2010 (Winter) Olympics Vote

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Final decision in Prague 07/02/03. Politics, qualifications, bids...

Who do you think should win?

I vote Vancouver, eh.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Can't vote for Vancouver because that would just move Tahoe or whereever farther down the line.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    it'd be nice if Vancouver got it (I voted for Vancouver), since it would sort of make up for Toronto not getting the Summer games a while back. but frankly, i'm just fed up with the IOC's antics.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Yeah the Olympics can lick my nuts those bastards. But I gave it to our good buddies of the north.....GO WILD!!! You deserve it after what we did to you
  • Reply 4 of 18
    I'm glad Vancouver got it. Vancouver is an enjoyable city to visit and it is in fairly scenic setting. I think the city will be well received by visitors and the media. Whistler is booty wack but whatever. Plus it won't really be that cold even in the winter. I might try to get tickets, would be cool to go to the Olympics at least once in life although I would imagine all of the tickets pretty much get funneled to corporate types and the scraps are priced to make you feel the pain while also being in enormous demand. We could even day trip there although I would imagine they will virtually shut down the border with massive security.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Being a (north) American I had to go for Canada.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    vancouver bad....

that means no NYC in 2012
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

vancouver bad....

that means no NYC in 2012

Pretty much.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Pretty much.

i dont get that logic.

europe has athens and italy back to back, and after that is china.

i really cant see NYC losing.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

i dont get that logic.

europe has athens and italy back to back, and after that is china.

i really cant see NYC losing.

Atlanta 1996

Salt Lake 2002

Vancouver 2010

New York 2012

I just don't see that happening.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    If NYC gets the Olympics I will fellate applenut.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    The economy in the western Canada is very bad. This victory could be a big boost.

I was so nervous and couldn't sleep at all last night. Now I am relieved...
  • Reply 12 of 18
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Murbot sharpens teeth, or invests in straws?

NYC is not out of the question, there's going to be a lot of non-NA IOC action for the next 3 games. Then NY can play the WTC-international city card, and guilty Eurocrats will vote for it.

Anyway, if I'm still in Canada in 2010, I'll make way over to Vancouver to check out the action, and cheer the Canuck lads and lasses (or lassies, depending on your sport!)
  • Reply 13 of 18
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Atlanta 1996

Salt Lake 2002

Vancouver 2010

New York 2012

I just don't see that happening.

Montreal 1976

Lake Placid 1980

Los Angeles 1984

Calgary 1988

I don't see a problem, unless the Europeans on the IOC decide to "punish" the US. The Winter Games basically alternate between North America and Europe anyway, and it seems perfectly reasonable for the US to average every fourth Summer Games.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

Montreal 1976

Lake Placid 1980

Los Angeles 1984

Calgary 1988

Sarajevo 1984.

My point being... well, you never know what shit is waiting for you around the corner.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

Montreal 1976

Lake Placid 1980

Los Angeles 1984

Calgary 1988

I don't see a problem, unless the Europeans on the IOC decide to "punish" the US. The Winter Games basically alternate between North America and Europe anyway, and it seems perfectly reasonable for the US to average every fourth Summer Games.

Montreal and Lake Placid were consecutive summer and winter games. Lake Placid and Los Angeles had two in between. I think more countries now are capable of hosting the games... and the Winter/Summer stagger introduced at Lillehammer change things.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    And oh, who're the other contestants for 2012? I have to admit that I'm kind of partial to New York. I would pretty much like to see the city getting this thing.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    josephgjosephg Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

And oh, who're the other contestants for 2012? I have to admit that I'm kind of partial to New York. I would pretty much like to see the city getting this thing.

Paris, Moscow, London, Madrid, among others
  • Reply 18 of 18
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I for one am happy for the city of Vancouver (New York hardly can be said to "need" the Olympics, even in bad times it is the most prosperous city in the world). I'm also happy for the people in British Columbia. I'm sure they will do a hell of a job.

All I know is, I'm buying tickets to the hockey and skiing venues as soon as they're available. Assuming I'm you know...still around. *knocks on laminated wood*