Does Apple purposely delay for effect?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I would think to be competitive, Apple would reveal their newest products as fast as they can develop it. However, sometimes holding back announcements seem to have a useful effect. As product launches go, Apple's seem to be the most anticipated ones.

So I'm wondering how much of this is calculated, some masterful plan to build pent up desire for hardware. Product updates are approx. 6-8 months but have risen to about a year in some cases.

Look at the frenzy over the G5. And now the hugely anticipated Powerbook 15.

The result is that the buying public is so satiated for new Mac products that they're ready the moment any announcement is made.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I've often wondered this too. Seems like they certainly do go ridiculous amounts of time between product upgrades/revisions (major or minor).

How long was the LCD iMac untouched? How long has the 15" TiBook been at its current spec? The fruit-colored iMac DVs went from October 1999 to July 2000 with no update at all. When they DID "update" them, it was with all new colors (Sage, Ruby, etc.).

But you know what? I can't really complain because in both cases (iMac DV and LCD G4 iMac), I bought mine and went 9 months and went 1 year, respectively, in having the "king of the hill" and enjoy knowing that I plunked down money for something that wasn't upgraded/improved 2 months later for $200 less!

I'm hoping lightning strikes a third time with my upcoming PowerBook purchase. I hope I get it in, say, August or so. And they don't get revved until next May or June!

Going by previous events and history, I could say I feel pretty secure in that wish!

I really don't think they're going to release new PowerBooks now then again in less than 6 months, with a G5 no less. I think any MAJOR PowerBook update/revision (read: G5) will be next spring 2004 at the earliest. Because I'd bet that it, like the tower, will necessitate a bit of a redesign in the PowerBook itself.

UNLESS Apple, knowing their future in the power/pro gear lies with the G5, designed these aluminum PowerBooks looking ahead a bit, trying to make them easily modified to use this new chip when the time comes?

Of course, I'm just speculating wildly here. I have no idea whatsoever...
  • Reply 2 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    no...the pent up effect on the g4 was 2yrs haha and although at tech sites and AI it was a great important thing, many people still have no idea

guess its a good thign these are pro machines though, cuz the pro's know about them
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Inventory management, production startups, Job's ego.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights

Inventory management

Yes.

Quote:

production startups

Yes.

Quote:

Job's ego.

Nope. Egotistical? Yes. Stupid? No.

Technological challenges.

Yes.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Yes.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Of course they do, just like they purposely deflate the product specs.

"Heck, they dont need specs that good, Just stick a budget video card in the high end"

"We have to wait to ship these computers because they are so far superior in technology than any PCs that we can afford to keep you waiting"
  • Reply 7 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

The result is that the buying public is so satiated for new Mac products that they're ready the moment any announcement is made.

Actually "Satiate" means "to satisfy" ...I don't many of us are satisfied with this torture. I think a better word is "emaciate" I know I feel Hardware starved after one of Apples long droughts
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Actually "Satiate" means "to satisfy" ...I don't many of us are satisfied with this torture. I think a better word is "emaciate" I know I feel Hardware starved after one of Apples long droughts

Mac Fanatics: The Few, The Proud, the Anorexic.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I can't believe that Apple would delay a product for more than a couple of weeks to make an announcement. First of all, they usually announce products before they are ready. It is usually only software that is available the day of the announcement.

Once the decision has been made to manufacture a new product you want to get it out the door ASAP. Delays in getting product to market are very costly. Not just in actual dollars (inventory, warehousing, interest on loans, etc.) but in terms of product freshness. A graphics card may only be considered really good for six months. If you waste two or three months of that life trying to position a product release of your laptop you are giving up a lot of customer interest.

Apple makes products that are challenging to manufacture. I am sure they struggle with schedules a lot. Also, Apple is a very large company with many groups with competing interests and agenda. That alone could explain some of what we perceive as product delays.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    On a related note of product annoucements...

Does anyone beside me think Apple has not taken advantage of their retail space when it comes to product announcements??

When iLife was introduced with updated versions of iPhoto, iDVD, and iMovie, why wasn't iLife installed on the demo Mac's the next day? My store had a huge banner but no apps.

When the 12" and 17" Powerbooks were introduced it took weeks for the 12" to arrive in stores and at least a month for the 17".

When the new iPods were introduced, why weren't demo units in the stores the next day??

Why isn't there a G5 tower in the Apple stores? It doesn't have to boot. Hell it doesn't even have to be a computer. Give us the casing with plastic internals.

I really think Apple is screwing up great opportunities to display their newest product offering. How many Wintel users see some news story of a new Apple product, take the time to go to local Apple store only to find nothing.

I don't get what Apple is up to.