12" PowerBook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
well my friend just got one and i was on it and i am very impress, i even considered getting one instead of the dual gig G5 to save me money and be portable...but i guess i can't cuz i need a computer that will last me for the next 4-5yrs so i should go with the fastest i can get

but its really nice, except it gets pretty warm but it seems to run OS X snappily and i can't wait till it gets panther on it i get it will be even better

eh sorry for this pointless thread but i was just really impressed at how nice it is (i knwo the specs and i've seen pics but never used one)

i think my favorite might be the keyboard setup...besides the keypad part the keyds are layed out nice and i am completely comfortable typing on it

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

eh sorry for this pointless thread but i was just really impressed at how nice it is (i knwo the specs and i've seen pics but never used one)

It wasn't pointless. I appreciated it.

I'm stuck between decisions here. Get a tower or a lap top with an external display? I ask myself. I've been using iMovie, fun stuff what you can do with video. The reason I don't do more humorous video clips of my friends is that my comp is just too slow for that. PowerMac 350 with OS X.2.6.

G5 is the shining star, but man that thing is big and expensive for a home computer. Where's my mini-tower grrrrrrrr.

So I'm thinking a PowerBook would be perfect for what I need and would be portable. The 12" I really like. Nice and small and very portable. But I also am wanting that 20" display and also want enough juice in the CPU to not have to wait while iMovie renders a clip.

Decision decisions.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i would consider it alot more if they updated it, and notebook for college would be so nice but i am thinking since i wnat a comp for 4-5 yrs perhaps a tower would be for more (that and 5yrs sound like a long time for me not to do somethign to my powerbook)

i'd have to get an applecare plan and then i'd only have 2yrs to worry
  • Reply 3 of 15
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    You know what? If the revved PowerBook came out with a 1GHz chip (maybe even that newer one from Motorola we've talked about lately), DVI and L3 cache, I would - no questions asked - by that model instead of the 15" I'm currently lusting for.

I think it would really be cool to have a 1GHz G4, FireWire, SuperDrive, AirPort Extreme, etc. in such a small, light case.

But I want it to be a performer, you know? In 8 or so months, I don't want to feel like I have to go through all this again. All PowerBooks should have DVI and L3 cache, that's just true. Then you simply make your buying decision based on screen size, budget and/or ergonomic/space concerns. But you don't "take a hit" for getting the cool 12" model. You should be able to hook any Apple PowerBook to any Apple display.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    I'm quite happy with the VGA connector on my 12" PowerBook. It doesn't bother me that I can't hook it up to flat screen monitors (probably because I have a 19" tube based monitor )
  • Reply 5 of 15
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Are all flat screens digital then? I'm probably not as up on this stuff as I should be. If I got a 12" PowerBook with no DVI, my only choices as far as external monitors would be CRT ones?

Someone clear this up for me, please.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Many LCD monitors are VGA input only (i.e. the less expensive ones... not implying less expensive always == lower quality), some have both VGA and DVI inputs. So, if you have a 12" PB you can hook up most LCD monitors to it... some just take more efforts than others (i.e. you may need a DVI-VGA adapter, or if you try an Apple LCD then one of those $300 dongles).

Ast3r3x, if Apple makes the next rev of the PB to have L3 cache, it may be an option to buy a 12" PB and start a perpetual 6-12 month upgrade cycle depending on revision improvements, so long as you'd be willing to transfer files from old PB to a new PB.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Many LCD monitors are VGA input only (i.e. the less expensive ones... not implying less expensive always == lower quality), some have both VGA and DVI inputs. So, if you have a 12" PB you can hook up most LCD monitors to it... some just take more efforts than others (i.e. you may need a DVI-VGA adapter, or if you try an Apple LCD then one of those $300 dongles).

Ast3r3x, if Apple makes the next rev of the PB to have L3 cache, it may be an option to buy a 12" PB and start a perpetual 6-12 month upgrade cycle depending on revision improvements, so long as you'd be willing to transfer files from old PB to a new PB.

what do you mean, upgrade every 6-12 months...just selling mine and getting the new one?

Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Are all flat screens digital then? I'm probably not as up on this stuff as I should be. If I got a 12" PowerBook with no DVI, my only choices as far as external monitors would be CRT ones?

Someone clear this up for me, please.

IIRC LCD's are digital by nature and many manufacturers add digital to analog converteres into them because most computeres are digital
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

what do you mean, upgrade every 6-12 months...just selling mine and getting the new one?

Yep, that's what I meant.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Yep, that's what I meant.

haha does that work...i know u dont know but estimate or averages, what would i avhe to put up everytime?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    I'd guess around $200-$300 if you upgrade at the 1st rev available (usually that 5-7 month one)... maybe $500-$600 if you upgrade at the 2nd rev available (10 - 14 months).

Of course, there's all sorts of extraneous factors i.e. being able to reuse Airport cards (i.e. if I sell my iBook to move to a 12" PB, then i have to get an Airport Extreme card), memory, increasing/decreasing prices of revisions as time passes... which can increase/decrease how much you have to shell out each time. Also, with random deals by Apple (i.e. bundled printers free after rebate), there's a chance you can save $50-$100 if you're willing to do the rebate and sell on forums or eBay.

If the 12" PB stays at around a $1600 point (I'm guessing you may not need the Superdrive right now)... I can't imagine a used one going below $1000 in a year's time, hence my estimates above.

For reference, it cost me about $150 to go from a 700 iBook to 800 iBook. I skipped the 900 iBook rev, I may go up to the next rev of the 12" PB and try the upgrade cycle on that (money isn't such a huge deal for me now that I've been working over the summer as an intern).
  • Reply 11 of 15
    hmm...that sounds good but almost kinda risky

i do suppose that may be a good thing to do for a portable and i may have to do that, because it'd be so nice to have a portable but then again i lose the power of a desktop

decisions decisions

haha i am going to wait, get a desktop and see how it goes...if i feel the need for a PBook next year while i'm at college maybe i'll trade for it...cuz i think one of the reasons i want a PBook so bad cuz cuz i dont like having to wait for the G5 haha
  • Reply 12 of 15
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    heh, why don't you ask murbot how hard it is to switch macs?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

heh, why don't you ask murbot how hard it is to switch macs?

haha i guess he would be the ideal person to ask...he sell his 12" for the G5 yet?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    cwedlcwedl Posts: 11member
    I will get a 12" powerbook for uni but it has to last me for 3 -4 years as well.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by cwedl

I will get a 12" powerbook for uni but it has to last me for 3 -4 years as well.

i can't imagine it lasting me that long, i mean i fee like i have alot more upgrade options with the G5 now...RAM, HD, Graphix card...i can even see overclocking teh G5 eventually since it seems almost to be setup for it with the fans increasing ordecresing with the temp