Do you use Entourage or Mail, iCal, Address Book?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
If you have both what do you use and why?

I'm using Entourage, bc I could open my email attachments easier. But should I switch back?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    At home I use Mail. It's easy to use and takes care of my needs. Besides, it comes with Mac OS X.

At work I use Lotus Notes as work for email. The "coporate" solution. Definitely a productivity buster. I try to limit my interaction with it.

I have four calendars setup in iCal. I really like iCal. Others can check my scheduled events via the web. The only downside is that I don't update it frequently enough. They complain - "you have nothing new on your calendar".

Maybe my ignorance... but I don't know how to add new events to my calendars when I'm at work. This would be a great feature - since most of the time I encounter things during the day that I'd like to schedule...

Should you should switch back? That's a personal question. If you enjoy your current setup and don't have any major issues - stick with it. The less time you fiddle with your setup - the more time you have to be productive...

If you enjoy tinkering, then play with Mail. Set your account preferences on both apps to leave your mail on the server - then you can try out receiving mail in both apps and directly compare the difference.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Dividing tasks into apps is just plain better. I use iCal daily, I depend on it. All they need to do is refine that floating window thingy. And have the Dock icon update regardless of whether it's open.

Address Book is just plain awesome, it even uses MapQuest to find people! Click their address! The way it can integrate with apps is great. Developers that don't integrate it are stupid. Yea that would be M$. And AOL AIM for that matter too, it should do what iChat does.

Mail's Junk Mail is very accurate. It classifies my little sister's very annoying friend Kelley who constantly just sends astrology crap as spam. What more can I say?

Wouldn't it be great if Office integrated with these apps in Office 11? Although that would kind of negate Entourage I guess...But there is no question about it, Entourage is DEAD. Apple is pulling a Microsoft! Giving away free stuff that is arguably better is going to clobber Entourage, no one will use it unless they need (blech) Exchange. But if you're using that you're not fighting the good fight good enough!
  • Reply 3 of 13
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    "But there is no question about it, Entourage is DEAD."

This must be why the Mac Business Unit has committed to the next version of Mac Office already...they must be Undead or something.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    People will buy Office but not for Entourage. They will buy it because M$ is a bastard and they need 100% file compatibility. fück them I'm going to pirate it. I am not going to pay for stolen ideas run by an illegal monopoly strongarming the world into one format. All I use is Word. Keynote is better than PowerPoint. Mail iCal Address Book and soon iChat are better than Entourage. We just need Excel and Word killers. And Exchange and Hotmail compatibility. Which will never be 100% thanks to our justice system being for sale under a Republican administration.

There is no question that Apple took Entourage and kneed it in the face. Right in the teeth. Apple just writes better stuff. Putting 10 things into one app sucks.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Big words, but until Mail is trully robust (and I am hoping it is in Panther) those of us with 1500 contacts and 50000+ archived messages are staying right in Entourage.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    Actually, I'm sorta a dinosaur. I still use Claris Emailer in Classic. If it ain't broke, why fix it? The interface is just perfection to me. When they quit development, most of the team went over to make Entourage. I guess I should switch to that, but I just can't bring myself to do it. It's good, but not quite the same.

Here's hoping Apple takes their own design hints and changes Mail to look more like the Pather finder, iTunes, etc. Now that would seriously make me consider switching.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    Entorage just blows the current mail away, in terms of features and organization. It's just better, mail is too simple. I wouldn't go back, and panthers new mail dosent look like it has improved alot.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    The only thing missing in Mail is Categories. These are awesome in Entourage. However, if you look in the Jag Address Book it already has Categories so I am sure Mail 10.3 will too.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

People will buy Office but not for Entourage. They will buy it because M$ is a bastard and they need 100% file compatibility. fück them I'm going to pirate it. I am not going to pay for stolen ideas run by an illegal monopoly strongarming the world into one format. All I use is Word. Keynote is better than PowerPoint. Mail iCal Address Book and soon iChat are better than Entourage. We just need Excel and Word killers. And Exchange and Hotmail compatibility. Which will never be 100% thanks to our justice system being for sale under a Republican administration.

There is no question that Apple took Entourage and kneed it in the face. Right in the teeth. Apple just writes better stuff. Putting 10 things into one app sucks.

You should steal music too while you are at it! Oh, don't forget movies too.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Now now now. We all know it's not stealing, it's "copy right infringement." Oh yeah, and plus if you're not going to pay for it in the first place...
  • Reply 11 of 13
    loganlogan Posts: 284member
    keynote better than powerpoint? haha maybe if you want a couple of slide school project but for a professional level presentation, powerpoint is the way to go.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    "keynote better than powerpoint? haha maybe if you want a couple of slide school project but for a professional level presentation, powerpoint is the way to go."

Guess I've been giving a lot of grade school presentations then. Funny thing is, everyone always wants to know how I did it.

And of course, Steve Jobs must really be using Powerpoint.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    loganlogan Posts: 284member
    I'm not saying good presentations cant be made with keynote, im sayng that PowerPoint is a lot better and has a lot more features.