CrushFTP Server

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Anyone using this?

I am still testing it. I love it so far. Very powerful. I really like virtual file systems. The thing I hate most is that it is a little clunky and messy in terms of the GUI. Otherwise I like it.

I wanted to get feedback from you guys before I put mine into production. Any comments?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    dark seraphdark seraph Posts: 104member
    this is the first ftp, wait, actually second ftp server sofware I messed with when I started going all ftp apeshi+.

Its nice and feature rich, last I remember though it was really annoying as it was slow to respond and being java based things seemed even slower to me...

just my review...

use osx server now, satisfies all me desires...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    When you say "slow" do you mean the GUI on the server from an admin's perspective in general is slow, or do you think that clients are connecting and transfering data "slow"? Seems to me that connecting takes a second longer, but I can't tell if the transfers are taking longer. Still need to do more testing..
  • Reply 3 of 3
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

When you say "slow" do you mean the GUI on the server from an admin's perspective in general is slow, or do you think that clients are connecting and transfering data "slow"? Seems to me that connecting takes a second longer, but I can't tell if the transfers are taking longer. Still need to do more testing..

My experience with CrushFTP Server:

I use it regularily when not serving through a NAT, i.e. for LAN-clients on a switched 100Mbit full duplex network. It's indeed slow for file-listing and it's incredibly slow at serving a copy of many smaller files. It's transfer speed is very good though, when the network is not choked, I get close to the possible maximum at such a LAN. Downside is that it eats CPU, often around 60% on my dual gig, which is disastrous for me since I use my mac for more than one purpose. I use it for hosting a couple of Quake 3 Arena dedicated servers, ftp-serving, and then playing either Warcraft 3 or Quake 3 on top of that. The FTP-server often chokes the rest of the system by claiming too many CPU-cycles, and the games become a dog.

But CrushFTP is excellent if it's alone on the mac.

Btw. anyone got to make this thing work through an NAT?