panther on an ibook

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
hey i just wanted to know if anyone knows the requirements for panther. My girlfriend has a g3 500mhz 256 ram ibook. The first of the new style. Will it be able to run panther?

thanks

chris

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    yes, but no iChat AV (as in no video, send or receive. Audio will still work)
  • Reply 2 of 15
    mac gurumac guru Posts: 367member
    I have that exact machine, (128MB more RAM than her though) and Panther purrs like a dream.

I'm ticked about the iChat AV video thing and I emailed Unsanity and they said they'd look into hacking it

Mac Guru
  • Reply 3 of 15
    shagstlmshagstlm Posts: 112member
    I am so happy to hear that panther works well. She still has 10.1 and its kinda slow...no doubt that panther will be slow too but hopefully more refined. That is extremely retarded...for lack of better words....about ichat. I dont think that she would use video that often but it would still be nice to have the option. What did you ask Unsanity to hack...ichat...rockin....anyway...Im also kinda pissed not really cause it didn't cost me anything but I got a pretty nice logitech usb camera....granted its no isight but i would still like to try ichat av with it...i still am going to get an isight but i dont have enought dough right now...thanks a lot!

chris
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by shagstlm

I am so happy to hear that panther works well. She still has 10.1 and its kinda slow...no doubt that panther will be slow too but hopefully more refined. That is extremely retarded...for lack of better words....about ichat. I dont think that she would use video that often but it would still be nice to have the option. What did you ask Unsanity to hack...ichat...rockin....anyway...Im also kinda pissed not really cause it didn't cost me anything but I got a pretty nice logitech usb camera....granted its no isight but i would still like to try ichat av with it...i still am going to get an isight but i dont have enought dough right now...thanks a lot!

chris

iChatAV doesn't accept USB cams.. I've tried.... It's stupid...
  • Reply 5 of 15
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    There is already a hack to allow usb cams.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by serrano

There is already a hack to allow usb cams.

WHERE?!?!
  • Reply 7 of 15
    donesdones Posts: 1member
    just use ivisit from ivisit.com is free videochat mac/pc
  • Reply 8 of 15
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dones

just use ivisit from ivisit.com is free videochat mac/pc

and that helps a USB camera work with iChat AV how?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

and that helps a USB camera work with iChat AV how?

Yeah I know..... Dork
  • Reply 10 of 15
    i would also like to know what this hack is...i have used other videoconferencing applications and they work but not very well. ichat looks like it works better than any other out there...so i would like to give it a shot...and i guess if i am forced to go out and buy a new isight...then it must be done....it will be even better when it can interact with windows too...so i can talk to more friends who havent switched..
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

i would also like to know what this hack is...i have used other videoconferencing applications and they work but not very well. ichat looks like it works better than any other out there...so i would like to give it a shot...and i guess if i am forced to go out and buy a new isight...then it must be done....it will be even better when it can interact with windows too...so i can talk to more friends who havent switched..

I PMed Serrano about it... I bet he hasn't answered because it doesn't exist.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    yes there is a hack, but it involves having a FW cam anyway... so unless you have one, you are going to need to get one to take advantage
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

yes there is a hack, but it involves having a FW cam anyway... so unless you have one, you are going to need to get one to take advantage

Yeah... I read that you have to have both connected and only the USB one is in use... that's sorta pointless...
  • Reply 14 of 15
    where are you guys reading this or hearing about it?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

where are you guys reading this or hearing about it?

Dude it's not worth it.... You can search for it on google: iChatAV USB Cam is the search query.