'2D on Quartz Extreme'

bihbih
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was reading an interview with two ATi engineers over at Inside Mag Games [http://www.insidemacgames.com/features/view.php?ID=240]. In it, one of them mentions '2D on Quartz Extreme', which (apparently) finally offers 2D acceleration from graphics cards for the GUI.

Quote:

In Jaguar, Apple innovated using the 3D hardware to accelerate the window manager interface. In Panther they built on their previous work and leveraged Quartz Extreme to create really cool apps and effects that improve the user's experience, such as picture in picture in iChat AV, tiling all the on screen windows in Expose, the cool 3D cube transition when switching between multiple users, and also the "2D on Quartz Extreme" technology which apps can enable, that lets OpenGL handle drawing the contents of windows and can result in up to 10x speed boosts.

Read the article and tell me what you think. Will this speed up window resizing?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Seems like the next logical step, but would that mean that Quartz (.pdf) rendering is done by the GPU?! Hm, all this stuff is over my head.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    We'll be seeing more and more of that, as GPUs get more sophisticated and more programmable.

• Reply 3 of 13
    Why would applications need to enable this feature?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Window resizing is smoother, tho I'm not sure a window with heavy amounts of info will ever be perfect, but it's damn close now.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

We'll be seeing more and more of that, as GPUs get more sophisticated and more programmable.

That we'll be be seeing more of what BuonRotto doesn't understand or more of 2d Quartz acceleration?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    The former, obviously!
  • Reply 7 of 13
    More of what BuonRotto doesn't understand. I've heard that it's Steve's personal mission to leave the poor guy baffled and poleaxed.

Quote:

Originally posted by Mac The Fork

Why would applications need to enable this feature?

Remember that this is from ATi's point of view, which is pretty far down the system. Since Apple's Foundation and frameworks are part of almost any application, Apple should be able to turn it on in a way that doesn't require the software that end users think of as applications to worry about it if they don't want to.

On the other hand, there are some things, like window resizing, which are application dependent, and in that case, it really would be up to the individual application to make whatever calls would allow the GPU to do some of the lifting involved in resizing and reflowing the contents of the window - to the extent that's possible, which will vary.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    There is such a thing as Quartz 2-D Extreme. The OS guys would not tell us much about it afterwards except that some support is making its way into the frameworks. Apparently the holdup is that they don't want to write a whole framework that would have to be redone when GPUs can handle Quartz drawing directly.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

More of what BuonRotto doesn't understand. I've heard that it's Steve's personal mission to leave the poor guy baffled and poleaxed.

Whoa, careful there, boy! Your're gonna hurt yourself tryin' stunts like that.

Quote:

From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913):

Poleax \\Pole"ax`\\, Poleaxe \\Pole"axe`\\, n. [OE. pollax; cf. OD.

pollexe. See Poll head, and Ax.]

Anciently, a kind of battle-ax with a long handle; later, an

ax or hatchet with a short handle, and a head variously

patterned; -- used by soldiers, and also by sailors in

boarding a vessel.

-----------------

From WordNet (r) 1.7:

poleaxe

n 1: an ax used to slaughter cattle; has a hammer opposite the

blade [syn: poleax]

2: a battle ax used in the Middle Ages; a long handled ax and a

pick [syn: poleax]

v : fell with or as if with a poleax [syn: poleax]

• Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Whoa, careful there, boy! Your're gonna hurt yourself tryin' stunts like that.

I've been a gaming geek long enough to know what a poleaxe is, boy.

Apparently your dictionaries missed the most entertaining definition (and the one I used) which means stunned or struck speechless.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    So, is this similar to what GLterm does now?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Mildly similar.

If 2D acceleration is real, then to be useful it's going to have to be as transparent to the user and developer as QE is... GLterm replaces all the text rendering of Quartz with its own, based on X11's font system. Heck, it may just require you to install X11 and use that, but in any case it's not Cocoa/Carbon/Java compatible.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    The original quote seems a little muddled. Expos?~ is possible on systems without QE, but the cube transition isn't, according to Panther reports so far. So it would seem that the person's referring to Apple's leveraging Quartz more in general.