USA to Blackball I.C.C countries.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The United States has financially " blackballed " over 30 countries that failed to meet Washington's deadline over I.C.C ( International Criminal Court ) immunity for US personnel serving Ov/seas in various military or quasi-military situations..

In their defence the Unitied States claim that their soldiers and other sevice personal will be " hindered " in their day to day attempts to combat global terrorism.

The Bush administration fears this new United Nations sponsored court will be used to promote false allegations of war crimes against United States service personnel as well as being the launching pad for a host of anti american political agendas.

So the question is :

Is the United States within its rights to suspend aid ( its own money ) if it feels that these same countries are going to bite the hand that feeds them ?

Or Should Americans stand trial for war crimes (if actually committed ) like everyone else ?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in561364.shtml

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Is the United States within its rights to suspend aid ( its own money ) if it feels that these same countries are going to bite the hand that feeds them ?

Absolutely. And as we've seen from bullshit cases in Belgium Bush's problem with the ICC is 100% valid. It's all political.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Absolutely. And as we've seen from bullshit cases in Belgium Bush's problem with the ICC is 100% valid. It's all political.

Well. I happen to agree, but mainly because the USA has a very powerful and alternate court...the media.

It is more powerful than any tribunal in any foreign country. I can't imagine the American Press tripping over a massacre or war crime and pretending it hasn't happened.

I am thinking of Mi-Lai, I am thinking of the power to drum presidents out of office..

So as long as the Press remains free, it is a far more formidable weapon than any court.

These courts should exist for those countries whose military or ruling governments control / terrorise their own populace..places where transparent government doesn't exist. Places where the press are either gagged, or shot on sight.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

So the question is :

Of course. The US, and any other country, has a right to spend it's aid money wherever and whenever it choses.

Quote:

Or Should Americans stand trial for war crimes (if actually committed ) like everyone else ?

Yes and they will under current systems.

The ICC is much like the "special prosecutor" that the US has had trouble with in the past. Fat bank roll, unaccountable, no time limit, corrupted by politics and in the case of the ICC unbalanced in the system.

I'm sure the Jews and Americans will be the main target of the ICC.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Well. I happen to agree, but mainly because the USA has a very powerful and alternate court...the media.

It is more powerful than any tribunal in any foreign country. I can't imagine the American Press tripping over a massacre or war crime and pretending it hasn't happened.

Do you mean like the mass grave in afghanistan filled with bodies of 'enemy combatants' killed in containers (shot and suffocated)?

http://www.informationclearinghouse....ideo1/POWa.mov
  • Reply 5 of 33
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

USA has a very powerful and alternate court...the media.

You're joking, right? Our ra-ra media like CNN are simply cheerleaders for whatever the US does.

Sure, they like sex scandals and other easily digestible stories, but Americans have the media so far back on their heels that they'll never question anything that could put themselves in an "unpatriotic" light.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    So when the US commits a war crime, how should the world bring them the guilty party to a court of law?
  • Reply 7 of 33
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    at least we're not blue-balling them....
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

You're joking, right? Our ra-ra media like CNN are simply cheerleaders for whatever the US does.

Sure, they like sex scandals and other easily digestible stories, but Americans have the media so far back on their heels that they'll never question anything that could put themselves in an "unpatriotic" light.

I can't believe that the media in the USA is all lopsidedly Right winged. The same accusation is lobbed by the Right to claim that all the press in the US is Left winged.

So go figure...

And these days, I hardly think that even the BBC would be seen as a shining exemplar of unbiased press.

So if you can't trust your own media to bring you the truth..then who do you trust ?

Giant.....

As per the bodies in Afghanistan..yes..so what.?

I have seen all the reports and at best, most of the so called "eye-witnesses " contradicted themselves. It was a beat up by a French reporter...one wonders about the agenda.?

As per usual in French / Belgium courts..your guilty till proved innocent..

So the American troops on the ground in Afhanistan are automatically "guilty" by association..

Most Euro-media is Crap ( propaganda ) Media
  • Reply 9 of 33
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

I can't believe that the media in the USA is all lopsidedly Right winged. The same accusation is lobbed by the Right to claim that all the press in the US is Left winged.

So go figure...

Not right-wing. Just ra-ra.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Of course, with the US being the most belligerent country ever to disgrace the face of this earth, they have all right to fear sweet Mother Justice.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Giant.....

when are you people ever going to learn?
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

when are you people ever going to learn?

What are we to learn oh mighty giant one ?
  • Reply 13 of 33
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Of course, with the US being the most belligerent country ever to disgrace the face of this earth, they have all right to fear sweet Mother Justice.

Uh huh. Oh ye of little history.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Uh huh. Oh ye of little history.

Nah Der Kopf has hysteria..or is it histrionics sometimes...
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Yea, I know. He's just trying to push people's buttons. Probably thinks it works too.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    norfanorfa Posts: 171member
    It is really sad. but what we are seeing here is the United States losing all sense of perspective. Lets talk about Ollie North and the contras. The United States was clearly in violation of international law. Ollie North was convicted, and then pardoned by his boss, the guy who asked him to break the law. The United States has as many people who have violated international law as any on earth. From supporteing Pinochet in Chile to covert support for the death squads in San Salvadore, the United States has supported some of the most repressive regimes on the planet. There is no justice for the people wronged in these campaigns. The death squads in most of those countries exterminated union leaders, local political leaders who couldn't be bought, anyone who stood in the way of absolute US power. 7/11 was just the act that tipped the hand in the favour of the military and world dominatoin freaks. How long before the US starts demanding tribute from the conquered? Maybe , a piece of the oil money from Iraq? It's on the horizon. The US dominates the world, militarily, because no one else will devote the percentage of out GNP to our militaries that the US does. The rest of us have lives, and economies. You have become a nation of war mongering freaks. In old times if Roman citizens were killed, they executed 10 of their opposition for every man they lost. The barbarism of the US has gone way beyond that. If they wanted to retaliate for 7/11, they should have taken out Saudi Arabia, thats where most of those guys came from.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Yes, I'm sure everyone would be happy with taking out the Saud family instead of the Taliban or the Baath party. They're not as sympathetic, even if they weren't sheltering those who planned and executed the 9/11 attacks. Believe whatever y'all want, whatever's convenient for you and your inferiority complexes.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:

Of course not. Americans should only be tried by other Americans, just as the rest of the world are...
  • Reply 19 of 33
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Manish Ghosh

Of course not. Americans should only be tried by other Americans, just as the rest of the world are...

ZZZZZZZZZZING
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

ZZZZZZZZZZING

Sleep Oh Mighty Warlock...sleep..sleep....let the world of dreams and unreason cast a spell on you