Do the Apple retail stores have G5's yet?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Do the apple retail stores have G5 demo units yet?

If not when are they expected?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    call one and ask, then post the answer here.

• Reply 2 of 17
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

Do the apple retail stores have G5 demo units yet?

If not when are they expected?

I doubt we'll see demo units until actual customer shipments start. The demand is so high now even without demo units being available, Apple hardly needs to stoke the flames any more.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    Didn't someone say they saw one in a comp usa in one of the TI threads. I wen't to my local one to check it out, no go. I wonder if he was lying
  • Reply 4 of 17
    nshirkeynshirkey Posts: 70member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

I doubt we'll see demo units until actual customer shipments start. The demand is so high now even without demo units being available, Apple hardly needs to stoke the flames any more.

I haven't seen any data on G5 demand (orders) yet. That's great news!

Can you post the data you have?
  • Reply 5 of 17
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Apple Stores aren't geting demo units till August...
  • Reply 6 of 17
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NShirkey

I haven't seen any data on G5 demand (orders) yet. That's great news!

Can you post the data you have?

There was a recent article on MacCentral saying that the G5 Power Macs were currently at #3 in Apple's top-selling items. When you consider that #1 was the iSight, and #2 the iPod -- much less expensive items -- that's very impressive.

iSight, iPod, Power Mac G5 top Apple sales chart

The article makes it sound like one G5 model alone, the dual 2.0 GHz, made up that #3 position, but since none of the other G5s show up in positions 4-10, I'm figuring that the stats are really about all new G5s collectively. (Then again, maybe the dual is that much more popular than the other G5s -- the dual's what I'm getting!)
  • Reply 7 of 17
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

There was a recent article on MacCentral saying that the G5 Power Macs were currently at #3 in Apple's top-selling items. When you consider that #1 was the iSight, and #2 the iPod -- much less expensive items -- that's very impressive.

iSight, iPod, Power Mac G5 top Apple sales chart

The article makes it sound like one G5 model alone, the dual 2.0 GHz, made up that #3 position, but since none of the other G5s show up in positions 4-10, I'm figuring that the stats are really about all new G5s collectively. (Then again, maybe the dual is that much more popular than the other G5s -- the dual's what I'm getting!)

it could very well be the dual is just that popular. But why? Well, the lowend sucks and the midrange has people thinking, well, if i go for just a bit more i could have a DUAL 2GHZ!!!! So they do it.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    Quote:

I don't trust that top sellers list. Shortly before WWDC, the #1 item on the list was the Cinema HD display. I find this quite improbable....
  • Reply 9 of 17
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Last week in Tokyo I came across a full size G5 cardboard mockup. From a distance it looked very real. It even has all of the case details like ports on it, so it looks like something official from Apple. Have these been seen around North America? Quite cool actually. I even took a picture, which I'd post if I'd got around to setting up my alotted webspace (and, as an aside, for any Canadians usinging anything higher than Symaptico's slow DSL, bandwidth caps are gone as of July 5th!).
  • Reply 10 of 17
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Apple's top-selling items. When you consider that #1 was the iSight, and #2 the iPod -- much less expensive items -- that's very impressive.

It;s not uncommon for just released products to do very well for Apple .. in the short term. The G5 is barely a week old, I would hope sales are crazy for it. But it will be interesting to see if the G5 will have legs, like Apple's portables. Hopefully from this point forward they will be able to introduce regular and meaningfull updates to the G5. If they can, then they have all their ducks lined up in a row.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I don't know when Apple retail stores will have a G5, but they will have one before the customer. That's what tell my Apple reseller.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    No G5 in the North Michigan Avenue store in Chicago yesterday.

Man, that is a beautiful store. Anyone who can walk in there and not have an overwhelming urge to max out their credit card is a technology eunuch.

The theater has 48 comfy seats. 16 iMacs just for surfing the web. A section devoted to iTunes Music Store & the iPod. And, of course, the "glass" staircase and bridge under the large skylight.

Today there are "only" 13 classes/worshops being offered.

I may move the family downtown just to be closer....
  • Reply 13 of 17
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    I'm planning on going to the michigan ave. store in early august- maybe I'll get the full expierence and the G5's will be there.

I doubt it though. But it is going to be right around my birthday........I'm not saying that I'm going to buy a G5, but maybe buy something.

I would pick up an iSight, but I only have a 500MHz iBook and its not compatible with it. DAMN!

Maybe something for the iPod- or a canon scanner- or what else do you guys reccommend under $100?
  • Reply 14 of 17
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    The Apple reseller in nottingham does not have the G5. The bloke reckoned not till late august, but then again he reckons on new powerbooks in the next coupla days
  • Reply 15 of 17
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    It's silly that the Apple stores don't have any demo G5s. It's not like there's 1000s of Apple stores. Just one demo G5 per store would create a ton of traffic, and possibly sales. I guarantee you there would be a line to test "drive" those things.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    mclmcl Posts: 11member
    The stores don't have demo units yet. The corporate store at HQ (1 Infinite Loop) doesn't have demo units yet.

It'll be a while.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

It's silly that the Apple stores don't have any demo G5s. It's not like there's 1000s of Apple stores. Just one demo G5 per store would create a ton of traffic, and possibly sales. I guarantee you there would be a line to test "drive" those things.

The hardware isn't finished... at WWDC they had prototypes.

There is a reason we are waiting till August for these things ya know.

No sense on having prototype machines at Apple Stores.