You So Crazy.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What's the most crazy thing you've ever done? Extra points if it includes jail time.

I've recently decided that my life isn't crazy enough. I don't do enough silly-crazy things. I've done some silly things with the intent of being crazy, but they usually just come out silly. Hardly life-changing or awe-inspiring. Most recently I had some friends mohawk my head; it's cool and I can't wait to see the reactions at work, but I need more. Anyone got any good ideas. Or has anyone ever really gone overboard and freaked people out, or freaked yourself out? Let's hear some fun stories.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

What's the most crazy thing you've ever done? Extra points if it includes jail time.

I've recently decided that my life isn't crazy enough. I don't do enough silly-crazy things. I've done some silly things with the intent of being crazy, but they usually just come out silly. Hardly life-changing or awe-inspiring. Most recently I had some friends mohawk my head; it's cool and I can't wait to see the reactions at work, but I need more. Anyone got any good ideas. Or has anyone ever really gone overboard and freaked people out, or freaked yourself out? Let's hear some fun stories.

I suggest jumping from the top of a tall building... naked of course, or perhaps wearing a tutu.

Definitely crazy. Definitely awe-inspiring. (Do you see that? I think the splatter spread two blocks away!) Very definitely life altering. Will certainly shake a few people up, and that is, after all, the spice of life.

Just make sure the ground is clear at the bottom of the building, so if someone down there wants to keep their boring life intact while you fly free from the bounds of boring sensibility.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    consider public castration? It would be great for a laugh and get you all the attention you could want...possibly some jail time too, maybe psych ward attention as well.

• Reply 3 of 22
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    The building thing would be good. But you don't want to make it look like suicide, so what you need to do is put a big-ass trampoline at the base of your 10 story building. Then jump onto the trampoline and see where it takes you. Definitely some crazy shit right there I'd say...
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

The building thing would be good. But you don't want to make it look like suicide, so what you need to do is put a big-ass trampoline at the base of your 10 story building. Then jump onto the trampoline and see where it takes you. Definitely some crazy shit right there I'd say...

A trampoline won't stop you from slamming into the pavement like a meat meteor, but it does add wonderfully to the look of stupidity, as if you think you'll be performing a cool stunt.

Nice touch.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    jonathanjonathan Posts: 312member
    i manage to **** up every good relationship that i get into, completely unwittingly.

is that crazy?
  • Reply 7 of 22
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    No. That's called 'male'.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

A trampoline won't stop you from slamming into the pavement like a meat meteor, but it does add wonderfully to the look of stupidity, as if you think you'll be performing a cool stunt.

Nice touch.

• Reply 9 of 22
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Everything I used to do and considered 'crazy' now lies firmly at the feet of 'incredibly stupid'.

[edit: I was putting together a list 'by age' but got to 'spraying my body hair at age 18 with bug spray and lighting it on fire...' and decided to quit.]

The craziest thing I do nowadays is post to AppleOutsider.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    You want crazy,

How about giving your credit card to your new girlfriend and letting her have a field day....
  • Reply 11 of 22
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Doggie Fizzle Televizzle
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

You want crazy, How about giving your credit card to your new girlfriend and letting her have a field day....

I would like to file a motion to have this one moved from "crazy"

to "Top Ten Reasons Why You Need Therapy".
  • Reply 13 of 22
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Back in the lovely days of neither myself or none of my friends having to work we would skate my friend's halfpipe all the time, it was out in his yard year round. One summer it sat untouched for a while, and when we returned to it we found that it had a bees' nest in it. We used a ridiculously large bottle rocket it clear it out. We didn't really think that it would be possible for the firework to fly out from inside the halfpipe. On the other side of his garage from the halfpipe there used to be this huge field. Used to be...

I have a few stories that are right on that crazy/stupid border, but I will need to revisit this thread some time tomorrow as I am almost falling asleep.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Skydiving (you know you're crazy when you freak out the instructor by hauling him on your back like a backpack and running out the back ramp of the cargo plane screaming like a banshee...)

White water rafting Class V holes.... without the raft. High school, we'd wear shorts and tennis shoes. The shoes were to bounce yourself off the rocks, feet-first.

Amsterdam. 'Nuff said.

Piercings. 'Nuff said.

Betting my undergrad class they couldn't score a class average of 85% on the next test... then shaving my head when they did.

Deciding that jumping a snowbank on a BMX bike as a kid was a good idea... (see, the force per square inch on the front edge of the tire impacting the snow bank will overcome *any* amount of compaction and icing you can do to that surface, guaranteeing that said tire embeds itself in the snow bank firmly, sending all the momentum to the rider who becomes airborne rather quickly...)

Jerryrigging a demo in chem class involving thermite to produce a reaction about 10x what the teacher was expecting.

Hanggliding at Kitty Hawk in winds that the instructors didn't want to be out in, catching a bad side gust that crammed the left wingtip into the top of a sand dune, cartwheeling at high speed down said dune (they're big out there... 100' or so), to find that you have just earned the distinction of being the first student they've had to snap a wing off a glider. And walk away from it.

Going over Guardsman's Pass from Big Cottonwood Canyon, Utah, to Park City, Utah. In January. Turning Jeep sideways on said pass, (did I mention it's one lane, no guardrails, and a few hundred feet down?) and *not* jumping out as it slides all the way down the mountain road, somehow making the turns sideways, at about 1mph. The drivers of the 20 or so off road vehicles at the bottom of the other side had their jaws hanging open when I threaded between them obviously coming down a pass they weren't even about to attempt going up...

Hmmm. Maybe there's a reason my high school guidance counselor signed my senior yearbook "Why are you still alive?"
  • Reply 15 of 22
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

I would like to file a motion to have this one moved from "crazy"

to "Top Ten Reasons Why You Need Therapy".

I wonder what the other 9 reasons would be....
  • Reply 16 of 22
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

Some ways to be truly wierd:

Like Alfred Jarre: ride your bicycle backwards everywhere . . . or walk backwards.

Give your money away

talk without using the word 'the' . . . . or even better avoid the letter 's'

Be as 'normal' as possible: including looking so normal that all your 'extra-normal' friends no longer think you're 'cool' -try to 'conform' - after all, it is the only truly non-conformist thing to do

Pay to see movies and make sure to leave after 45 minutes . . . . then write your own ending and refuse to find out how the real movie ended.

Don't buy anything for over a week!

Give your money away some more

Walk places

Tour very mundane places as a tourist: industrial parks, ex-industrial parks, large strip-mall parking lots or the places behind strip malls:

when you find the most ordinary place paint a landscape painting of it.

Break any habits by simply not doing them because they are a habit.

just some thoughts off the top of my head

I hate the sanctioned forms of being 'wierd' like dyed hair et al . . . been there done all that and so did a zillion other people
  • Reply 17 of 22
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

..snip.. Don't buy anything for over a week!

...snip...

Walk places...snip...

This whole last week I have had to walk to work because my car failed inspection. Getting it to pass is costing me so much I haven't been able to buy anything in about a week.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    After my initial smartass response, I'm feeling an urge to address this topic more seriously.

I didn't select a choice in the poll, simply because I thought the range of choices was far from complete and there was no good answer to choose.

The poll seems to be founded on the premise crazy = stupid = cool, which hardly makes sense. "I'm a freaked out trickdaddy."? The vapidity of this is stunning. "I've recently decided that my life isn't crazy enough. I don't do enough silly-crazy things." This statement gives the impression that you really don't have anything to live for beyond the next big sensation, the next manufactured rite of passage, and an inane desire to show everyone what a cool, freaky guy you are.

Risk taking can be a great thing -- you can't live much without some risks. I know some people so stodgy that they thought I was crazy to go to Zambia to see a total solar eclipse -- anything a bit outside the well-beaten tourist tracks was outside of their comfort zones. But I weighed the risks (really quite small) against the awesomeness of the experience (and awesome it was) and saw any small risk well as worthwhile.

I'd jump at a chance to fly on the space shuttle... which given the shuttle's track record means a roughly 2% chance of dying. The adventure would be more than worth the risk for me.

Now, how well does the chance to fly into space compare to doing the asinine stuff that happens on Jackass? Risking life and limb to do what... drive around in golf cart in stupid ways? Or what about the kids (in real life, not on Jackass) who jumped from the top of six-storey hotel into a pool a few months ago, where one of the kids struck the edge of the pool and smashed his legs? Yeah... severe pain, medical bills that someone else has to pay for, and life-long disability so he could show how cool he was to his friends. Was the benefit of participation in this stunt ever worth the downside risks?

I think sometimes risk-takers falsely reduce all risks to live or die -- if I mess up, hey, I won't be around to care. They seem to forget all about being stuck paying for stupidity for the rest of a long and debilitated life.

I sometimes regret having used my real last name for a screen name here on AI, because it constrains me from getting into too much detail about my personal life. Suffice to say, however, that in my own way, I've definitely gone to the edge and beyond in a few areas. So don't mistake my attitude as being a recommendation for a dull-as-dishwater sheltered life. It can sometimes be one of the finest, deepest ways of living to put how you live over how long you live.

But I never have said to myself "Heh heh. This is so crazy and stoopid... it'll be cool!" I value life far too much to think that asinine pointless stunts that appeal to a sniggering 12-year-old sense of humor constitute worthy investments of risk.

As far as so-called "stupid" or "crazy" things that aren't very risky in terms of life or limb... maybe worthwhile, maybe not, depending what it is. Getting back to Jackass... shitting in a display toilet in a store? That's is definitely stupid without a trace of being cool, nothing more than being immature, stupid, and thoughtless to others that would have to deal with your mess. Chimpanzees get a real hoot out of throwing their feces at each other, and I personally would like to think my sense of humor has evolved beyond that a bit. Would I look down on a teen or adult who acts more like a child or a chimp? Absolutely.

A lot of other stuff that goes into the "crazy" category... tattoos, piercings, etc. Pretty dull if you ask me. Prepackaged McRebellion™. Yes, you can be Different™ too -- just like everyone else.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

I didn't select a choice in the poll, simply because I thought the range of choices was far from complete and there was no good answer to choose.

twas the point, as with all the polls i've made. a bit of a chide against polling, with attempted humorous options.

Quote:

The poll seems to be founded on the premise crazy = stupid = cool, which hardly makes sense. "I'm a freaked out trickdaddy."? The vapidity of this is stunning. "I've recently decided that my life isn't crazy enough. I don't do enough silly-crazy things." This statement gives the impression that you really don't have anything to live for beyond the next big sensation, the next manufactured rite of passage, and an inane desire to show everyone what a cool, freaky guy you are.

well, i didn't say i'm going to kill myself if i don't soon go bungee jumping or something. i'm just lookin to shake up my life out of the 9-5 a bit. i haven't yet accrued world domination, nor even tried heroin yet, so clearly i have something to live for. as for jckass, i figured it was the most mainstream thing i could relate the idea too, so passersby could get into it (deep down, i guess i'm just a marketeer). i agree with you that some of the shit they do is just stupid-stupid, and not cool-stupid. i guess the intent of the thread was to hear some stories about some fun things people have done, particularly things which were dangerous and exhilerating.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    As for the stupid and life threatening stuff, definitely have to be hitting nearly 60MPH on a crappy little 18-speed, 24" mountain bike...going downhill. It was mostly gravity doing the job, as over 30MPH you can pedal as fast as you want and it wont even catch. And that's on a curvy, 1.5 mile stretch of blacktop coming off of the top of a bluff, sans helmet. I think that if I would have hit a pothole going that fast, the front rim definitely would have just snapped, and for a moment I would have been going faster than the bike as I got racked by the handlebars, before hitting the pavement head-first and dying.

Sweet.