think. We must have the image of that somewhere on page 3...
  • Reply 317 of 552
    Quote:

Originally posted by frank_t

I hope Brad or someone can answer two things for me about Panther.....

First can you make use of the Function Keys to set them to open apps and move that app to the front when you press it's Function Key?

And with the new thing where you can set keyboard key combos can you make the finder work like it used to when you make a new folder? now in 10.2 if you do command n in the finder it make a new window....which is a joke....can we sent it to make a new folder now? i also see that you can open .dmg files in the finder now which is nice but where can you make your own now?

Also if anyone can....can you tell me if dial up is more reliable in Panther as right now in jag dial up users get disconnected alto by the OS...and yes it is the OS as the ISP's have been tested on other set ups like PC's and external modems and work fine....under Mac OS X it's always disconnecting for no reason.

I Hope people can fill in my questions.

Frank_t

To answer a few of your questions. First: about the 'Full Keyboard Access'

I toyed around with the 'Full Keyboard Access' a little bit. It doesn't seem to be implemented at all. At first I tried simply re-mapping the New Folder command to command - n. That didn't work, so I thought it might just not be able to override pre-existing commands. So I tried it with some obscure combination, and it still didn't work. I then tried other commands, and other key combinations, and nothing seemed to work. I don't think it's implemented yet.

As far as using function keys to call other apps, I don't quite know how that would work, even if it were implemented. You need to choose a specific menu command to get it to work, and there really isn't a menu command in any program to open itself.

Take a look at the sheet that comes down when you click on "Add Keyboard Shortcut"

I don't have dialup, so I can't answer that question. And as far as creating .dmg files, I believe you still need to go through Disk Copy... I don't see anything that would do it in the Finder.
  • Reply 318 of 552
    OK, I know I posted this in the "Panther and Inkwell" thread, but I thought that since this is the "official screen shots thread" I might as well post them here, too. They'd probably getting linked to from here anyways.

I figured out how to get the Ink prefpane to open without a tablet, so I don't know anything about the actual use of Inkwell, but here are screenshots:

The Preferences.app with the Ink pane icon

The Settings Tab

(The Options Button sheet from that tab)

The Gestures Tab

The Word List Tab

The "Ink Server"

The Ink Menu item

Edit: Oh, and the recognized languages are English, French, and German
  • Reply 319 of 552
    long aapllong aapl Posts: 15member
    I'm just wondering and sorry if this has already been discussed in here but I haven't had the time to read from page 3 to page 7... regarding the screensaver lock, when the screen is locked can someone else log in under their user name and work under their account? Or is the computer simply not usable unless you are an admin or the specific user that locked the computer?

Also, and this may be hard to try out, but does the connect to server work with secure servers now? In Jaguar I couldn't connect to my school's secure webdav server while Windows had no problem. Has this been fixed? I sure hope so!

Thanks!
  • Reply 320 of 552
    long aapllong aapl Posts: 15member
    Oh one more thing (and I'm sure I'll think of more)... folders such as the home folder on the dock, are they spring loaded now?

For example, can I take a jpg from the desktop, move it down to my home folder for a bit, that springs open and shows my other folders so that I can put the jpg in the pictures folder? And can someone show a screen shot if possible?

Thanks!