CONFIRMED: I'm going to ....

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Yea well those French people should be ready because I have a camera and a powerbook.

trying to impress them like the white photographer in africa in the 12" powerbook ad in january? "look, i am white, rich and have a nice powerbook ... (and you poor people have never seen even a peecee)"
  • Reply 42 of 54
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    uh yea You got my number man 'cause I'm all like pewh! and they're all like yahh!
  • Reply 43 of 54
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Sooo ... when u go there, Scott?
  • Reply 44 of 54
    I think we leave July 2nd and get back the 8th. My wife has a laundry list of buildings she wants to see. We're going to email our friends in A'dam to see if they want to come down (does that cost a lot?) and also my wife may contact some people she knows in Renzo's office to see if they want to go out. I think I need to find something I want to do so it will be balanced a bit.
  • Reply 45 of 54
    Good luck. Hopefully the whole country won't still be on strike by the time you get there. If so, well you can always pass the time talking geopolitics with our French friends while you want for a train that is never coming.

In truth France is a nice place to visit from what relatively little I have seen although I prefers Germanys or Londons. Or the scenery of scandanavia and such. But still good to go and good place for the couples to go to get your schwerv on.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    I leave tonight. Suitcase is mostly packed. Car service is on order for 4pm. I have my "I'm 'merican" ball cap so my head doesn't burn. We're going to Renzo's office to check out the project and maybe get a bite with the real Frenchmen. My wife ran into a coworker also going to Paris when getting Euros and so we'll meet up with her there for dinner. The weather looks good after Friday, high of 80F. My wife has her long list of buildings she wants to see. We have our "tour preview" issues of Velo and Cycling. What else? I hope I didn't forget anything.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    France is completely, totally, tout a fait, awesome. The secenery is so varied and beautiful it does my head in. It has wilderness (the Alps), volcanic weirdness (Massif Centrale), fantastic rivers and gorges, wicked little villages perched on mountains, enormous caves, great big Roman aquaducts... it still has regional cooking (like Italy and Spain), little secret Michelin *** restaurants, and outside of Paris (and the villages of the deep south where they're pissed off with the British buying all their houses) everyone is extremely friendly.
  • Reply 48 of 54
    Yea I'm sure it's great. We're staying the Latin Quarter. Like a lot of people I get all worked up before vacation and then once there I have a great time.

Next I want to go back to my homeland, England. I think it's more my speed. That tourist guy on PBS did one of those hiking tours of England and it look really cool. Walk 5 miles ... stop in for a pint ... walk 10 miles stop in for 2 pints and some food walk some more ... check in and have more pints
  • Reply 49 of 54
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Yea I'm sure it's great. We're staying the Latin Quarter. Like a lot of people I get all worked up before vacation and then once there I have a great time.

Next I want to go back to my homeland, England. I think it's more my speed. That tourist guy on PBS did one of those hiking tours of England and it look really cool. Walk 5 miles ... stop in for a pint ... walk 10 miles stop in for 2 pints and some food walk some more ... check in and have more pints

Enjoy your holidays, i hope the weather will be fine. There is some rains, now, but the temperature are lower and thus more friendly. The two last week of june where extremely hot.

Avoid the Champs Elysee, it's a bad place ,expansive drinks and no nice people here.

My favorite museum is Orsay, i think there is a visit at night the friday (but i may be wrong). If you link the nineteen century painting and the impressionist you should go there.

Le louvre is a giant museum, it's impossible to visit him in one day. It's teh equivalent in size of the british museum.
  • Reply 50 of 54
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Enjoy your holiday in the land of freedom

No really enjoy it
  • Reply 51 of 54
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

If you [like] the nineteen century painting and the impressionist you should go there.

Scott and impressionist paintings? Maybe I'm being terribly unfair, but I see Scott as more the midget wrestling or monster truck rally type.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Scott and impressionist paintings? Maybe I'm being terribly unfair, but I see Scott as more the midget wrestling or monster truck rally type.

Who knows ?
  • Reply 53 of 54
    I'm back. Had a good time. We did goto Orsay as well as most of the other highlights. Went to a 4th of July bar-b-cue with americans and others from Renzo's office. I'll post more later.
  • Reply 54 of 54
    nixinixi Posts: 49member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

if they don't make an effort to speak in English fuuckem!!!

Exactly. "Fuuckem". They're the ones missing out! And anyway, it's not like there are better ways to waste one's time and money than to fly half way around the world, only to irritate the locals, is there?

The french, just like the people in most countries around the world, will go out of their way to help you if they sense that you've made even the slightest effort to communicate in their language. Even if they don't speak your language, which is, quite honestly, the case of a lot more people in France than you'd care to note.

Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

the mayor is a francophile too. what a coincidence. if he'll be there too (and not just you and your wife), maybe just have a round in paris' boys town. but be worried to not look like a jew, i obviously did look like one when i was beaten unconsious.*

Somehow that sounds like an attempt to irony, the use of which obviously eludes you as much as spelling, grammar and syntax. Not to mention Parisian geography. If you do choose to visit the boys' town, wear your kippah as proudly or with as much humility as you wish - the gay area of Paris, known as "le Marais", also happens to be the jewish section.

As for being beaten unconscious, are you sure it's because you look like a jew (whatever that might mean), or because you dared to address a parisian in english?