Should I return the Dual 1.42 I just bought?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    tidristidris Posts: 214member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tripleo

But yes, I'm just thinking that it might be a lost cause..at least for a while.. because this cutting edge technology can't be utilized by anyone yet. No software is really made to work with 64bit and I haven't heard of any PCI-X cards. So I think there will be some "catch up" time involved in the Mac 3rd party industry.

All those wonderful G5 benchmark results shown by Apple where with 32-bit software afaik. The fastest G5 machine runs 32-bit software faster than the fastest G4 machine.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    For example:

A dual 1.42 runs X-PLane at 60 FPS, the new G5 gets 120 even thought it's not optomized!!!
  • Reply 23 of 39
    tripleotripleo Posts: 26member
    Well this all may be moot.

Just called the MacMall store where I bought it 2 days ago and they are telling me that even though the box is still sealed they will not take it back.

(Even though on the receipt is says that Apple branded items can not be returned if the seal has been broken)

Currently pursueing other measures. (like contacting corporate about the policy discrepancy)

I mean, cmon, they'd stand to make MORE money by accepting the return and selling me a higher priced G5 Dual 2G
  • Reply 24 of 39
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    I'd say flip a coin...

The G5 will have much longer "legs" than the G4, if you're planning on keeping a machine for 5 years, then get the G5. If you're gonna upgrade sooner, keep the G4.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I always hear people say this, but what kinds of problems has Apple historically had with 1st gen machines? Of course you're going to get better specs and features in later machines, but have there been actual flaws in 1st gen machines?

Uh. Yeah.

I have a 1st gen B&W, it's ata controller is FUBAR. If you add more than one drive it randomly corrupts data and kills drives. Oops. The only solution is to buy a 3rd party ata pci controller, that's $70, on top of the price of the second drive.

I've got a 3rd gen icebook, the 700 w/16mb Radeon Mobility - and if you tilt the screen too far forward the screen turns off and won't turn back on unless it's put to sleep and brought back. Anything less than a 90° risks doing this. This a manufacturing flaw suffered by many. My combo drive WON'T eject when on a flat surface. I have to tilt it, and usually physically pry the thing open as the mechanism tries to eject.

AppleCare will take care of the iBook, but I'm SOL w/my B&W... don't have enough cash for the pci card on top of the drive.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    josephgjosephg Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I always hear people say this, but what kinds of problems has Apple historically had with 1st gen machines? Of course you're going to get better specs and features in later machines, but have there been actual flaws in 1st gen machines?

Off the top of my head:

-Original iMacs had some problems with modems not being able to break 28kbps, and Apple denied there was an issue.

-Original Titaniums PBs tended to be floppy and have their batteries disconnect.

-Powder coating flaking off Titaniums*

-Hinges breaking on Wallstreets and Titaniums*

*I don't know if these last 2 were specifically 1st-gen issues, but Apple seems to have addressed them in later updates.

OK, so maybe not such a convincing list of problems (and no PowerMac issues), but this is just off the top of my head; I'm sure there are more, just as there are bugs with any 1st-gen electronics (and with cars too).

If you can wait, then I think it's worth avoiding hassle. True, Apple will fix problems if the machine's under warrantee, but it's still a big pain to give up your computer to repair. Is it worth the downtime and disruptance?
  • Reply 27 of 39
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by josephg

Off the top of my head:

-Original iMacs had some problems with modems not being able to break 28kbps, and Apple denied there was an issue.

-Original Titaniums PBs tended to be floppy and have their batteries disconnect.

-Powder coating flaking off Titaniums*

-Hinges breaking on Wallstreets and Titaniums*

*I don't know if these last 2 were specifically 1st-gen issues, but Apple seems to have addressed them in later updates.

OK, so maybe not such a convincing list of problems (and no PowerMac issues), but this is just off the top of my head; I'm sure there are more, just as there are bugs with any 1st-gen electronics (and with cars too).

If you can wait, then I think it's worth avoiding hassle. True, Apple will fix problems if the machine's under warrantee, but it's still a big pain to give up your computer to repair. Is it worth the downtime and disruptance?

How about more recently? I remember no signifigant problems with the first gen white ibooks and I don't recall any major problem with the new imacs though I could be wrong.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Yes, it is perfectly safe to buy a g5.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

Now where I MAY lose money is return shipping the additional 52x CDRW LiteOn internal drive I just ordered for the 2nd optical bay of the G4.

you don't have to return it. just get an IDE to firewire drive enclosure and you'll be able to use it with your new machine.

at least that's what i'd do. you can pick up the enclosures (nice ones with the Oxford 911 bus for $70 from Dell)
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

you don't have to return it. just get an IDE to firewire drive enclosure and you'll be able to use it with your new machine.

at least that's what i'd do. you can pick up the enclosures (nice ones with the Oxford 911 bus for $70 from Dell)

Very true. Excellent point. And yes I'm all about the Oxford 911 chipset. Gotta love that bridge. (Bought an 80G External Firewire hard drive with the oxford 911 from OWC last year. Works great!)
  • Reply 31 of 39
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i have no idea why, but the Oxford 911 chipset seems to make a world of difference. i'd never use anything else.

best of luck with your decision, but i'd go with the G5 without hesitation.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Since you mentioned audio production, I would definitely get a G5. The G5 is awesome for audio, I am a producer and trying to get a G5 powerbook oncethose are out (hopefully in the next couple months). Plus the tower has optical in/out.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Verbal Assassin

Since you mentioned audio production, I would definitely get a G5. The G5 is awesome for audio, I am a producer and trying to get a G5 powerbook oncethose are out (hopefully in the next couple months). Plus the tower has optical in/out.

Ya if I could I would. After creating this post and being convinced I should get the G5 I called up the MacMall store where I bought the G4 to inquire about bringing the G4 in for an exchange.. or rather.. a refund and a pre-order... they told me no.

I told them the back of my receipt says that apple products cannot be returned if the seal has been broken..of which mine was still sealed in the box. They STILL said no. >shrug< I could take it further, legally, I'm sure but I don't need the headache.

I'll keep the G4 (heck, I have no choice it seems) and when the Rev B G5 comes out with the dual 3Ghz and Panther pre-installed... I'll re-evaluate. For now.. it looks like I'm stickin with the G4.

Best of luck with the producing. What programs do you use?
  • Reply 34 of 39
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tripleo

Ya if I could I would. After creating this post and being convinced I should get the G5 I called up the MacMall store where I bought the G4 to inquire about bringing the G4 in for an exchange.. or rather.. a refund and a pre-order... they told me no.

I told them the back of my receipt says that apple products cannot be returned if the seal has been broken..of which mine was still sealed in the box. They STILL said no. >shrug< I could take it further, legally, I'm sure but I don't need the headache.

I'll keep the G4 (heck, I have no choice it seems) and when the Rev B G5 comes out with the dual 3Ghz and Panther pre-installed... I'll re-evaluate. For now.. it looks like I'm stickin with the G4.

Best of luck with the producing. What programs do you use?

You don't need to take it further legal as long as you used a credit card. If you paid cash or used a bank card you are screwed. Simply tell them that you didn't break the seal, you don't want the machine, you are going to dispute the charge and where the hell do they want you to send their machine.

You have done the equivelent of refusing delivery. I have dealt with MacMall in matters like this before and they were assholes. Go further up the customer service chain and you will get the resolution you desire.

Hope you paid with a credit card.

Heck I just read it a bit more closely, you walked it out of the store. Just walk it back in, set it down, and tell them the charge will be disputed. Tell them the machine is not leaving the store with you and they can choose to refund your money or not get their money via the disputed charge. Eitherway you are not taking the machine and they are not getting their money.

Nick
  • Reply 35 of 39
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Open it, use it for a few days and sell it to me for 1000 Canadian.

haha..

Technically, the reciept does not say you "can return un-opened merchandise" it says "you can't return opened merchandise" A key difference.

Still, I think that there is a return policy if you contact them within 14 days, and there are laws about that in some states, but you have to check. They probably do not protect you from eating a restocking fee though. If Macmall did not explicitly state that all sales are final at the time of purchase...

Well, it's all really academic, as Trumpetman pointed out, if you used a credit card, you'll have better protection from them than you would from the law. Do not open it, and contact your card company immediately, you may be able to argue that you refused delivery, though your argument may be harmed if you signed a delivery slip/invoice.

PS.

If I were Macmall, I wouldn't take it back either, Apple usually hangs their retailers out to dry when it comes to model changes, and if you sold a machine, would you take it back knowing that it's virtually impossible to get back even your cost?

The moral of the story is: ALWAYS check AI before buying.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Dear Insiders,

Help!

I am in a dither. I was all set to place a pre-order for a 1.8 GHz G5 this morning when the rumors about a 1.8 GHz dual processor started to fly. My G3 B&W is getting long in the tooth and the HD is showing signs of sputtering old age. Now's the time to move on. I have a Firewire iBook so I can weather the time 'til the G5 appears at my doorstep.

Questions:

Should I wait (next week, by the rumors, or even longer) until this 1.8 dual processor business shakes out?

Should I go ahead and place an order so, at the least. I am in the pipeline for a G5?

Should I order at the Apple Store (online or at my local dealer) to ensure that if there is a coming change in configurations I have some leverage to upgrade my order to a dual processor if I want to?

Will an Apple reseller allow me to upgrade to a dual after I order the single? I was plannning on doing business with ClubMac to save on my state sales tax. Is that dumb?

Any wise advice or informed opinion is most welcome. Thanks for your time and interest.

Umm! One other question:

I don't do heavy graphics or games etc., just Photoshop Elements stuff, iPhoto and web browsing. How much RAM do I need?

The Lady...
  • Reply 37 of 39
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Lady Of The Lake

Dear Insiders,

Help!

I am in a dither. I was all set to place a pre-order for a 1.8 GHz G5 this morning when the rumors about a 1.8 GHz dual processor started to fly. My G3 B&W is getting long in the tooth and the HD is showing signs of sputtering old age. Now's the time to move on. I have a Firewire iBook so I can weather the time 'til the G5 appears at my doorstep.

Questions:

Should I wait (next week, by the rumors, or even longer) until this 1.8 dual processor business shakes out?

Should I go ahead and place an order so, at the least. I am in the pipeline for a G5?

Should I order at the Apple Store (online or at my local dealer) to ensure that if there is a coming change in configurations I have some leverage to upgrade my order to a dual processor if I want to?

Will an Apple reseller allow me to upgrade to a dual after I order the single? I was plannning on doing business with ClubMac to save on my state sales tax. Is that dumb?

Any wise advice or informed opinion is most welcome. Thanks for your time and interest.

Umm! One other question:

I don't do heavy graphics or games etc., just Photoshop Elements stuff, iPhoto and web browsing. How much RAM do I need?

The Lady...

The dual 1,8 ghz is just a rumor. The G5 are not even currently shipping, there is no chance that they go dual now. Imagine if Apple announce dual 1,8 in september, it will drive crazy many former buyers of the single 1,8 ghz. It will be a marketing disaster, a sort of betrayal from Apple to the customers who where the first to order G5.

The dual upgrade processor is a good question, but nobody is really able to answer.

512 MB ram will be perfect for your needs.

I have the feeling that the single 1,8 ghz will be perfect for your needs.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    What's your definition of "heavy graphics"?

Heavy graphics and games would qualify for 1GB of RAM, IMO. You'll probably want to get that much later on anyways.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i honestly can't fathom why anyone would suggest a g4 over a g5, the benefit is too great and gives you alot longer product life for usefulness

...i swear some people are just jealous and want to believe that their g4's are JUST as good and so they are recommending them!

that said i have a g4 and like it very much, but my dualie will as some would say r0x0r