I did it... I installed Panther...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

But, with the new APIs of Jag, there are many programs that will run on 10.2 and not on 10.1, including many Apple apps.

yeah, but what I am saying is that if you upgrade to the later version, apps that worked fine before will now be broken in the newer version, which is NOT the case with X at all...

of course there will be apps that work on 10.2 and not 10.1, but the reverse (10.1 but not 10.2) is most likely not present in apps you have to pay for...
  • Reply 42 of 45
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

yeah, but what I am saying is that if you upgrade to the later version, apps that worked fine before will now be broken in the newer version, which is NOT the case with X at all...

of course there will be apps that work on 10.2 and not 10.1, but the reverse (10.1 but not 10.2) is most likely not present in apps you have to pay for...

Again, can you give an example from microsoft. I don't know of any, but they have dozens(hundreds?) of apps.

Of course it's possible to write something that won't work except on particular configs, but win32 is pretty backwards compatible. 3rd party tools like virus scanners and norton crap is often version specific because they use internal api's and hooks, that aren't guaranteed to be maintained.
  • Reply 43 of 45
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    well if they switch to the subscription model like i talked about a few posts ago that would be one example... I am not familiar with windows apps so I can't give a list but I'm sure they are out there...

oh and some good examples are things like drivers... although that is a bit different...

my cousin has had many things break when his father updates XP on his machine... curiously his 98 desktop works "fine"...
  • Reply 44 of 45
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

Ah, I see. I misread your post.
  • Reply 45 of 45
    willywalloowillywalloo Posts: 408member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

I think Panther is far more worthy of the price tag than Jaguar ever was.

Barto

Jag came out with the finally of progs that we needed. And was a 'free' fer all. Panther is just the next step, and it's proving to be a good one.