Groceries...you bag them?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just wondering...

I was just in the grocery store and had about 4 bags of stuff. I always have the cashier bag 'em. Maybe, maybe I'll help if their is a long line...BUT...

...this fella behind me today kept shaking his head and staring at me...muttering, "well, hmmm, huh...WELL I never...". When she finished bagging he did it again. I asked him if there was a problem and he said, "Well, it's common courtesy to help the cashier with bagging so many items..." I replied, "Well, it's common knowledge that I am the customer here and she's the cashier." I smiled and thanked the cashier gave the dickface a "killer psycho" look and left to return my four bags of groceries three blocks home...

At my Barnes & Noble retail slagheap of a job I don't offer the customer to bag their own books or gift wrap their books themselves...I HAVE TO DO IT. It's part of my measly pitance of a wage job. That cashier probably gets paid more ****ing money than I do anyway.

Nothing against her. Just these Emily Post, Yuppie, PC Wack-offs I'm tired of...ok rant over...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artman @_@

rant over...

I think a good Belgian beer would help a day like this Art

Fellows
  • Reply 2 of 14
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    yeah, I work(ed) as a cashier in (my) supermarket(s) and I always did the bagging, no big deal... I mean it was my job... never had a problem with customers complaining with each other about it... but I like to think thats because I did such a good job
  • Reply 3 of 14
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    haha

It seems I'm destined to always, ALWAYS, have the one customer with no change, digging to pay in pennies that last 37 cents, a credit/debit problem, just noticed the expired milk, wants to return some out of warrantee stuff, etc etc... Or I get the "make work program" socially challenged, half-way house, remedial checkou trainee... Damn.

As for helping? Sometimes I do, when I need to take extra plastic bags, why spend money on garbage bags when they're giving them away? Sometimes I don't.

Lip from yuppie scum? KILL KILL KILL, shoulda asked here to re-pack something delicate.

My favorite passive agressive manouver involves the gas station close to work. It's a packed super-station job by the last intersection to the highway near a rich area of town. Gas is often 2-3 cents cheaper and it's filled with lineups of go-getters shuffling home in the afternoons. Because I can manouver into any spot quick, I seldom wait at the pump. When it's really really busy, I like to make sure an squeege and towel dry ALL my windows and mirrors, then go inside and pay, and buy a few lotto tickets or something. hehehe.

If someone shuffles right up the ass of my car, then I take extra care to avoid streaks.

It's not something I do purely out of spite, the road salt they throw around up here turns your windows grey in just half a commute in the winter.

But this one time, a lady actually got out of her SUV in ultimate yuppie bitch entitlement mode "Are you finished?" Wry smile crosses my face, I pull out the squeege and start on the mirrors, "not yet."
  • Reply 4 of 14
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

But this one time, a lady actually got out of her SUV in ultimate yuppie bitch entitlement mode "Are you finished?" Wry smile crosses my face, I pull out the squeege and start on the mirrors, "not yet."

I would have loved to see that!!

I know what a character you are Matsu

Shhh

Fellows
  • Reply 5 of 14
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

I think a good Belgian beer would help a day like this Art

It's too easy to agree with you on this one.

As for groceries, I bring my own bags and help when I can. It's simply because I always had to do it when I was growing up and my mom didn't want the idiot baggers to put the cans on top of the eggs.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    We do all that yourself here. We also pay for the bags and take place the bags on the conveyer belt (do you call them that?). A good cashier here is one who scan the bags first so I can start putting the groceries in the bag right away and be finished when I have to pay.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I wish I could bag them myself: here in Pittsburgh the local market ("Giant Eagle") they make sure to use about a hundred bags for every 20 items. But they hire people who really need work; either very very old (I mean "gosh aren't you too old to walk" kind of old) mentally handicapped or desperate immagrants for doing the bagging: and they all do a great job . . . but too great of a job!!!!

I try to tell them, 'oh we can put that in with these items' and they politely pretend that Im an idiot and don't know what's good for me and pull out another ten bags anyway . . .

I try to remember to bring canvas bags with us, but almost always forget. Besides, in Pittsburgh, in my neighborhood, if you do that kind of thing you might as well be a Martian!

so, by the end of the week we are recycling about 5 pounds of crumpled plastic bags . . . . its such a waste.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

So, by the end of the week we are recycling about 5 pounds of crumpled plastic bags . . . . its such a waste.

Yep, And where I live, the state government is about to slap a levy of 10c for every plastic bag used in supermarkets and convenience stores...

I prefer to bring in my own "net" bag & carry in my own backpack . This is usually more than enough.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Quote:

haha

It seems I'm destined to always, ALWAYS, have the one customer with no change, digging to pay in pennies that last 37 cents, a credit/debit problem, just noticed the expired milk, wants to return some out of warrantee stuff, etc etc... Or I get the "make work program" socially challenged, half-way house, remedial checkou trainee... Damn.

As for helping? Sometimes I do, when I need to take extra plastic bags, why spend money on garbage bags when they're giving them away? Sometimes I don't.

Lip from yuppie scum? KILL KILL KILL, shoulda asked here to re-pack something delicate.

My favorite passive agressive manouver involves the gas station close to work. It's a packed super-station job by the last intersection to the highway near a rich area of town. Gas is often 2-3 cents cheaper and it's filled with lineups of go-getters shuffling home in the afternoons. Because I can manouver into any spot quick, I seldom wait at the pump. When it's really really busy, I like to make sure an squeege and towel dry ALL my windows and mirrors, then go inside and pay, and buy a few lotto tickets or something. hehehe.

If someone shuffles right up the ass of my car, then I take extra care to avoid streaks.

It's not something I do purely out of spite, the road salt they throw around up here turns your windows grey in just half a commute in the winter.

• Reply 10 of 14
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Not only when it's someone who has offended or mistreated or been thoughtless to you, but you'll go out of your way -- especially choosing the times when it's busy -- just to be an annoyance to anyone you think is might be from the "rich area of town"? A rough unexamined guess at someone's economic status is enough for you to decide that being deliberately rude without provocation is a good idea? And you think this is clever and funny and something to be proud of?

Grow up.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    you can always donate the used plastic bags to a local dog park. they're great to pick up after your dog with.

• Reply 12 of 14
    I think of it as teaching patience, not as being rude. Not that I am unprovoked, someone has to pay for whatever might go wrong during the day, who better than anonymous motorists, or people on the internet?

Besides, it says complimentary window wash, how complimentary would it be so if I didn't make full use of it? Have you seen the price of gas, or noticed the collusion, or those ridiculous stickers they put on the pumps in response to people's growing resentment of price fixing? They're a treat, breaking down the price of gas at the pumps so that they show 1% profit, and sensing the ridiculousness of that, a new sticker that argues the poor oil companies only make 2%. At 2%, I'd shut down, sell off my stake in the business, buy a 3-5% GIC's and retire, who the fvck are they kidding? Gotta get your money's worth at the pumps, and while it seems unlikely that my window cleaning extravaganza could bankrupt Shell, or Esso is that Exxon in US? As in all things, it is my goal that all who transact with me profit as little as possible from the exchange, be that haggling the last bit of mark-up out of a retail item, or insisting on an expanded definition of warantee coverage, companies can make money elsewhere, that's what the other customers are for. It's all good fun. hehehe

Why not blame the yuppies, and the upper-middle class for that? Even if it doesn't make sense, we blame them for everything else, might as well throw in the price of gas. And if we accidentally mistake the middle class for the wealthy, well, seems to be a long standing government tradition. I at least have the spirit of the nation in me, don't I?

And anyway, it's not like it really take longer to fill a car than it does to squeege the front, back and sides o the car, I'm ussually done drying the mirrors (can't squeege them) just a moment or two after the pump stops. But the looks you get from people. Now that one time, it was Feb and "COLD" I think it was pretty obvious I wasn't doing it just to annoy her as I was freezing my ass off, but I'm a stickler for being able to see out the windows. Sometimes, when it's not busy, I pull into a self-serve and just squeege all the glass without buying any gas. Heck, I'm a customer, it's not like I won't be back and haven't been there before...

Oh there are so many practices to help ease the malcontented urbanite, or the suburbanite forced to endure the city on a semi-regular basis.

Take "Mother with child" parking. Untill I see a city by-law tag on those obnoxious pink signs, I'm parking in them, period. WTF? It's bad enough the handicapped get all the good spots, and they don't even have to walk, now pregnant women and mothers get the rest of the close parking and I have to dredge around because of this sexist tripe? What about fathers? Not that "Parent with Child" suits me any better, but then I'd at least be able to pack a child seat in there to keep my "parking buddy" carboard cutout silhoutte company on the "3per/taxi-bus" commuter lanes.

So long as the world is arrayed against my efficient progress, I must continue the good fight. Really, I'm like a new age Ghandi, inconvenience through non violence as a means of protest. I'd look for followers, but really were talking about a set of rules and allowances that apply to me alone, for if anyone else followed them, they might inadvertently school me in patience, and that would most inconvenience me, though patient guy that I am, I'd take it out on the next guy.

I need a blog.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    nixinixi Posts: 49member
    Matsu,

I think I'm not the only one who is offended by such a display of your amoeba-like IQ. This said, I won't ask that you grow up - your disfunctionality seems to've been past on to you genetically.

Sad, really?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Offensive? That's a straw man! You're offensive! HA.