28 days later...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I haven't seen a topic for this so I figured I'd start one! I went and saw this last night and I wanted to know what other people thought. IMO it was pretty damn good and even though it's not the most original movie out there, it was done well. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but I'd like to say that I thought the ending was great and not exactly what you'd expect from the genre and past horror/zombie movies. Though the best part was the really hot English people!

Post your opinions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I really enjoyed the film and would recommend it to people. I like Zombie films though.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    mggmgg Posts: 124member
    I haven't seen it, but it looks really good.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    seen it.. good. i bought it on dvd 3 weeks ago.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    wolfeye155wolfeye155 Posts: 425member
    It's not one of those where the camera shakes and you can see the top of people's heads, is it?

I keep thinking about the movie and that must mean it's good right? I mean, if it can get the viewer to think about it after they see it...that's gotta be good.

PS - Very nice sig. Giaguara. Another great movie directed by Danny Boyle! It's too bad so many people haven't seen it though...
  • Reply 5 of 30
    I'd recommend it...a real return to form for Boyle and Co. (ie, making good films instead of shite like The Beach). Like the GYBE tracks too. I picked it up on a bootleg DVD a few weeks back, but I want to go see it in a full theater just to check out crowd reactions.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I think subconsciously I've been avoiding oing to see it just because of its billing. It's being described as a "sleeper" hit in all the reviews I've seen yet I see more TV spots for 28 Days Later than Finding Nemo or Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Here is the Movie trailer from the Apple website:

Link if you dare [countdraculavoice] BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA[/countdraculavoice]

Fellows
  • Reply 8 of 30
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Meh, I thought the first 15 minutes or so were absolutely exceptional, but once they left London, they lost it. The premise is there, and very promising, but they just don't develop it very well. I mean, it just kinda degenerates into a "Lord of the Flies" type thing, and loses the one thing it had... the hauntingly-silent-horror originality.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I agree 100% with bauman. Fell apart when they met up with the soldiers, could've done completely without that entire segment of the movie.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I agree 100% with bauman. Fell apart when they met up with the soldiers, could've done completely without that entire segment of the movie.

so why don't you become a screenwriter then

i like it
  • Reply 11 of 30
    wolfeye155wolfeye155 Posts: 425member
    I actually enjoyed every bit of the movie. I'll break it up into three parts:

(1) London - Just plain creepy. i.e. Silent Hill. WTF?!

(2) Trip to Manchester - Very artistice shots. Enjoyed the parts shot in DV to have that gritty effect. Also very creepy gas station scene.

(3) Soldier Fort - Holy Sh*t. Edge of your seat thriller. It DOES somewhat turn into a "Lord of the Flies" deal. And that was the point. How these people are supposed to be fighting against the zombies yet they can't even control themselves and turn against each other.

I loved it...both times I've seen it. I plan to go see it one more time and then wait for the DVD! Let's hope they do a good job with it. Please no paper case!
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Out of most of the people I've talked to it seems like I'm the only one taken aback by how amazingly sexist this film asks us to be. We're to believe that after 28 days men are driven to rape little girls?

Of course, this is made more palatable by building on yet another sexist stereotype: the soldier as depraved animal. The main soldier talking about how before the infection it was nothing but death anyway. What ludicrous garbage; unless he was in Baghdad the UK military hasn't been doing much killing at all lately.

When they left London it turned very south. Moralizing preaching garbage and I'm supposed to reflect on my nature when Jim goes apeshit (gouging a guy's eyes out with his thumbs) and then does a 180 to happy-go-lucky in 10 seconds? Right.

I wanted to see some goddam zombies wrecking shit on grainy film, not some half-baked moral play.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    [edited]

Groverat, is your woman aiming to tackle social-issue cases in her legal career by chance? Or are you just that atuned to all that is sexist (in either "direction")? Honestly...just curious where your sensitivity to those issues comes from.

• Reply 14 of 30
    I am sensitive about many issues, Moogs, not just gender issues. And you know this, man!

Why do you think I have 800,000 posts?

I don't like sexist portrayals of men because I'm a man.

I don't like sexist portrayals of women because I know and love many women.

And I also hate it when artists use foolish stereotypes as a crutch. "Boo," I say, "BOO!"
  • Reply 15 of 30
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wolfeye155

I actually enjoyed every bit of the movie. I'll break it up into three parts:

(1) London - Just plain creepy. i.e. Silent Hill. WTF?!

(2) Trip to Manchester - Very artistice shots. Enjoyed the parts shot in DV to have that gritty effect. Also very creepy gas station scene.

(3) Soldier Fort - Holy Sh*t. Edge of your seat thriller. It DOES somewhat turn into a "Lord of the Flies" deal. And that was the point. How these people are supposed to be fighting against the zombies yet they can't even control themselves and turn against each other.

I loved it...both times I've seen it. I plan to go see it one more time and then wait for the DVD! Let's hope they do a good job with it. Please no paper case!

Really? You have got to be kidding. I'm in complete agreement with London, but the trip? Yes, let's use a 1920 era car to drive. WHY!?! I suppose it makes it a bit more thrilling, but when you are reduced to using old cars to make things thrilling, something is wrong. It would have been better without the car. The car just made things... too easy.

The first part in London was successful because it seemed REAL. I mean, it made you feel like you were the one disoriented and waking up after 28 days. Once they went on the road trip, they started to lose that connection. Would Jim (read:you) really go into that Gas Station... even after they had all the food they needed? He had been out for long enough that he knew better. Sure, it was scary, but there wasn't a connection. I didn't feel like my life was being threatened anymore, like I did when we were still in London.

Once they got to Manchester, it just all fell apart. Again, it was scary, but it lost the originality of the silent, ghost town approach to zombies. They used old stereotypes (like groverat points out) and cheap thrills to try to keep the movie going.

And then the ending does not do justice to the way they began things. Sure the whole 28 days later was a cute tie in, but I would have rather seen that part of their struggle than the section in the castle. It kinda gives you the feeling like you cheated... you know, that superficial happiness that you did it, but it just wasn't complete? Exactly.

Oh, and groverat, all I have to say is "YAY!" for:

Quote:

II don't like sexist portrayals of men because I'm a man.

I don't like sexist portrayals of women because I know and love many women.

And I also hate it when artists use foolish stereotypes as a crutch. "Boo," I say, "BOO!"

• Reply 16 of 30
    Quote:

We're to believe that after 28 days men are driven to rape little girls?

No, just the military. It takes less than that to get them going in Japan.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    I agree that the ball was dropped towards the end of the movie. The london bits were the most impactful. I'd also have appreciated maybe no hollywood ending. That Rambo shit was garbage. How about: Everyone dies, humanity is wiped out? Or everyone dies except main character, who then kills himself as he sees no reason to keep going?

For me, the focus of the movie was a) our fear of death (eg: zombies) and b) our fear of being alone. The london bits were all about being alone.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    bunge:

If you were any less clever you would not be able to use the keyboard.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:

If you were any less clever you would not be able to use the keyboard.

Sorry if the truth hurts.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Of course, this is made more palatable by building on yet another sexist stereotype: the soldier as depraved animal.

I'm sorry groverat, but I don't consider that to be a stereotype at all. Military people are typically closer to the animal kingdom than normal, full-featured people, whether you like it or not. What sane person would get into that territorium-peeing, he-ape testosterone scene and like it?