So much for PBs as the first 64 bit portable...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www6.tomshardware.com/game/200306281/index.html

At least we still have the best OS and best looking notebooks around.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

http://www6.tomshardware.com/game/200306281/index.html

At least we still have the best OS and best looking notebooks around.

Didn't SGI make notebooks? I thought I saw a couple, in the 4 minutes I watched from the movie, Congo.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights

Didn't SGI make notebooks? I thought I saw a couple, in the 4 minutes I watched from the movie, Congo.

well, i wouldn't call the SGI things notebooks. more like luggables. and they never offered them for public sale. only a few very high profile customers ever got their hands on one of those things.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    There are UltraSPARC II based notebooks out there...
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by pesi

... they never offered them for public sale. only a few very high profile customers ever got their hands on one of those things.

Well, that just made them even cooler— techy stuff that you can't buy.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    What's worse is that Apple's claim of being the first 64-bit Desktop computert is also looking like utter tripe. It's verty likely Athlon64 desktops will ship before the G5.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    Uh, you know there were 64-bit OS and PCs before G5 and Athlon64 right?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    64bit addressing doesn't seem like a make or break feature for portables at this point. The CPU or HD would consume a ton of energy while generating bits to fill that capacity.

Or, if you're crunching the numbers in a task that could bennefit from 64bit floating point, then a desktop would probably be in order.

Granted, these are just generalizations and portables will likely all be 64 bit someday. I guess what I'm trying to point out is that having the first 64bit portable isn't that impressive of a milestone.

Maybe I should be the first motorcycle manufacturer to produce a 40 gallon gas tank. I'd be the first.

• Reply 8 of 8
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Originally posted by klinux

Uh, you know there were 64-bit OS and PCs before G5 and Athlon64 right?

It depends on how Apple was defining desktop. Were the 64-bit PCs desktops, servers or workstations? I think everyone knows it's nit picking marketing talk.

I believe it's close enough to say that AMD and IBM are close to a tie for first place in 64-bit desktop chips. As far as the market goes, a couple months doesn't make much difference. Now Intel is far behind. They must either do a 64-bit x86 or a consumer version of the Itanium.